The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Well.. the planning of gaining weight hasn’t worked out so well this summer. I’ve been hiking so much and burning lots of calories. New plan is to start watching my macros a lot closer in September and adding more protein to my diet. I find getting enough protein is a bit of a challenge so I’m thinking maybe 1-2 protein shakes (powder and milk) per day will help.

If anyone has any dietary suggestions I’d love to hear it!

6 hours ago, babych said:

Well.. the planning of gaining weight hasn’t worked out so well this summer. I’ve been hiking so much and burning lots of calories. New plan is to start watching my macros a lot closer in September and adding more protein to my diet. I find getting enough protein is a bit of a challenge so I’m thinking maybe 1-2 protein shakes (powder and milk) per day will help.

If anyone has any dietary suggestions I’d love to hear it!

You shouldn't need to add protein through powders. A single chicken breast will have like 60-100 grams of protein, depending on size. The idea that you need, or could possibly even use, 150+ grams of protein a day is complete garbage made up by supplement companies. It might make a difference if you are taking steroids and need to maintain unnaturally large amounts of muscle. For the rest of us, just eat a few lean meats.

Even watching macros is totally unnecessary unless you're planning on cutting for a show or competing in the olympics. You just need to eat fewer calories while ensuring you are getting significant lean protein every day. Obsessing about macros is destined for failure.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 3:08 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Been running(road & trail) & riding home bike machine, past few months. Now temps in Osaka are hitting 35 - 37 Celsius daily(w/humidity)

Exhaustion & endless skin rashes in uncomfy places..Aug is Hell.

To all who try to keep training thru these hellish months..I raise a beer glass in salute.

My brother lives in Osaka. We went to visit him. It was not only hot, but so damp. We were staying in his apartment for 2 nights with just a fan....it was awful. And the apartments were so small too. Just having all the people in those close quarters breathing made everything damp...

• Cheers 1

Yesterday was my first day back in the gym since COVID.  I'm weak as $%$.  Did a push day yesterday, was doing light weight for volume and to help get my stabilization muscles back.  I'm pretty sore today but it feels good.  Going back today for pull day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

https://musclewiki.com

Whatever muscle group you select the website will show a bunch of workouts for it.

Wow that site is cool

I just finished my first week at the gym ( 5 days) 

I've always weight lifted and ran by myself but it was all just to help with my martial arts. Now I am focused on weight training with a partner. I'm very motivated. I am going to show him this web site. We are currently doing a workout based on Dwayne Johnson's routine...I full expect to be as muscular as the Rock and grow 6 inches in height. B)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wow that site is cool

I just finished my first week at the gym ( 5 days) 

I've always weight lifted and ran by myself but it was all just to help with my martial arts. Now I am focused on weight training with a partner. I'm very motivated. I am going to show him this web site. We are currently doing a workout based on Dwayne Johnson's routine...I full expect to be as muscular as the Rock and grow 6 inches in height. B)

Love to hear it.  Can you send me the routine?  I'm looking for a new program, I want get back to the intensity I was at asap.

Keep me posted about your progress I love to talk about this stuff.

@Monty how's your squat coming?

27 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Love to hear it.  Can you send me the routine?  I'm looking for a new program, I want get back to the intensity I was at asap.

I don't know all the exercises we will be doing as the guy I'm working out with is leading the way. He's one of those ex-marine, no body fat and ripped types. He's super nice and calm as most dudes that have little fears are. I am lucky to saddle up with him.

Here is the general overview, he goes 6 days. 

M- Run/cardio & Shoulders

T- Back  & Core

W- Legs (power)

Th- Biceps/Triceps

F- Chest & Core

S- Legs ( high reps)

Edit: there is light cardio everyday, we just focus more on Mondays, tread mill then elliptical. 

Edited by bishopshodan

15 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Thanks for asking, man.

Really well. I was doing doing 225lbs on one of my workout routines where I was bulking up. I've been switching up my routine every 4 weeks, so I won't get around to the routine with that one for another two weeks. Halfway through a more cardio routine, with more emphasis on increasing biceps a little. I have squats in every routine I do, though.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thanks for asking, man.

Really well. I was doing doing 225lbs on one of my workout routines where I was bulking up. I've been switching up my routine every 4 weeks, so I won't get around to the routine with that one for another two weeks. Halfway through a more cardio routine, with more emphasis on increasing biceps a little. I have squats in every routine I do, though.

