The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Not everybody’s Evander Kane. Didn’t he have like 5% BF at his combine or something like that? 

The picture definitely isn’t the most flattering or the best one to make an estimation off of. What I found more odd about it (anybody could look a little doughy in a picture like that) was the apparent lack of muscle definition in his shoulder and arm. 

I don't think he was ever 5 percent. 5 percent is the equivalent of an Olympic bodybuilder, and he'd basically look absolutely stripped of any kind of flesh. I would believe 10 percent though. 5 percent is completely unsustainable in the long run.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think he was ever 5 percent. 5 percent is the equivalent of an Olympic bodybuilder, and he'd basically look absolutely stripped of any kind of flesh. I would believe 10 percent though. 5 percent is completely unsustainable in the long run.

Some people are freaks and can walk around sub 10% without a ton of difficulty. This screenshot is from nhl.com, I googled “Evander Kane body fat”. 5 and below is basically a competitive body builder going on stage level and isn’t healthy to maintain long term. 

37C97465-5E12-4F40-8D1B-0863E27278B2.jpeg

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Some people are freaks and can walk around sub 10% without a ton of difficulty. This screenshot is from nhl.com, I googled “Evander Kane body fat”. 5 and below is basically a competitive body builder going on stage level and isn’t healthy to maintain long term. 

37C97465-5E12-4F40-8D1B-0863E27278B2.jpeg

Wow, that's a freak of nature. Absolutely insane.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Running is tough on my body too.  My right hip and ankle get tight during runs.

Beats up my joints too much. Running on softer trails seems to help a fair bit but I prefer to stick to the bike or doing sprints rather than longer distance running. 

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Running is tough on my body too.  My right hip and ankle get tight during runs.

Yep, trail running is my fav now and I prefer the treadmill over the pavement.

There's a mental health aspect to running through the woods too, getting back to nature, cleaner air, softer ground that is also uneven so it works your body more.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I perceive him to be leaning back, but it's a minor point. You bring up a good point - belly fat is not necessarily indicative of health/fitness.

True, the perception of what is healthy is shaped heavily by what we see often on social media/entertainment. Yet my understanding of someone being 'fit' is that someone who doesn't have a notable amount of body fat (I use a reference of 12-14 percent as the cutoff), but obviously that is an arbitrary standard. Other people who are involved in certain sports may be bigger down there, like Sumo or wrestling.

I was merely looking at this from an aesthetic point of view. This hockey player is proven, but I was just curious about how quickly he could bring it down to 'acceptable' levels.

His spine and shoulders are curved forward. That's going to make your belly look bigger.

But yeah, this guy still might be extremely fit, even though he has a little fat. Hockey involves working very hard for 30-45 seconds and then taking a rest. It's not a pure endurance sport, so a lot of players will have excess body fat, which isn't necessarily a disadvantage.

Look at the current Andy Ruiz Jr. He's the former heavyweight boxing champ and capable of going 12 round with the best boxers in the world. Fat as F though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, taxi said:

His spine and shoulders are curved forward. That's going to make your belly look bigger.

But yeah, this guy still might be extremely fit, even though he has a little fat. Hockey involves working very hard for 30-45 seconds and then taking a rest. It's not a pure endurance sport, so a lot of players will have excess body fat, which isn't necessarily a disadvantage.

Look at the current Andy Ruiz Jr. He's the former heavyweight boxing champ and capable of going 12 round with the best boxers in the world. Fat as F though.

Phil Kessel comes to mind.  Physically he’s a bag of milk, but it’s never been an issue for him. 

1 hour ago, taxi said:

I guess my idea of a modern hockey player is shaped by players like Kesler and Pettersson, both of whom have defined muscle (like having a 6 pack), which indicates low body fat percentage. Still that is usually what is seen by people as being fit.

I'm still not sure how you perceive him to be leaning forward. I'm looking at the seat and he is leaning on it, so that's why I think he's leaning back. If he's leaning forward, his head will be tilted forward and his back would be away from the seat. Maybe it's a visual illusion, just like his belly.

21 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’d say if it persists go see a physio. IIRC @NucksPatsFan is a physio himself so he may be able to give you better info or might be able to recommend a physio he knows in your area. 

@Dazzle Based on reading a few sentences on a message board and knowing nothing about your history or presentation, sounds like it could be likely 1 of 3 things.

1. Heel strike or toe strike versus a mid foot strike. Have a friend or your phone film you running about 20 paces. See where you make first contact. It could be a simple biomechanical fix by adjusting your foot strike which will reduce or eliminate repetitive trauma (ie. repetitive excessive stretches) with every step to the likely tight, weak ankle stabilizers, calves and even up to the popliteus and distal TFL.

2. Similar to above, but assessing the other end of the leg. Piriformis syndrome or even just piriformis tightening is very common when someone takes up running after some time off, and can change your hip positioning, which will alter your mechanics all the way down to your ankle and circling back to impairing your foot strike and ankle positioning.

3. Could be as simple as calf strains (similar to how your legs hurt a lot after squatting for the first time after a break) and over time as you stay consistent with the running the tissues will be able to meet the demands. 

