The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

So I kinda figured out how to make my workouts last longer. I go 30-40 min at home, then 20-30 at the gym... Still counts :P

Also, I read an article that taking cold showers after workouts are good for you. Anyone do this? I tried today, and it's painful as hell...

really? i remember seeing a poster warning that jumping into cold water can stop you from breathing and stop the heart..

i don't think i'd ever take a cold shower even if it was good for me.

really? i remember seeing a poster warning that jumping into cold water can stop you from breathing and stop the heart..

i don't think i'd ever take a cold shower even if it was good for me.

I heard that you are supposed to alternate between warm and cold like 5 times or something like that

I heard that you are supposed to alternate between warm and cold like 5 times or something like that

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. kind of...

I felt a lot better coming out of the cold shower than I usually do when I take a hot shower. My muscles and stuff feels so much more relaxed.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone take pre workouts? My friends take them, and I always see people at the gym with them too. I've never tried it, just seems like a load of crap that isnt good for your body.

There are SOME days where I feel some what drained and wish I had the extra boost, but I dont think its worth it, any opinions?

Anyone take pre workouts? My friends take them, and I always see people at the gym with them too. I've never tried it, just seems like a load of crap that isnt good for your body.

There are SOME days where I feel some what drained and wish I had the extra boost, but I dont think its worth it, any opinions?

i say theyre worth it if youre actually serious abouy bodybuilding/powerlifting and the ones ive used seem to be effective. Ive tried jack3d. I usually get tired midway through my workout and the preworkout helps with that. I recently just started drinking gatorade instead of water at the gym and stopped taking preworkout.

I suggest you take it if you workout in the morning without eating much but other than that, some gatorade during your workout and a high carb meal preworkout is good enough.

• Upvote 1

i say theyre worth it if youre actually serious abouy bodybuilding/powerlifting and the ones ive used seem to be effective. Ive tried jack3d. I usually get tired midway through my workout and the preworkout helps with that. I recently just started drinking gatorade instead of water at the gym and stopped taking preworkout.

I suggest you take it if you workout in the morning without eating much but other than that, some gatorade during your workout and a high carb meal preworkout is good enough.

lol @ someone "serious" about power lifting recommending gatorade... or any sport drink for that matter.

Sport drinks are/were made for extreme workouts or athletes performing under extreme circumstances (such as hot weather, long durations) where you lose a lot of salt and electrolytes from your body. Sport drinks are VERY high in sodium and usually sugar too as they are meant to replace that lost during perspiration over a long period of time.

I can almost guarantee no fitness magazine, website or personal trainer will ever recommend sport drinks during weight training.

Stick with water.

But to answer the pre-workout question. I use C4 extreme, however I try to use it only on days where im having a hard time finding motivation or am very tired. I work graveyards, so I am usually not up until 1-2 in the afternoon and try to hit the gym around 3 after breakfast, some days I just need the extra energy or motivation and thats where the pre-workout comes in.

• Upvote 2

I started going to the gym about a 2 weeks ago and trying to bulk. The toughest thing I'm fighting is that I have this skinny fat type of body. I'm skinny, but I'm not naturally cut and have a little bit of flab on the belly. I'm currently making my own weight gainer by mixing milk, peanut butter, oats, whey protein and banana instead of using the commercial ones. I'm working out 3 days a week and see how my body reacts to this. Anybody here have the skinny fat body?

I started going to the gym about a 2 weeks ago and trying to bulk. The toughest thing I'm fighting is that I have this skinny fat type of body. I'm skinny, but I'm not naturally cut and have a little bit of flab on the belly. I'm currently making my own weight gainer by mixing milk, peanut butter, oats, whey protein and banana instead of using the commercial ones. I'm working out 3 days a week and see how my body reacts to this. Anybody here have the skinny fat body?

It's a pretty common body type for people who've never worked out.

Your home-made whey protein also defies the whole point of whey, which is to get concentrated milik protein and few calories. Your shake is diluted milk protein. Quite honestly, if I were you, I'd not worry about supplement at this point though. Just:

1) Lift consistently and properly. 3 times a week is enough if you are training efficiently. Do compound workouts everyday: squats, deadlifts, etc.. Make sure you know how to do these lifts. Challenge yourself here too. Try and lift heavier when you can. The funnest part about starting to workout is newbie gains. You can add mass and strength really easily at this point, before you hit "the wall", where it becomes a lot harder.

2) Eat lots of good food. Base your meals around lean meats. If you are struggling to put on size, you aren't eating enough. If your goal is mass, complex carbs like potatoes, pastas, etc... will be good to boost your calorie intake.

lol @ someone "serious" about power lifting recommending gatorade... or any sport drink for that matter.

