The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 7/31/2020 at 3:32 PM, Monty said:

For all you young folk. Keep active and eat well. This routine today wrecked me.

6CF6CBDE-365B-4FCF-B002-4143C0EF1206.jpeg.6d25d612599f28cbd9038e1ca8f5288b.jpeg

A63D19EF-7BAD-41D6-81B9-98554E216903.jpeg.5a6a1fccbe86ff3d364f679a3ed0ca60.jpeg

605EBC82-C400-48EB-9290-34B158484FB9.jpeg.ac9624f4f18d644697bb23d723a74f2b.jpeg

9950710F-7CA9-45AF-8D8F-04B4BA135BA1.jpeg.ae56697d9046496d3131a88b5d77bb00.jpeg

AE194E0B-0B0A-4A98-8D32-ED37B7045659.jpeg.22a9804c40045e6fe1c73f38e07b54ac.jpeg

That looks like a tough routine.  I always preferred doing my front squats in the smith machine.  I found it to be more comfortable.  All those exercises are killer though, depends on your energy at the end of the workout I'd consider adding 1-2 iso workouts.

I'll be able to go back to the gym September 1st (counting down the days).

I feel a little dumb though, just today I thought of putting my 5 & 10 lb dumbbells into my schoolbag to make a homemade rucksack for pushups/squats.

14 hours ago, BoKnows said:

That looks like a tough routine.  I always preferred doing my front squats in the smith machine.  I found it to be more comfortable.  All those exercises are killer though, depends on your energy at the end of the workout I'd consider adding 1-2 iso workouts.

Good advice. I'm terrible at remembering to do these after each workout. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Like 50/50 right now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Trying to superset pisses me off. I can't leave a station nowadays for 30 seconds without some asshole taking it from me. 

We're not allowed to superset at our gym. However, easily could. Massive gym in a "city" of 13,000, and there are usually only 6-8 people in the gym at a time when I go in the early afternoon.

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Trying to superset pisses me off. I can't leave a station nowadays for 30 seconds without some asshole taking it from me. 

Depends how busy your gym is. If it's busy, one person using multiple station at once is not acceptable. If you want to superset, bring a couple dumbbells to the station you're at and use them quickly between sets. However, mostly when I see people superset, they think they have the right to exclusive use of 2 or more stations, and then use them for 2-3 times the amount of total time.

Nothing pisses me off more than when a group of 2+ people think they can take over the only squat rack in the gym for 30+ minutes while they do some superset workout that requires 10+ sets each.

You have the right to exclusive use of a single station for about 5 minutes. Then it's somebody else's turn. Everyone pays fees. If you want your own private station, then go buy one and put it in your home.

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

just googled

will add to future routines

thanks

The video I see on YouTube shows a guy with the band under his feet. I set it up a few feet in front of me, stuck under a couple 45’s. Having the bar out front makes the band want to pull the bar up, which forces you to work to keep your shoulders down (not shrugging the upper trap, which a lot of people do when rowing) and makes your lats work hard to keep the bar from being pulled away. 

9 minutes ago, Monty said:

Ok good, so my lower back is supposed be sore :lol: 

Everywhere should be sore after that exercise lol but mostly upper back. maybe you were over compensating a bit. I miss having a barbell to work with only on dumbells now.

image.png.36e7af686e3b9e45b5f145f3842386f4.png

Been running(road & trail) & riding home bike machine, past few months. Now temps in Osaka are hitting 35 - 37 Celsius daily(w/humidity)

Exhaustion & endless skin rashes in uncomfy places..Aug is Hell.

To all who try to keep training thru these hellish months..I raise a beer glass in salute.

• 3 weeks later...

Day 1.

I'm back in the saddle. 

A guy I knew back in the day reconnected when I hired him to help me build my deck. He is an ex US Marine and at one time a top level Mauy Thai fighter. He is cut like a butchers dog. I was moaning about how far I had let myself slip over the last year during my move and then covid. He simply said, 'come work out with me and my son at the gym... 7am, we go 6 days a week'

General conditioning and weight training. I plan to go 5 days a week and take the weekends off. We did cardio and shoulders today. I was happy, despite my extra pounds, I wasn't struggling too much.

I'm stoked and my Fitbit seems proud of me. 

• Like 1

Well.. the planning of gaining weight hasn’t worked out so well this summer. I’ve been hiking so much and burning lots of calories. New plan is to start watching my macros a lot closer in September and adding more protein to my diet. I find getting enough protein is a bit of a challenge so I’m thinking maybe 1-2 protein shakes (powder and milk) per day will help.

If anyone has any dietary suggestions I’d love to hear it!