I don't think it's anything related to compartment syndrome. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

@Dazzle Based on reading a few sentences on a message board and knowing nothing about your history or presentation, sounds like it could be likely 1 of 3 things.

1. Heel strike or toe strike versus a mid foot strike. Have a friend or your phone film you running about 20 paces. See where you make first contact. It could be a simple biomechanical fix by adjusting your foot strike which will reduce or eliminate repetitive trauma (ie. repetitive excessive stretches) with every step to the likely tight, weak ankle stabilizers, calves and even up to the popliteus and distal TFL.

2. Similar to above, but assessing the other end of the leg. Piriformis syndrome or even just piriformis tightening is very common when someone takes up running after some time off, and can change your hip positioning, which will alter your mechanics all the way down to your ankle and circling back to impairing your foot strike and ankle positioning.

3. Could be as simple as calf strains (similar to how your legs hurt a lot after squatting for the first time after a break) and over time as you stay consistent with the running the tissues will be able to meet the demands. 

I don't think it's anything related to compartment syndrome. 

I greatly appreciate that you looked into this!

I really never considered the heel/toe strikes (which I'll have to at least take a look at now) because I never had this problem recently. As for running again after taking some time off, I had been running a lot prior to this injury. I probably overdid it when it came to the running because I was running 4 or 5 times a week for about 40 mins at a pretty decent pace.

Based on what I said above - and this is before I look into the other factors of course - I think a calf strain is a lot more likely. That being said, I don't feel any sharp pain. It's a dull discomfort whenever I walk. When I do heel lifts, my calves are sore rather than painful. As I touch the achilles, it's more tender to the touch.

I'd probably need more than just 1 week and a half of rest right?

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I greatly appreciate that you looked into this!

I really never considered the heel/toe strikes (which I'll have to at least take a look at now) because I never had this problem recently. As for running again after taking some time off, I had been running a lot prior to this injury. I probably overdid it when it came to the running because I was running 4 or 5 times a week for about 40 mins at a pretty decent pace.

Based on what I said above - and this is before I look into the other factors of course - I think a calf strain is a lot more likely. That being said, I don't feel any sharp pain. It's a dull discomfort whenever I walk. When I do heel lifts, my calves are sore rather than painful. As I touch the achilles, it's more tender to the touch.

I'd probably need more than just 1 week and a half of rest right?

Would you describe it as similar to after you squat for the first time after a break, and the hamstrings are super sore to touch but it's not necessarily pain? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Would you describe it as similar to after you squat for the first time after a break, and the hamstrings are super sore to touch but it's not necessarily pain? 

Yeah, I will say the sensation is closer to soreness than pain. There's no sharp pain at any point in time. Squeezing the hamstrings feels like it's tired and sore. However it's not really the same soreness that one would get after a hard run. It's much lighter, but you know you're sore. It's kinda hard to describe.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, Dazzle said:

I guess my idea of a modern hockey player is shaped by players like Kesler and Pettersson, both of whom have defined muscle (like having a 6 pack), which indicates low body fat percentage. Still that is usually what is seen by people as being fit.

I'm still not sure how you perceive him to be leaning forward. I'm looking at the seat and he is leaning on it, so that's why I think he's leaning back. If he's leaning forward, his head will be tilted forward and his back would be away from the seat. Maybe it's a visual illusion, just like his belly.

Lol. 

Since when is Pettersson considered the pinnacle of fitness. He has a very underdeveloped physique for a professional athlete. He looks like a 15 year old who's never worked out before. Talented hockey player. If anything he just shows that hockey players don't need developed upper bodies to play at the top level 

Definitely leaning into his stomach. You can see the shoulders and back arching forward. Try it yourself. Sit and bend your shoulders forward. It's not a good look for anyone.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, taxi said:

Lol. 

Since when is Pettersson considered the pinnacle of fitness. He has a very underdeveloped physique for a professional athlete. He looks like a 15 year old who's never worked out before. Talented hockey player. If anything he just shows that hockey players don't need developed upper bodies to play at the top level 

Definitely leaning into his stomach. You can see the shoulders and back arching forward. Try it yourself. Sit and bend your shoulders forward. It's not a good look for anyone.

I didn't mean he represented the pinnacle of fitness. Rather, he had a clear six pack. That is the general look that people think of when someone is 'fit'

On 8/6/2021 at 5:30 AM, taxi said:

Lol. 

Ha yea go Petey but the guy could pass for a kid in grade 8.

• Like 1

How do you get around plateaus.

I used to have this problem back in the day too when I was proper bulking. I'm not now necessarily. I don't eat a surplus of protein, rather I eat enough calories to slowly put on weight. I've gradually my bench press and shoulder press over the past few months but now I've hit a wall. Bench press for example I am banging out a half dozen sets of 4/5 reps. Since the start of the year I've increased it by about 50lbs. Occasionally I've thrown in a few sets of even heavier weight and 3 reps. I've done a few weeks of lighter weight for 10/12 reps. Trying to "confuse the muscles" and "change it  up." I went back to try the heavy weight again the other day and I keep hitting that wall of not being able to make that weight feel more comfortable, or "comfortably" lift more than that. I'm considering going back to dumbell which will hopefully improve my bench with the bar, but beyond that I have nothing else to try.