The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Keepers for Next Year, and maybe how to place them

Primal Optimist

**italics mean would be willing to trade/ keep in minors/ not re-sign**

Danny (6.1) - Kes (5) - Kassian (0.87) = 11.97

(Kass feeds Kes, and both can wreak havoc down low. Kass also needs his chance. Hank played well without Danny, now I'd like to try Danny without Hank; he can feed Kes as well, or snipe while Kes and Kass open space for him in front of the net)

Burr (4.5) - Hank (6.1) - Jensen/ Higgins (0.863/ 2.5) = 11.463/13.1

(Burr and Hank have chemistry cycling, while Jensen's got a good shot and the three of them can work around the net and bring speed as well; if he's not ready I'd want Higgins to play on this line to see whether Burr's success with Hank can be duplicated)

Higgins/ Jensen (2.5/ 0.863)- Gaunce (1.056) - ???

(If they can't bring anyone in for the 3rd C I'd like them to try Brendan; Schroeder could play on the wing)

Lapierre/ Blomstrand? - Lapierre/ Lain? - Hansen

(big, aggressive fourth line with speed)

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6) = 9.1

Garrison (4.6) - ???

??? - Tanev (?) / Corrado (0.6)

Lu (5.33)

(Cory should bring the bigger return still)

CanucksJay everyone for the exception of tanev and corrado are grossly overpaid on our Defence. and everyone in the league knows it ist going to be hard to trade any of them .... and weber is overrated..nasvhille wouldve done great letting him sign in philly for all those draft picks .. it wouldve been the equivalent to the kessel trade.

Edler for Couterier.

Luongo for Pittsburgh draft picks.

Trade for Brian Campbell (Florida keeps some of his cap)

Trade Booth (cap reasons)

Trade Ballard

Sign David Clarkson

Jensen makes the team next year as 3rd line winger

If we just get rid of Ballard, Booth, Edler and Lu, we are gaining just under 19m in capspace.

From there the only actual roster player we are losing is 1 dman (Edler) and a backup goalie (Lu)

Ballard's a healthy scacth, Booth is always injured

I'm saying use the money for a true #1 d-man and have Lack replace Lu (750k)

Even an overpaid #1 dman like Weber still only makes 7.8m

Hypothetically speaking, we've managed to replace Edler for Weber and replaced Lu for Lack and aren't really missing out on any other positions and STILL saved 10m in cap space.

I disagree. Our defence is NOT grossly overpaid.

Hamhuis 4.5

Bieksa 4.6

Garrison 4.6

These guys are bonafide top 4 d-men that are capable of 1st pairing.

Problem is we are lacking a true #1 D These guys would be the complimentary d-man on a 1st pairing.

So I'm saying use the cap space wasted on Ballard and Edler (9.2m in combined salary) and use it to get a premier d-man.

I'm not saying Weber in particular. He's an example of a premier d-man.

But saying that, i don't see how talking about trying to trade for a top d-man like Weber is so bad or embarrassing for that matter?

Especially when we are talking about getting rid of Edler who has a very decent cap hit for a young "star" d-man

i can use 1 name as a benchmark and it pretty much makes everyone on our team over paid.. andrew ladd cap hit 4.4 actual 4.5 for the next 3 years... 2 stanley cups captain of his team scored more goals and did more for his team than any canuck did this year.. what has bieksa ever done to be paid higher than andrew ladd? or hamhuis or garrison or edler? our defence sucks they get pinned in their own end constantly and turn the puck over tanev isnt the best defenceman in the league not even close but he was our best defenceman so thats gotta tell you somthing right there.

After the early exit this year, and with a 35 year affair with the Canucks, I think I have some good or decent or at least readable insight into what we ought to do going forward.

Fire AV for every reason I have said since 2007. It all starts with AV winning an award for Luongo's work and it ends, or rather begins to end when he pulled Lu and put Schneider in in the playoffs, tipping off the goalie controversy. There is a myriad of other reasons but AV in my opinion needs to go, he needed to go years ago, and he needs to go not a minute later than now.

MG only made a couple mistakes IMO and no one is perfect, I would keep the GM and give him a year to figure out if he can do better with a new coach. I think his biggest mistake was keeping AV in GM MG's first year and not firing him ever since.

Now the players: Keep the Offense like this:

Hank and Dank, Burr, Kes, Hansen, Higgins, Kassian

Keep teh Dee like this:

Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, Ballard, Edler

keep one of our outstandingly above average goalies: my vote is LU, sell cory, its easier with higher returns.

Bring up Jensen and maybe Schroeder as a 13th forward. Re-sign Tanev cheap. Re-sign Roy if you can..but not a necessity..re-sign Lapierre cheap

that is 15 guys of 23...16 with Roy. 17 with Lappy. Bring in a middle six centerman or top six winger for the goalie you trade ..gives you 18 and frankly fire everyone else and bring in new guys.

New coacches.

how do we go about trading these players that are not worth their contract going into a season where the cap is comming down? thats why im saying we are stuck with most of our players because of the terrible contracts they have... they are better than any return we would get for them.... .. i bet if we end up using a buy out aqualini will put a budget on our team... over the last few years in real money we have spent way over the cap...

Archived