The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you welcome the return of Brian Burke?

Patrick Kane

Let's say that Gillis ends up getting the boot, along with Alain Vigneault.

Would you welcome Brian Burke?

burke.jpg

His movements in Leaf lands are underrated. He made a plethora of great moves, given with what he had to start. He created that Leafs core of Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Phaneuf, Franson, Bozak, van Riemsdyk, Gardiner. Quite literally! Heres some NOTICEABLE moves done by Brian Burke.

Got second round picks from washed up players like Antropov and Moore.

Nothing major, but shows the trading abilities of Burke.

Tomas Kaberle for a 1st and Joe Colborne

Burke gets maximum value from his players. Acquiring a 1st and top prospect for aging Tomas Kaberle was an excellent trade.

Obtained a 1st and a 3rd for Kris Versteeg.

Once again, getting full value for his players. Versteeg was playing pretty awful at the time too.

Signed free-agent Clarke MacArthur

It's hard to pick-up good free-agents these days, as players prices are higher then what they really should be. Signing free-agent Clarke MacArthur to a 1.1 million dollar deal payed off big time for Burke. 62 point season, followed by a 43 point season (in 73 games) and a 20 point season in (40 games). While MacArthurs play has dropped significantly, he's still a valuable depth player that can put up 40+ points.

Signed free-agent prospect goalie Ben Scrivens

It's always nice to acquire a free prospect. Ben Scrivens has a little bit of upside, and who knows he may be a piece to a Luongo deal in the future.... ;)

Signed free-agent Tyler Bozak

Once again, a free prospect at the time, who has panned out great. Doing duties as a 1st line center, although he is more of a 2nd/3rd line type. Regardless, Bozak has been putting up numbers of a 50 point center, and Burke gave up no assets to acquire him.

Signed free-agent Leo Komarov

Burke landed one of the feistiest players in the league. He was 5th in the league in hits with 176 hits in 42 games.. Is a good agitator and can handle his own in the defensive zone. Nice pick-up for sure.

Signed free-agent Jay McClement

Seems minor, but this guy has been lights out for them, and helped improve their HORRIBLE penalty kill, which has been around 25th-30th range for the last 5 years!

Drafted Nazem Kadri

Just ask any Leaf fan how they feel about this guy.

Matthew Lombardi and Brett Lebda for Cody Franson

Wow! Yes Nashville was in a desperate spot, but props to Burke for taking advantage. Cody Franson had a rough first year, but now hes a fixture on the Leafs defense and powerplay. Big, 6'5, PPQB, who outscored Dion Phaneuf this year.

Francois Beauchemin for Joffrey Lupul and Jake Gardiner

:huh:

Well did this trade workout great or what? Some might say Lupul regaining his health was lucky, but he did pull the trigger. Lupul is a 65-70 point winger and Gardiner is a quick, smart, PPQB who will be a 40 point defenseman for years to come. Beauchemin ain't doing so bad himself, but still!

Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers, Matt Stajan and Ian White for Dion Phaneuf, Keith Aulie (traded for Carter Ashton) and Fredrik Sjostrom.

Now you might just say Calgary's GM was retarded, but I remember people (even on here) saying Toronto got fleeced. Well, Toronto got a #1 defenseman, and a former 1st round pick powerforward out of this package. Niklas Hagman was washed up, and didn't have much to offer. Jamal Mayers is a 4th line player. Stajan showed some promise, but Burke obviously knew what he was giving up, and Stajan hasn't lived up to his hype. Ian White is a small defenseman, but sure, he's a top 4 guy. Phaneuf is a #1 defenseman. He has his brian-farts, but he has progressed nicely this year. This season he has been excelling in a shut-down role, but unfortunately it will all be overshadowed by the playoffs. Still great trade by Brian Burke.

Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk

I hardly see people talk about this one. Luke Schenn was struggling, and Toronto had a surplus of defense. So he ships this guy for former 2nd overall pick JVR. This guy has some serious upside, and once he finds his consistency, he will be 55-65 point powerforward. Leafs fans are loving this trade to.

Two 1st rounders and a 2nd (Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton, Jared Knight) for Phil Kessel.

This trade is questionable. Brian Burke didn't expect his club to finish 2nd last, allowing the Boston Bruins to select Tyler Seguin. Leafs didn't have a great season the next year, allowing the Bruins to pick Dougle Hamilton.

People are laughing at this trade, as Leafs missed a chance at a future #1 C and a #1 D, but it's not like the Leafs got garbage in return. Phil Kessel is an elite offensive talent, who has put up 30+ goals in the last 5 years (projects to 34 this year). He's been a point per game player the last two years playing without a true #1 centerman. Brian Burke needed a guy like him on the team, but its unfortunate that his team played so bad, allowing the Bruins to scoop up two top notch young players.

Hired Randy Carlyle

It took him a bit to fire Ron Wilson, but he did eventually. Carlyle is a top-notch coach, who has been doing great with the Leafs. This was a big, underrated movement that was instrumental to the Leafs success this year.

At the end of the day Burke wasn't so bad, in fact he did great. I never looked at Burke as bad GM. The team he took over, I knew it was gonna take time to retool. The future is looking bright with a young core and upcoming prospects in the system.

Brian Burke left the team in great-shape with Nonis, only needing perhaps a #1 starting goalie and a 1st line centerman, unless Kadri is going to make the jump.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin

MacArthur - Kadri - Frattin

Komarov - McClement - Orr

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf

Fraser - Franson

Gardiner - O'Byrne

Liles

Reimer

Scrivens

Blue = brought in by Burke.

Nope. I wouldn't. Just like what happened in Toronto, he had problems with our local media, he wasn't really a friendly guy, he didn't get a long with ownership. I would not support this team if Brian Burke was the General Manager, and theres no way in hell Fracesco will bring him in because of WHAT BRIAN BURKE SAID ABOUT HIM.

thanks. I would keep Mike Gillis and see how he fixes things.

One playoff appearance in nearly a decade and only after he was fired. One playoff win to this point.

What was the question again?

EDIT: and spare us the "He built the current Canucks blah blah blah". All credit (or discredit) of Canucks success (or lack thereof) since he departed here goes to the current management team. Remember, even the 'unsinkable' Titanic is sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic and you didn't hear that ship builder up on a podium belaboring their leetness.

Wow ... OP, if you didn't have so many posts on CDC, I'd thought you were Burke himself sending in his resume to the fan base to check out the reaction.

I'd say sure ... couldn't be any worst than it is now. Burke and Nonis would get a deal done in a hurry!

Who would pick him up at the airport though?

No way Francesco wants anything to do with him.

Burke was consulted by the NHL on the ridiculous Rome suspension and decided to stick it to the organization that let him go.

I don't think he's that bad of a GM. He'll get another job somewhere but there's zero chance it's in Vancouver.

EDIT: and spare us the "He built the current Canucks blah blah blah". All credit (or discredit) of Canucks success (or lack thereof) since he departed here goes to the current management team. Remember, even the 'unsinkable' Titanic is sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic and you didn't hear that ship builder up on a podium belaboring their leetness.

Burke making the big move for the Sedins in 99' set this franchise for the next 15 years. While they had Bertuzzi and Naslund as the main guys, Sedins were brought in for secondary support and eventually overtake them and become the franchise leaders. No Burke back then, then no Sedins. This guy makes BOLD moves.

Burke has a great nose for talent and can build a team for sure. I don't think he would want to come back here. The ownership had issues with him as well.

I didn't mind Burkie when he was here. He is very entertaining and can put the prestitutes in their place.

Archived