The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Idea for new reffing system.

How about 1 Ref on the ice and one in the media room?

The ref on the ice and the ref in the media room will be connected by mic and earphone.

The ref on the ice is primarily responsible for behind the play skirmishes that might not be captured in the media room. That ref and the 2 linesmen are responsible for breaking up fights and trying to call the game as best they can at ice level.

The media room ref also has a penalty buzzer/whistle that will blow when an infraction happens. On a delayed call, he would tell the on ice ref to put his arm up for a delayed penalty (if the on ice ref missed it)

The job of the media room ref is to call missed infractions like high sticking, etc.

Another important role would be to overrule any blown calls by the on ice ref.

If a player gets called for tripping while it's clearly a dive, the media ref would also call the diving player for a penalty and quickly radio down to the on ice ref. Then it would be an offsetting minor and the diver would be exposed.

If a player gets awarded a penalty shot by being tripped or hooked on a breakaway but it should NOT be a penalty shot, the media ref would overrule.

The game might be slower at first but once the players realize they cant getaway with ANYTHING, the game will speed up because in the end, the right calls will be made 99% of the time so the players wont even bother arguing

I'd take a slower game with the correct calls always being made rather than blown calls every game like we see currently. Personally, I dont even think the game will be slower, all it really takes is the time we usually watch a review on TV (except their system will be even faster because as soon as an infraction occurs, there will be a media guy looping the replay immediately with the media ref calling down to on ice ref while the first player is heading to the box.

We'll see that once the system works, and people trust it, the games will speed up because it will be like second nature.

People might complain that this style of reffing is too robotic but at the end of the day, the refs are SUPPOSE to be like robots. They shouldn't determine outcomes of games with human error.

I think then word you were looking for at the end was "SUPPOSED".

Either way interesting concept. I think a better system (with the changes next year) would have the refs rotate through 2 of the 4 conferences during the regular season, and then ref the other 2 conferences during the playoffs. Then there's no history, no bad feelings, no `I wonder if they're making that call because they hate our players mentality because it's a clean slate for everyone.

What difference does it make if there is still bias? I think the Refs should be employed by someone other than the NHL, like the governments of Canada and US jointly. I know that will never be the case but really it is the only way to ensure a business (the NHL) isn't using employees(the Refs) to maxamize profts unethically.

What difference does it make if there is still bias? I think the Refs should be employed by someone other than the NHL, like the governments of Canada and US jointly. I know that will never be the case but really it is the only way to ensure a business (the NHL) isn't using employees(the Refs) to maxamize profts unethically.

This idea has been brought up before and is one that I like. In your scenario, why not simply leave the 2 ref, 2 linesman system as it is now, but add the eye in the booth. If the guy in the booth sees something in the penalty call that is wrong then he can phone down to the refs and conference.

The problem is the rule because as it's written now, it was the right call if you go by the letter of the rule. But there's another part of the rule that states that the official is to use judgement. This is the huge grey area and not sure if an eye in the booth would then make a difference.

I'd rather see the refs in the existing system do what NFL refs do so when one ref makes the call, especially in an important situation like this, to huddle together to discuss the call, with the ability then to go to announce there is no penalty if that's what they decide. NFL refs do this all the time and it just makes sense.

This idea has been brought up before and is one that I like. In your scenario, why not simply leave the 2 ref, 2 linesman system as it is now, but add the eye in the booth. If the guy in the booth sees something in the penalty call that is wrong then he can phone down to the refs and conference.

The problem is the rule because as it's written now, it was the right call if you go by the letter of the rule. But there's another part of the rule that states that the official is to use judgement. This is the huge grey area and not sure if an eye in the booth would then make a difference.

I'd rather see the refs in the existing system do what NFL refs do so when one ref makes the call, especially in an important situation like this, to huddle together to discuss the call, with the ability then to go to announce there is no penalty if that's what they decide. NFL refs do this all the time and it just makes sense.

theres nothing we can absolutley do. The refs were against us this series. I'm not sure how this happened. I thought the refs will let the teams decide their fate, but as we all saw it, it wasn't that way. San Jose has 23 power plays and Vancouver had 10. An average of 5 per game. This is also the most lop sided series I believe in NHL history were one team had 130% more powerplays then the other team.

There's nothing we can do about it, and the exact same thing will happen to us next season. Mark these words. WE can stack it up, but the refs will always be against us.

My biggest issue is the archaic approach the NHL takes to officiating. The league needs to follow the example set by the NFL. Here are some of the things the league needs to start doing;

1) Admit officiating mistakes

2) Make the grading reports for officials public

3) Demote officials who grade poorly and fire the bottom 10% per year

4) SOLICIT feedback from each team and the NHLPA for the grading, make it 50% of their grade

The current system has no accountability, in fact the ooposite. Its all back room and the NHL comes accross as "we make no mistakes".

I am not makes excuses for losing this series. This is a larger isue and it needs to be rectified or else fans will just be driven away out of frustration.

theres nothing we can absolutley do. The refs were against us this series. I'm not sure how this happened. I thought the refs will let the teams decide their fate, but as we all saw it, it wasn't that way. San Jose has 23 power plays and Vancouver had 10. An average of 5 per game. This is also the most lop sided series I believe in NHL history were one team had 130% more powerplays then the other team.

There's nothing we can do about it, and the exact same thing will happen to us next season. Mark these words. WE can stack it up, but the refs will always be against us.

I've thought about this too, with today's technology, employing a 1 up/1 down system should be doable. A mic and speaker could be built right into their helmet.

Though the real problem is still the accountability. Refs or the league don't answer to anyone and never admit fault.

First and foremost there needs to be accountability with officials the NHL could take not from MLB with suspending the Umpire crew this week. Also the NFL has a great system in place with rewarding top officials playoff and Super Bowl games.

How about the refs just call a fair game by the rulebook? I'm paying to watch two teams of talented players play the game of hockey at a highly competitive level. I'm not paying to watch 4 guys who couldn't make it as pro hockey players decide the game.

Archived