The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police: Utah soccer referee punched by player dies

Police to Associated Press: Utah soccer referee punched by player dies:

MURRAY, Utah (AP) - Police say a Utah soccer referee who was in a coma after being punched by a teenage player has died.

They say 46-year-old Ricardo Portillo of Salt Lake City died late Saturday night.

Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal says Portillo passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following an assault during a soccer game last weekend.

Police say a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league punched Portillo after the man called a foul on him and issued him a yellow card.

The teen has been booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault.

Hoyal says authorities will consider additional charges since Portillo has died.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51778089/

It's amazing how many players take rec league, or beer league sports seriously to the point that they seem like they believe they are playing in the Premier League (or NHL, NBA etc.). Numerous times I've shaken my head at players and reminded them that this isn't top level sports when they get into pissing matches with officials. And not just opposing players too sadly.

Wow recreational referee..Very sad. I pray,hope they don't just slap this kid on the wrist. If your a big enough man to throw the punch then your enough of a man to suffer the full consequences. Unfortunately the poor man who died already has.

It's amazing how many players take rec league, or beer league sports seriously to the point that they seem like they believe they are playing in the Premier League (or NHL, NBA etc.).  Numerous times I've shaken my head at players and reminded them that this isn't top level sports when they get into pissing matches with officials.  And not just opposing players too sadly.

I've been refereeing in the local Oldtimer's Hockey and Flag Football leagues (and umpiring for Softball) for several years now, and I've long since ceased to be surprised at how seriously some players take it.

I've been sworn at too many times to count and even threatened with physical violence. I've had people that I considered friends tell me that I was biased in favor of other teams, even though they knew that I had no particular attachment to any team.

yet I continue to show up year after year, because I know that without a knowledgable official, the games could get very ugly and the league themselves might be threatened.

I always try to bear in mind that for every player who thinks he's playing for the Stanley Cup, there are 10 who understand that it's just a game and we're all going for a beer afterward.

Archived