The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Okay.  Old Alf made a serious commitment four weeks ago to put in a 10k 4 times each week.  Other than running over a few toes a couple times, I’m not seeing any benefits from these long scooter rides.  Maybe if I put a couple 5 pound weights (empties filled up with sand)  in the little basket?  Was it Richard Simmons who said carrying a couple smaller weights during longer outings could make for faster improvement?  Maybe if I did half up hill?  

My cardio is running late. 

• Haha 3

On 5/29/2022 at 1:26 PM, bishopshodan said:

Way to go man. That's great. I have never done a half, but will try one day. 

I hit a 58+min 10k a couple weeks back on my outside run which has some good hills so I was happy with that.

I have been upping my 5k treadmill runs at the gym, starting to get in the 27+min range.

I'm enjoying the path and not pushing too hard too fast, but I will get there. Been weight training a lot but will start adding some more cardio as the summer months come. Being a bit leaner/lighter should help with my run goals. 

Ran a 5k in 24:24 a few weeks ago! Haven't run much since bc the weather has been crappy and I seem to be fighting some sort of chest thing (makes the breathing a little tough). Starting to feel better - gonna hit up F45 regularly to get the cardio back up and start running more regularly again. I have another half in Sept so I need to stay on top of things:)

• Vintage 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome to page 3!  long way down lol!

Intermediate PF gym user here.  I know the value of low reps/high weight:  strength gains.

Question:  are there any muscles/exercises that I should NOT be doing that with in fear of damaging something?   It's ok to load up heavy on lat raises, leg/knee extensions and curls, tricep pulldowns, etc?   All all exercises fair game to do low reps/high weight?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, LTC123 said:

Welcome to page 3!  long way down lol!

Intermediate PF gym user here.  I know the value of low reps/high weight:  strength gains.

Question:  are there any muscles/exercises that I should NOT be doing that with in fear of damaging something?   It's ok to load up heavy on lat raises, leg/knee extensions and curls, tricep pulldowns, etc?   All all exercises fair game to do low reps/high weight?

Thanks,

Anything that will end up with an extension, hyper extension or jerking motion in the shoulder is 100% something to watch out for.  Form is everything when you are doing a lat raise or anything shoulder related.  If your shoulder/cup dips forward you run the risk of damage to the biceps tendon or pulling the latissimus dorsi to far forward which can affect your rotator cuff.  

Higher weight is always nice, but you will find that gradual weight increases instead of PR over time will get/net you a better overall result when used with higher rep counts.  Overload then negative sets.

• Cheers 1

Just bought the Cross Rope Strong model.

A 2 pound rope on its way and it's got me nervous.  Using a speed rope with a 22 pound weight vest and i'm at the point where 5-10 mins is not as much of a struggle.  Borrowed a friends get lean cross rope for a week and wow that 1/2 pound rope is amazing.  Using a 1 and 2 pound rope has me nervous but i'm excited for it.  After 40 it's all maintenance for me here on out.  Especially post covid and the damage it did to my lungs

Feeling good. Like I'm about to hit PRs again. Will try to squat 395lbs this week. Kind of sucks though, as I'm going on vacation for twelve days on the 6th of December, so I probably won't be able to hit four plates (405lbs) before then and will have to spend more time working back to to it. 

Was also benching 255lb the other day for a couple reps and with zero shoulder pain. Hoping to push for a 300lbs bench soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, taxi said:

Feeling good. Like I'm about to hit PRs again. Will try to squat 395lbs this week. Kind of sucks though, as I'm going on vacation for twelve days on the 6th of December, so I probably won't be able to hit four plates (405lbs) before then and will have to spend more time working back to to it. 

Was also benching 255lb the other day for a couple reps and with zero shoulder pain. Hoping to push for a 300lbs bench soon.

Shoulder pain is the worst.  No push or pull and so debilitating 

• 2 months later...

Looking for tips from any health nuts out there:

An issue I have with going to the gym is that I often suffer from insomnia. As a result, it's not uncommon for me to have only 5 hours of sleep or so in a day and be quite tired after work (which is when I have time for the gym). I'm then torn between going home and just resting because I'm tired or pushing myself despite my lack of sleep. What should I do? Is there a limit regarding sleep deprivation? What if I only had 1 or 2 hours of sleep the night prior?

