The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

([Proposal]) Another Attempt at RE-TOOLING {Plus my UFA Wishlist}

Long read, but thorough.

My UFA wishlist;

NAME: # years at $$$ million. $$$$ cap hit. Salary by year = [$, $, $, $]

Nathan Horton: 6 years at $31.5 million. $5.250 cap hit. Salary by year = [6, 6, 5.5, 5, 5, 4]

Patrik Elias: 2 years at $9.5 million. $4.750 cap hit. Salary by year = [6, 3.5]

Bryan Bickell: 3 years at $6 million. $2.000 cap hit. Salary by year = [1.5, 2, 2.5]

Raffi Torres: 2 years at $3.55 million. $1.775 cap hit. Salary by year [2, 1.55]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Florida: Roberto Luongo, Alexander Edler, Jordan Schroeder (RFA) + VAN 2014 2nd

To Vancouver: Nick Bjugstad, Erik Gudbranson & Scottie Upshall + FLA 2013 2nd

Luongo + 2014 2nd = Bjugstad & Upshall

Edler + Schroeder = Gudbranson + 2013 2nd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Ottawa: Keith Ballard & Yann Sauvé (RFA) + VAN 2013 3rd

To Vancouver: Patrick Wiercioch (RFA), Eric Gryba + OTT 2013 5th

Ballard = Gryba + 5th

Sauvé + 3rd = Wiercioch

To Toronto: David Booth + VAN 2013 5th

To Vancouver: Mark Fraser (RFA) & Frazer McLaren (RFA) + TOR 2013 4th

Booth = Fraser + 4th

5th = McLaren

To Columbus: Chris Higgins, Scottie Upshall + VAN 2013 4th & VAN 2014 1st

To Vancouver: Boone Jenner + CLB 2013 3rd

Higgins + 1st = Jenner

Upshall + 4th = 3rd

DRAFT PICKS IN 2013:

VAN 1st

FLA 2nd

CLB 3rd

TOR 4th

OTT 5th

VAN 6th

VAN 7th

LINEUP

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Nathan Horton --------------- 22 - 33 - 18

Alex Burrows - Patrik Elias - Ryan Kesler -------------------- 14 - 26 - 17

Bryan Bickell - Nick Bjugstad - Jannik Hansen ------------- 29 - 27 - 36

Raffi Torres - Maxim Lapierre - Zack Kassian -------------- 13 - 40 - 9

Frazer McLaren, Dale Weise ------------------------------------- 38 - 32

Dan Hamhuis - Kevin Bieksa ----------------------------------------- 2 - 3

Jason Garrison - Erik Gudbranson --------------------------------- 5 - 4

Patrick Wiercioch - Chris Tanev ------------------------------------ 7 - 8

Mark Fraser, Eric Gryba ------------------------------------------- 15 - 24

Cory Schneider & Eddie Läck -------------------------------------- 35 - 31

1st PP Unit

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Garrison Kesler

2nd PP Unit

Burrows Elias Horton

Bieksa Hamhuis/Wiercioch

-------------------------------------

1st PK Unit

Kesler Burrows

Hamhuis Bieksa

2nd PK Unit

Lapierre Hansen

Garrison Tanev

MY ANALYSIS, LINE BY LINE:

1st LINE: Adding Nathan Horton would add a pure power forward who would add a lot of size (he is 6'2 230) and grit to the Sedin line, something that has been missing from the 1st line for a ling time. He doesn't hit as much as a Dustin Brown or Cal Clutterbuck, but with his size and when he actually does hit, he creates space and can hurt other players.

2nd LINE: This line is a great defensive line with lots of offensive capability. Adding Elias would put a pure playmaker on the line for Kesler, something he desperately needs to be effective on the 2nd line. He has always played with grinders and other role players like Higgins, Hansen, Raymond and Booth. Those types of players do not seem to mesh with him well.

3rd LINE: Bryan Bickell (6'4 233) and Nick Bjugstad (6'6 220) along with speedy Jannik Hansen would be a line with lots of forechecking and hard hits. They each have offensive talent and good speed. Bjugstad is the only player that is in the minus for goal differential however, though small sample size. Being in between Bickell and Hansen would get him back to the plus.

4th LINE: We've seen what Torres (6'0 22') can do. He hits HARD, and can pot in the occasional clutch goal. When he was on a line with Lapierre and Hansen during the 2011 Playoffs, that line was money. Having Zack Kassian (6'3 218) and Max Lapierre (6'2 215) would be a heavy hitting 4th line that can be used anytime and none of them are afraid of dropping the gloves, more so Kassian.

