The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa....What are we paying this guy for?

Schneider.Man604

Everybody loves good old Kevin Bieksa except me. I wanted him gone after the SCF in 2011.

Sure he played well along side Hamhuis as one of the better shut down pairings in the league (mainly because of Hamhuis) But how good is Kevin Bieksa otherwise? he is an average D man who everyone thinks is so big and tough and never wants to say anything bad about him because hes one of our tough guys that doesnt take sh** from anybody and I find it hilarious because I haven't seen any toughness from this guy since 2009. No hard hits, no fights (when he does fight its always a guy who isn't known for fighting and when hes square off with an actual tough guy he usually loses, he doesn't even do the least in protecting our stars. Every time I see someone mess with the Sedins its always either Burrows jumping in or Kassian and I always wonder why Bieksa doesn't do anything when hes right there on the ice with them.

Not to mention his absolute crappy puck movement and has little to no offensive upside to his play. Hmm... barely hits or plays rough and has no offensive upside to his game... doesn't really sound like a good D man to me. Our team is too small and soft and when that is the case with our D line up then you know your in trouble.

I didn't know Canuck salaries were paid by us. I thought that "We Are All Canucks" thing was just a marketing slogan. Why are we paying any of them!? Have you seen the condition of some of our roads.... that money should be going to infastructure.

i hate him since day 1. low hockey IQ, arrogant and cocky attitude during the interviews, stupid mean face (LOL Fiddler)...

you'd think a guy who's always been a defensive liability in his miserable career would be more modest but no, thanks to hockey ignorant fan boys and girls who adore him and the fact that AV never challenged him once in his tenure, he thinks he's like gold dust.

i hate him since day 1. low hockey IQ, arrogant and cocky attitude during the interviews, stupid mean face (LOL Fiddler)...

you'd think a guy who's always been a defensive liability in his miserable career would be more modest but no, thanks to hockey ignorant fan boys and girls who adore him and the fact that AV never challanged him for once in his tenure, he thinks he's like gold dust.

Maybe some people should take a quick peek at the Canucks' record when KB3 was "benched" by injuries...

He's a heart and soul guy who occasionally makes mistakes, usually born of trying to do too much. Somehow, people forget the amount of times that his "gambles" pay off (like on the Edler goal last night) and focus on the ones that don't work out.

Bieksa played with so much heart last night.. how anyone can knock him is beyond me. He gets paid well, but he is worth every penny. I dont get this 'He only plays well alongside 'Hamhuis' bit. I love Hamhuis, think hes a great dman, but for a dman to suceed, no matter who it is, his partner has to be a solid defender in his own right. Its a partnership. Having said that, AV should never have split those two up. the defense isnt the teams problem. The biggest issue is getting an offensive player in here that can be a threat each and every time he touches the puck. He needs to be big, and skilled, and he needs to be able to carry the offensive load of this team. The only way I see that coming back is if we package Edler or Schnieder away.

The lower cap hit for next season is going to cause headaches for the team's management. If the team is to improve, one of the top 4 D will have to be traded for a low $ young player; as well as a goalie. They will have to bring in some of Jensen, Schroeder, Lain, Gaunce and Bromberg.

Archived