Sport drinks are/were made for extreme workouts or athletes performing under extreme circumstances (such as hot weather, long durations) where you lose a lot of salt and electrolytes from your body. Sport drinks are VERY high in sodium and usually sugar too as they are meant to replace that lost during perspiration over a long period of time.

I can almost guarantee no fitness magazine, website or personal trainer will ever recommend sport drinks during weight training.

Stick with water.

But to answer the pre-workout question. I use C4 extreme, however I try to use it only on days where im having a hard time finding motivation or am very tired. I work graveyards, so I am usually not up until 1-2 in the afternoon and try to hit the gym around 3 after breakfast, some days I just need the extra energy or motivation and thats where the pre-workout comes in.

doesnt matter what it was made to do, all that matters is whats it does do. It has simple sugars that are made readily available for immediate energy use and is great for intra workouts. Water on the other hand takes 2-3 hours to be absorbed so that doesnt help much other than quench your thirst.

Stick with water.

A guy I know I'm sure has something to say about that.

He uses powdered gatorade all the time. As have I recently.

Plus, he just won a body building competition today for the first time, first attempt.

Obviously it's meant to be used when you're working hard, pissing sweat. Not standing around chit chatting with friends.

Most store brands of peanut butter are garbage = hydrogenated oil. It's about a step away from being plastic. Get the natural stuff or don't use it altogether.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

Where can I get ephedrine?

30mg of ephedrine, 40mg of caffeine, 10mg of aspirin and the fat will melt off 30 times faster than normal.

Don't listen to the people that say ephedrine will kill you, it will if you are a retard, like 300mg retard.

It's perfectly legal and sold at GNC in 8mg tablets in a bottle of 25 I believe

It's simple, eat 1g of protein per pound you weigh

Try to follow a 50% protein total daily intake. Try to keep fats at 30-40g and fill the rest with carbs from fruit and oats.

When you lift, do not worry about weight worry about form

Lift fast, let down slow, with full range of motion.

If you curl, put your back against the wall and rather than concentrate on the number of reps and weight you are lifting

concentrate on keeping your back against the wall until you fail.

As soon as you can't keep your form, drop it.

Form till fail!!!

Same with flys or bench, as soon as you lift your feet your done.

It's simple, eat 1g of protein per pound you weigh

Try to follow a 50% protein total daily intake. Try to keep fats at 30-40g and fill the rest with carbs from fruit and oats.

When you lift, do not worry about weight worry about form

Lift fast, let down slow, with full range of motion.

If you curl, put your back against the wall and rather than concentrate on the number of reps and weight you are lifting

concentrate on keeping your back against the wall until you fail.

As soon as you can't keep your form, drop it.

Form till fail!!!

Same with flys or bench, as soon as you lift your feet your done.

getting 30g of fat has nothing to do woth how much weight you gain/loss. Its all about being in a caloric deficit. Doesnt matter if you get 200g of fat or 10g. The deficit is what matters.

Just find your caloric maintanence and eat below it

getting 30g of fat has nothing to do woth how much weight you gain/loss. Its all about being in a caloric deficit. Doesnt matter if you get 200g of fat or 10g. The deficit is what matters.

Just find your caloric maintanence and eat below it

I like my calories from protein, it helps with muscle growth.

One could eat ice creme all day and stay below your BMR but that ain't giving you energy to make muscle

I like my calories from protein, it helps with muscle growth.

One could eat ice creme all day and stay below your BMR but that ain't giving you energy to make muscle

i wasnt very clear with my post so thats my bad, but what i meant was that it doesnt matter how you reach your macros for the day, all that matters is that you reach them. So you can get your protein needs from shakes or from meat, it doesnt matter.

The point i was trying to get across was that it doesnt matter if you eat 0g fat in a day, if you eat above your maintanence your going to gain weight and a beginner should just focus on getting their caloric needs and protein needs and worry about fats, carbs and micronutrients when they gain more experience.

Most store brands of peanut butter are garbage = hydrogenated oil. It's about a step away from being plastic. Get the natural stuff or don't use it altogether.

Yeah I use the natural peanut butter. Tastes way better too.

Just curious as someone who really isn't that into the whole structured workout thing:

I have no desire to lose or gain weight (I'm stocky/naturally muscular, about 6'0 and closing in on 200lbs), and at this point I'm more focused on just getting my muscles more defined and doing a bit of fat burning cardio just to keep it off.

Is there really any point in investing in any sort of supplement at this point?