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Looking for tips from any health nuts out there:

An issue I have with going to the gym is that I often suffer from insomnia. As a result, it's not uncommon for me to have only 5 hours of sleep or so in a day and be quite tired after work (which is when I have time for the gym). I'm then torn between going home and just resting because I'm tired or pushing myself despite my lack of sleep. What should I do? Is there a limit regarding sleep deprivation? What if I only had 1 or 2 hours of sleep the night prior?

I have the same issue as far as sleep.  The last time I had a good sleep was when I travelled to Bermuda for 24 hours and then slept 12 hours at my friend's place who lives there.

Normally I am lucky if I get 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I am at a place in my life where I don't have to work anymore so I end up at the gym at 6am most days.  Defiantly not ideal.

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I have the same issue as far as sleep.  The last time I had a good sleep was when I travelled to Bermuda for 24 hours and then slept 12 hours at my friend's place who lives there.

Normally I am lucky if I get 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I am at a place in my life where I don't have to work anymore so I end up at the gym at 6am most days.  Defiantly not ideal.

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?

I haven't been tested for any sleeping disorders, though I think there's a chance I have delayed sleep phase disorder, given how much easier it is for me to fall asleep later in the night.

• Cheers 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

Bump

Is that like a Burpee?

I kid. Good bump. I just got back from the gym for my Sunday run. I normally dont do cardio in the gym but its hot these days so I am like  hamster on the treadmill, no fun.

Chest day tmr...I stilll do the bro-split... love it, one body group per day with core and cardio sprinkled all over the place.

I have been considering getting into BJJ as I have a extensive background in striking but not much ground stuff. I used to drop into a grappling for MMA class and I loved it. Problem these days is that I have a shoulder and some hip business that are making me wonder if putting myself into pretzels would be much fun... gotta get my streching and yoga shiz going to see if I can't mend my wussy areas. 

38 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Is that like a Burpee?

I kid. Good bump. I just got back from the gym for my Sunday run. I normally dont do cardio in the gym but its hot these days so I am like  hamster on the treadmill, no fun.

Chest day tmr...I stilll do the bro-split... love it, one body group per day with core and cardio sprinkled all over the place.

I have been considering getting into BJJ as I have a extensive background in striking but not much ground stuff. I used to drop into a grappling for MMA class and I loved it. Problem these days is that I have a shoulder and some hip business that are making me wonder if putting myself into pretzels would be much fun... gotta get my streching and yoga shiz going to see if I can't mend my wussy areas. 

Just got really into it about 4 months ago. 6'0 down from 210 to 162. Absolutely addicted. 

You any good with the nutrition side things?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Just got really into it about 4 months ago. 6'0 down from 210 to 162. Absolutely addicted. 

You any good with the nutrition side things?

Dude. You are doing some good work.

Only nutrition I could suggest is eating good calories and lots of protein which is a task for me as a vegetarian.

You're 162, that is light enough at 6ft imo. I would now work on feeling good and looking the way you want in the mirror. Keep it up!

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Dude. You are doing some good work.

Only nutrition I could suggest is eating good calories and lots of protein which is a task for me as a vegetarian.

You're 162, that is light enough at 6ft imo. I would now work on feeling good and looking the way you want in the mirror. Keep it up!

Ya I don't wanna go lower then this. Need to start adding muscle

Was at 1900 calories initially, now I'm at 2500 realistically I should be at 3500-4000 to gain

I spend on average about 2.5 hours at the gym 35 of which are on the stairs ....something tells me losing the weight will appear easy vs gaining the weight back in muscle and looking how I want.

Just now, naslund.is.king said:

Ya I don't wanna go lower then this. Need to start adding muscle

Was at 1900 calories initially, now I'm at 2500 realistically I should be at 3500-4000 to gain

I spend on average about 2.5 hours at the gym 35 of which are on the stairs ....something tells me losing the weight will appear easy vs gaining the weight back in muscle and looking how I want.

Do you lift heavy?

I have found lifting lighter with more reps gives me way better muslce growth ( hypertrophy).

I find it easier but you have have really good form and mind/muscle connection. It still burns but in a different way than heavy sets.