DEPTH FORWARDS: Frazer McLaren (6'5 230) and Dale Weise (6'2 210) are sizey, gritty, hard hitting depth forwards who can each put up 15-20 points if they played everyday in an 82-game season. If two forwards went down with injury, they can replace them on the 4th line with Lapierre anytime.

1st D-PAIR: Re-uniting Dan Hamhuis (6'1 209) and Kevin Bieksa (6'1 200) would be the most ideal thing to do. During the 2010-2011 season they were in the top-3 for most reliable defense pairings along with Weber-Suter and Chara-Boychuk. They were able to go up against any top line around the league in 2010-2011, so it would be a good decision to put them together again.

2nd D-PAIR: Jason Garrison (6'2 225) and Erik Gudbranson (6'5 217) didn't play much together when they were playing for Florida last season as they had different defense partners in Brian Campbell and Ed Jovanovski. I feel if they play as the second defense pairing this season on their own sides, they would be able to go up against any top line around the NHL, using their size.

3rd D-PAIR: The 3rd defense pairing of Patrick Wiercioch (6'5 208) and Chris Tanev (6'2 190) starts to get a little inexperienced, but with Tanev's solid play in the last two seasons, I feel limited minutes and times where they can go up against harder opponents would do them good, and that they would excel at doing so.

DEPTH DEFENDERS: Mark Fraser (6'4 225) and Eric Gryba (6'4 222) make great depth guys and they are also much younger than previous depth players we had. If any LH defenseman does down with injury, Fraser would replace them quite nicely as would Gryba if a RH defender got injured.

GOALIES: Cory Schneider (6'2 197) has already proven he can be a started at the NHL level. He would excel much more and he would be able to get into more comfortable grooves if and when this Canucks goalie situation gets resolved. Eddie Läck (6'4 190) has to prove he can return to form from his hip surgery, but I feel he will do well. If not, then a veteran back up at the same price as Läck would have to do in the mean time.

I don't think Horton would ever agree to sign here. And do you think Elias is going to take that much of a pay cut?

Staying under the cap would also depend on what Fraser and McLaren would sign for; they surely aren't just going to take qualifying offers.

All in all, it's quite the shakeup of the roster, but I like most of it. I agree on not bringing up Jensen just yet.

I don't think Horton would ever agree to sign here. And do you think Elias is going to take that much of a pay cut?

Staying under the cap would also depend on what Fraser and McLaren would sign for; they surely aren't just going to take qualifying offers.

All in all, it's quite the shakeup of the roster, but I like most of it. I agree on not bringing up Jensen just yet.

Here's my proposal and won't have to give up anything really.

If pens win it all and don't sign iggy, sign him on a year to year basis 1yr @ 5mil. Sell him on that he's won it and can move back close to home and still play for a competitive team.

Sign Weiss 1-2 year @ 3mil. With the cap going down his contract stays the same as now but again he plays for a contender.

Sign Bickel any years really, solid 4th liner @ 850,000. Probably doesn't make free agency but who knows.

Trade for Reaves. If the blues go out in the 1st he doesn't look that valuable and his contract would be up next summer.

Sign Chipchura or Hall as the 13th forward @ 675,000.

Resign Tanev, Lapierre, Alberts and call up Lack.

First 2 are for obvious reasons Alberts has played a lot better as of late and wouldn't mind seeing him back for depth. Lack or some vet with similar cap hit as back up.

Lines look like

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

2013-14 canucks roster-1 last kick at the can

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Bryan Bickell ($0.850m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Ryan Reaves ($0.600m)

Kyle Chipchura ($0.675m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($1.500m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.000m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

OTHER

Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)

Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.083% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.053m—1.0%)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,147,778; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $152,222

Trade Luo for picks/prospects, same with Ballard Booth or buy them out. Same with Roy, Raymond or let them walk.

This makes the team bigger and grittier but also has skill. Lines can also be played around with.

Other options are Clarkson, Horton at the same price as Iginla, Clowe maybe for a bit less. Weiss doesn't sign then acquire in Luo trade even if its a 1 for 1. We desperately need a 3C.

I don't think our prospects are quite ready to step in the lineup and this gives us at least one more shot at it with this core. It's also a thin ufa market this summer but with the cap going down other teams might be making big trades as well. Lets hope MG can get something like this done.

Archived