The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] YOUTH INFUSION?

No trade proposals or free-agent signings (except for one) Just discussing a potential roster by adding the young guys in the system.

I think a youth approach like the Hawks would work well with the Canucks.

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen //\\ Saad - Toews - Hossa

Obviously this line won't be as good defensively or offensively, but the purpose of this line is similar to the Hawks. Two experienced NHL two-way superstars (not in Burrows case) and a young, hungry rookie looking to prove himself to the league. Saad playing with Toews-Hossa will set him up for a long career as a two-way player.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen //\\ Sharp - Bolland - Kane

Kinda similar..If the Canucks get a new coach, that can maybe transform the Sedins into stronger defensive players, in the way Thornton has become it would be better for the team. Concept of the lines similar to the Hawks, two offensive guys in Sedins and defensive, hard-working guy in Hansen. Give Hansen a chance, he deserves it.

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian //\\ Bickell - Shaw - Stalberg

Two big bodies in the wing, Booth would replicate Stalberg, and Kassian replicates Bickell. Schroeder would drive that line offensively, setting up these two big boys. For this too happen, Schroeder would need to improve in faceoffs and his defensive play significantly. Funny enough, the Canucks could sign Stalberg this offseason as he will command too much for the Hawks to pay. In that case, take out Booth.

Plug - Kruger - Frolik //\\ Higgins - Gaunce - Cracknell

I put in Cracknell as maybe a potential free-agent signing. He is showing he can play in the playoffs for the Blues, a big bodied winger who can flat out hit. Can also play, not a plug like Pinizotto, Weise, Sestito, etc... But purpose of this line. One skilled 4th liner who could be a 3rd or even 2nd liner on most teams in Higgins . A young centerman with a strong defensive skillset in Gaunce. Cracknell would be a nice fit as mentioned before.

Hamhuis - Tanev //\\ Keith - Hjalmarsson

Keith/Seabrook have been split up, and so should Hamhuis/Garrison. Hamhuis is a poor-mans Duncan Keith. He does everything for Canucks. Put the stay-at-home defenseman in Chris Tanev with him and develop a shut-down pairing. This also opens up a bit of offense for Hamhuis, as we know he has lots to offer.

Garrison - Bieksa //\\ Leddy - Seabrook

Now we don't have a guy like Leddy, a small, quick, speedy offensive defenseman, but we know Bieksa loves to take chances offensively, and has put up 40 point seasons. Garrison has shown that he can handle both ends of the ice, and this could be a Hamhuis-Bieksa 2010/11 type pairing. I find Garrison, Seabrook and Weber all very similar. Excellent defenders with impressive size and shot. Weber>Seabrook>Garrison, but Garrison isn't far off from Seabrook based off this years play.

Ballard - Corrado //\\ Oduya - Rozsival

Yes, I kept Ballard in over Edler, just for discussions sake! Ballard is a excellent skater like Oduya. Oduya excells in the defensive end, but Ballard has been trying really hard to get better. Under a new coach, his career could be rejuvenated. He has an asset most defenseman on the Canucks don't have - skating ability. That alone can get you out of your defensive mistakes. Corrado and Rozsival, would be foolish to compare, but there is one similarity. Both are calm and cool. This pairing could be Ballard-Tanev v2, as Corrado has been compared to Tanev.

Schneider - Lack //\\ Crawford - Emery

Nothing really similar, except for the fact that Hawks fans gave up on Crawford after a 1st round exit to Phoenix (hence Luongo to Chicago rumors and he has bounced back strong since.) I expect Schneider too as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Hansen

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Gaunce - Cracknell

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Ballard - Corrado

Schneider

Lack

You match Burrows and Kes against every top line in the league. These two are reunited 5on5 after 4 years, and they have become better in the offensive ended, more experienced and skilled. Get Jensen valuable experience in playing a two-way game. It will be better for him the long run, if people want him to become a top line player.

Try to get the Sedins against 2nd/3rd lines. Ideally, Hansen does what Burrows did in his tenure with the Sedins. Both are similar players, and I believe Hansen has more upside. Defensively solid, speedy, gritty, hard on the forecheck.. right handed shot might work well too. He out-scored Burrows this year playing 2nd/3rd line minutes and essentially no powerplay time.

Third lines are keys to success. Booth and Kassian showed some chemistry when they played this year. Schroeder showed some playmaking abilities that could work well with two big bodies. This is not a shut-down third line, and I feel those types of lines are no longer needed.

Higgins and Gaunce could great a nice tandem. Two hard-working guys who can play in there own end. Throw in Cracknell for providing energy and momentum, and you have a much better line then any combination of Sestito/Ebbett/Pinizzotto/Volpati/Weise

And finally.. develop some damn chemistry. Quenneville hasn't changed his lines much. Saad-Toews-Hossa has been a fixture almost all year and so has Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg and the Frolik-Kruger tandem. Only the second line has been mixed up due to injuries to Bolland and Sharp.

Youth infusion. Jensen (20), Schroeder (23), Kassian (22), Gaunce (20), Tanev (23), Corrado (20). Could be very beneficial to a core group that has had not much young talent come up on the roster. Hopefully these guys come to camp playing hard, because they have very strong chance to make the club.

Gillis already said in the press conference held earlier today. The core will have a lot of changes and rookies will get more of an opportunity. I'm guessing Jensen and Gaunce make the team next year. But the Center depth is kind of fragile, 2 rookies.

Question, we let Edler and Lu go... for what?

Also I'd bump Danny up to the Kesler line; that could bring about the Toews-Hossa comparison. Hank and Burr also have chemistry and I'd rather have them moving the puck together rather than keeping the Twins together.

Question, we let Edler and Lu go... for what?

Also I'd bump Danny up to the Kesler line; that could bring about the Toews-Hossa comparison. Hank and Burr also have chemistry and I'd rather have them moving the puck together rather than keeping the Twins together.

D.Sedin - Kesler - Jensen

Burrows - H.Sedin - Hansen

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Gaunce - Free agent

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Edler - Corrado

Schneider

Lack

Would be sweet if Jensen could pull a Saad, and Schroeder and Kassian hold up on the 3rd line.

Archived