The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some interesting numbers underlying this Canucks/Sharks series...

oldnews

Have a look for yourselves.

Canucks corsi numbers 5 on 5:

http://www.behindthe... 34 45 46 63 67

17 of 19 Canucks have positive 5 on 5 corsi, most of their numbers are actually very impressive.

On the other hand, only 3 Sharks have a positive 5 on 5 corsi...

http://www.behindthe... 34 45 46 63 67

Most of their numbers unimpressive to say the least.

As we all already knew, the Sharks are winning the series on the back of their powerplay...

To spell this out, what we are watching is a case of exceedingly influenced outcomes.

Call it an "excuse" if you'd like to deny the reality and the facts.

8 powerplays to 2 for example, the disparity highly suspect.

Even the calls that don't result in pp goals for the Sharks still have the effect of shortening the five on five game, where the Canucks have a decided edge - reducing the minutes of the Canucks top line, as well as taxing the Canucks penalty killers in the top six (most notably Kesler and Burrows, as well as Hansen and Higgins).

In other words (if you've seen M AK A V E L I 96's video).... it's a series lead on the backs of....Donuts (as opposed to the over-stated inability to score).

Excuses excuses excuses

Refs are bad, but calls are missed both ways. Doesn't change the fact the Canucks are playing undisciplined, setting up camp on the perimeter, and aren't finishing. It's the weak men who instead of picking themselves up and saying "I've got to be better and here's how" point at those factors around them for their failures. If they brought even just the intensity they had in Game 2 to each game, they wouldn't be down 0-3.

Excuses excuses excuses

Refs are bad, but calls are missed both ways. Doesn't change the fact the Canucks are playing undisciplined, setting up camp on the perimeter, and aren't finishing. It's the weak men who instead of picking themselves up and saying "I've got to be better and here's how" point at those factors around them for their failures. If they brought even just the intensity they had in Game 2 to each game, they wouldn't be down 0-3.

If the refs are screwing us then dont you have to ask why? why would they do that? if its bettman not wanting a canadian team to win the cup then i would assume he wouldnt have let the flames/oilers make it to the finals not to mention we have three other canadian teams in the scp right now that arent getting the same treatment.

it does seem like the reffing is lopsided at times especially in the boston series i ust dont understand the motive for that

Excuses excuses excuses

Facts.

Facts that are every bit as relevent as the endless blame game taking place on these boards...fire AV, fire Gillis, trade the Sedins, trade Edler, Schneider isn't who we thought he was, etc, etc ad infinitum.

This team is nowhere near as bad as the complainers are suggesting, and the results are nowhere near as simple as 'the Canucks have no heart' blah blah.

Nobody cares what the underlying numbers are anymore. They might be true but at this point they don't matter. The only stat that matters now is the score of the game, otherwise the team is going home.

A lot of our penalties are dumb penalties. The ones that irk me are the non-calls on Couture for throwing the puck out (would have given us a 5 on 3) and the penalty shot after Desjardins(?) gloved the puck in the crease.

Old news I've agreed with most of your analysis over the year....but your rose tints are pushing it here.

Yes the refs have missed calls but off the top of my head:

Weises penalty at the game start

Sestitos penalty

Hanks butt end hard or not to Logan's head

Lappys usual stupid penalties

Are all legit penalties and pathetic non disciplined playoff penalties.

The pens, wings, sens, kings, blues, hawks don't leave it up to the refs.

And our other stats since game 5 Boston series regarding goals and wins tell the true tale....we couldn't score on the pp in Boston, we couldn't all this year....

With all due respect to your knowledgeable posts, I'm sure like myself, most fans don't give a you know what about Corsi right now. This team lacks heart, consistent effort, scoring, adaptive competent coaching and mgmt, not help from the refs.

Besides certain players on our team have disrespected the refs and the game long enough to wear the rep.

Do you think they've put forth a winner's effort in this series? If so, that's pretty sad. Heart might not be the be-all, end-all but if AV showed your post to the Canucks before the game, they'd go out there and lose, guaranteed.

If they played with more discipline and intensity (note I'm not saying the Canucks are just heartless chokers, but that they aren't playing smart or strategically) they wouldn't be in this hole. Refs don't change that.

Old news I've agreed with most of your analysis over the year....but your rose tints are pushing it here.

Yes the refs have missed calls but off the top of my head:

Weises penalty at the game start

Sestitos penalty

Hanks butt end hard or not to Logan's head

Lappys usual stupid penalties

Are all legit penalties and pathetic non disciplined playoff penalties.

The pens, wings, sens, kings, blues, hawks don't leave it up to the refs.

And our other stats since game 5 Boston series regarding goals and wins tell the true tale....we couldn't score on the pp in Boston, we couldn't all this year....

With all due respect to your knowledgeable posts, I'm sure like myself, most fans don't give a you know what about Corsi right now. This team lacks heart, consistent effort, scoring, adaptive competent coaching and mgmt, not help from the refs.

Besides certain players on our team have disrespected the refs and the game long enough to wear the rep.

Maybe if refs weren't so terrible, the amount of PPs wouldn't be so in favour of the Sharks.

Yes the sharks have been playing better, but they've also gotten a lot of calls that shouldn't have been called.

Officiating DOES have a big impact on a series. Not just ours, but every series.

That's fine riffraff. I don't give a rats ass about blame games and nitpicking the team to pieces, which I've seen a hell of a lot more of than actual analysis of what has transpired.

I find the underlying numbers interesting. To me they indicate a team that can certainly compete and has, moreso than is generally suggested in the commentary.

Archived