The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please, Please, Please do not...

MLT

...Re-sign Mayson Raymond!!!!

I have watched him closely since he joined the Canucks and was excited for his season this year. He looked bigger, stronger, and fully prepared for a big, healthy year.

Unfortunately, his play in the playoffs, annually, does not cut it.

Mayson Raymond has a body type, and style of play taylor made for the regular season. He is small and fast and extremely soft. At the start of this season i thought it looked as though he was "becoming a man", and was hoping to see a bit more grit and body contact. Clearly this has not happened.

Every year come playoff time its the same old Mason Raymond. He gets pushed around with the upped physical play and has a very hard time being effective. Watch closely tonight and you will see him getting pushed around (and down) in the hard to play areas. (Corners, ifo the net) Playoff style hockey is where he is at his worst, and we cannot afford to have a 15-20 goal scorer in the regular season evaporate every year in the playoffs.

i HOPE he proves me wrong and pops a big one tonight. Maybe he will, but it doesn't justify keeping him come off season.

and before the "sky is falling" replies start. This is an opinion i had coming into this season, and playoffs. This was a topic i have been looking forward to discussing for some time. Nothing to do with game one loss.

Pretty sure we won't.

Next year Jensen will take it's place, there have kind of a similar role, but Jensen has way more upsided. Actually, on a full season scale I expect Jensen to score 10-15 goals with 30 pts next year, which is what Raymond has been giving us theses past few years.

Good thing you were watching Mason Raymond closely. Someone had to. Though you probably missed some good hockey the last couple years focusing on him alone. I don't know if you know this, but we're actually right in the middle of a playoff series.

Good thing you were watching Mason Raymond closely. Someone had to. Though you probably missed some good hockey the last couple years focusing on him alone. I don't know if you know this, but we're actually right in the middle of a playoff series.

...Re-sign Mayson Raymond!!!!

I have watched him closely since he joined the Canucks and was excited for his season this year. He looked bigger, stronger, and fully prepared for a big, healthy year.

Unfortunately, his play in the playoffs, annually, does not cut it.

Please, Please, Please do not judge a player by 1 playoff game.

He has the same amount of points as every Canuck so far not named Bieksa. He may not be big, physical, or a top-6 scorer but Raymond brings an element of speed that teams don't expect in the playoffs. Raymond and Hansen are vital parts of our offence, and right now they're our best players - without them who knows how bad we'd be.

Our real problem isn't depth offence, it's sadly our core guys. The Sedins, Kesler and Burrows need to step it up. They carried us in 2011 and obviously we're going nowhere if they play like they did against the Kings.

He has the same amount of points as every Canuck so far not named Bieksa. He may not be big, physical, or a top-6 scorer but Raymond brings an element of speed that teams don't expect in the playoffs. Raymond and Hansen are vital parts of our offence, and right now they're our best players - without them who knows how bad we'd be.

Our real problem isn't depth offence, it's sadly our core guys. The Sedins, Kesler and Burrows need to step it up. They carried us in 2011 and obviously we're going nowhere if they play like they did against the Kings.

Nothing really, I was just trying to match the ridiculousness of your post given that we're right in the early stages of round 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

And yet you found it necessary to comment on the off-season dealings of Mason Raymond. It was the way in which you stated it, almost as if it were an epiphany. You had that same feeling the guy who thought up the idea of adding the radio to the alarm clock must have had. It just leads me to believe you may be mentally insufficient.

But it did momentarily distract me from my game 2 anxiety and for that maybe you served your true purpose.

It hasn't been one game with Raymond, he's never had good production in the playoffs. I could care less about his speed unless he actually uses it to his advantage to drive the net or set up linemates off the rush instead of throwing a weak wrist shot. I knew he would disappear in the playoffs. I hope he can prove me wrong though.

I was just caught off guard. You're the first person to ever think of not re-signing Raymond. It was shocking. He's usually #1 on most guy's 'Untouchables List'. The Canucks without Raymond, that's like the Flames without Iginla. The end of an Era!... ballsy talk. Don't tell me you're also thinking of not keeping Ballard, or Booth?! Sometimes someone comes along who is just too far ahead of his time.

I was just caught off guard. You're the first person to ever think of not re-signing Raymond. It was shocking. He's usually #1 on most guy's 'Untouchables List'. The Canucks without Raymond, that's like the Flames without Iginla. The end of an Era!... ballsy talk. Don't tell me you're also thinking of not keeping Ballard, or Booth?! Sometimes someone comes along who is just too far ahead of his time.

Raymond I think with consistent linemates and a legitimate playmaker is a 50 point guy. He's had a horrific injury to deal with which has obviously hindered his development into something more, but at the end of the day signing him for <$2.5m is better for depth - you cant get that kind of production for that cheap.

That being said, if he's looking for $3m+ it just doesn't make fiscal sense.

Archived