That's good!  So with this routine are you looking to lean down a little?  A good compound movement for back/legs/biceps/core is T-Bar rows.  They're one of my absolute favourite exercises.  If you're doing a cardio heavy routine I'd probably focus on volume training.

54 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

That's good!  So with this routine are you looking to lean down a little?  A good compound movement for back/legs/biceps/core is T-Bar rows.  They're one of my absolute favourite exercises.  If you're doing a cardio heavy routine I'd probably focus on volume training.

This routine and the next routine are more lean workouts. I'm rotating between 4 workouts every 4 weeks. One of the 4 is strictly bulking up.

Never done the T-Bar, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Correction, T-Bar is in one of my workout routines. Not this one, though.

Edited by Monty

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

This routine and the next routine are more lean workouts. I'm rotating between 4 workouts every 4 weeks. One of the 4 is strictly bulking up.

Never done the T-Bar, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Correction, T-Bar is in one of my workout routines. Not this one, though.

The routine you have sounds like it kicks#$$.  Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

The routine you have sounds like it kicks#$$.  Keep up the good work.

Current one is tough. When I first started working out last year March, my personal trainer put together a routine for me, which I stuck with for 8 months. I was still new, so I didn't know how important it was to switch up your workouts every 4-6 weeks. Anyway, I'm currently doing that one again right now, and it's a killer. Working out at home during Covid was focused a lot on bulking up, as I had a lot of dumbbells, a barbell, and a bench; so it's been a while since I've done this routine. Really kicking my ass. But love it.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Current one is tough. When I first started working out last year March, my personal trainer put together a routine for me, which I stuck with for 8 months. I was still new, so I didn't know how important it was to switch up your workouts every 4-6 weeks. Anyway, I'm currently doing that one again right now, and it's a killer. Working out at home during Covid was focused a lot on bulking up, as I had a lot of dumbbells, a barbell, and a bench; so it's been a while since I've done this routine. Really kicking my ass. But love it.

Tough is good.  When I first started I did a "bro split" for well over 2 years.  I plateaued after a 1.5 of doing that.  Finally switched up my routine to be push/pull/leg days and quickly broke through my plateau.  I was about to switch up my routine before COVID hit.  Going to do my push/pull routine for a month to help me get to where I was pre-covid then switch it up.

Just made my first over workout plan.  I think it's pretty killer.  Let me know how I can improve it!

Spoiler

Push Day 1

308193326_ScreenShot2020-09-02at1_31_41PM.thumb.png.e0cb6a224ee1c3d523a758bf8c87bb47.png

Pull Day 1

2054363840_ScreenShot2020-09-02at1_31_47PM.thumb.png.469f9cd79dbbe54512055cf3204458bc.png

Legs

1122989053_ScreenShot2020-09-02at1_32_09PM.thumb.png.8bab2074ddc902dc77129313f3821402.png

Push Day 2

1621788060_ScreenShot2020-09-02at1_32_16PM.thumb.png.6b28363994b3ad498d7b1af08b00c088.png

Pull Day 2

1844551521_ScreenShot2020-09-02at1_32_38PM.thumb.png.8998752c6383181a153dab9723c183ec.png

The sets/reps acts are more of a guide.  Really excited to start this bad boy asap.

Edit: Changed from Goblin squats to Goblet squats:lol:.  Also added front squats to leg day (Volume - 3x8 *Smith Machine).

Edited by BoKnows
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/30/2020 at 6:19 PM, BoKnows said:

Little update. Seems like I may have been cheating on my form for my squats for a long time. Changed it a week ago, and now I'm really feeling it a lot. Not that I wasn't going far down before, but now I'm going all the way down (as much as possible). Feels good, but sore.

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

Little update. Seems like I may have been cheating on my form for my squats for a long time. Changed it a week ago, and now I'm really feeling it a lot. Not that I wasn't going far down before, but now I'm going all the way down (as much as possible). Feels good, but sore.

Squatting is definitely one of those exercises where you need your form to be A1 or else you are risking injury.

3 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Squatting is definitely one of those exercises where you need your form to be A1 or else you are risking injury.

I tweaked my form about 9 months ago, as I was resting the bar too much on my neck. Absolutely brutal pain. So much better, now.

The one exercise at the gym I cannot do, and am stating to think I'll never be able to do, is wide grip pull ups for my lats. Either I'm carrying too much fat still, I'm getting too old, or I'm too lazy. Combo or all 3, I'm thinking.

• Thanks 1