The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's the real deal with Keith Ballard?

BiWinning

Ballard was NEVER given a fair shake on this team (to suggest otherwise is asinine). And for those who say he has trouble handling the rough stuff:

Clean your corrective lenses people, Ballard is more qualified to handle players in front of his own net than anyone else on our defense. A coach who sits a player like that in the playoffs (especially one who has a history of playing tough against said opponent) is asking to get pushed around.

Just another GM/AV f----up. I would rather trade Edler than Ballard personally and give him a shot at what he was signed for........under a new coach.

I will be furious when Ballard lights up with another team.

Just another GM/AV f----up. I would rather trade Edler than Ballard personally and give him a shot at what he was signed for........under a new coach.

I will be furious when Ballard lights up with another team.

After this disaster season, if we do go the new coach route I would like to see Ballard given a clean slate and see what is going on. It does boggle my mind down 2-0 in the playoffs we dress Alberts over Ballard. Alberts was better early in the season but after the deadline Ballard played extremely well until getting hurt again. That said I don't know why he wasn't given a chance to come back in the playoffs we played a "cold" goalie why not a "cold" defenseman?

And what exactly are those concrete examples of TOMapleLaughs? Your paranoid schizophrenia disorder? I mean what can you possibly think that all adds up to? I am not crazy so I can honestly not say and you don't even bother to allude to anything, you just list a bunch of events and don't even attempt to draw a connection between them other than they can all be listed in your deluded ramblings. Pro tip bro: turn off the computer and go outside and get a life, being a shut in with an internet connection is not good for your mental state lol

Really not sure why I've read so many posts about the Canucks organization having a 'losing culture' all of a sudden..? Everybody involved still wants to win. It wasn't our year, again. Time to press on, improve, and hope the best for our team. Don't stress out over things not in your control.

As for Ballard, I like the guy, he didn't fit into AV's blueprint for some reason which is ridiculous.. any other coach would have had him playing in that series. Will be interesting to see how this offseason goes.. I looked forward to surprises :)

Really not sure why I've read so many posts about the Canucks organization having a 'losing culture' all of a sudden..? Everybody involved still wants to win. It wasn't our year, again. Time to press on, improve, and hope the best for our team. Don't stress out over things not in your control.

As for Ballard, I like the guy, he didn't fit into AV's blueprint for some reason which is ridiculous.. any other coach would have had him playing in that series. Will be interesting to see how this offseason goes.. I looked forward to surprises :)

SURPRISE! Gillis will not be changing much! haha

The Canucks have not won anything the past two years and have lost their series against LA and San Jose much more than those teams won them.

I think the eventual cup champion Kings team last year earned Lord Stanley pretty well with their amazing streak.. San Jose's momentum this post-season has yet to be determined. They won't make it out of our conference imo though

and please tell me their will at least be a coaching announcement surprise.. this was AV's last chance for me and i'm a forgiving person

Our boys could make it through the regular season into the playoffs without a coach.. thats how disciplined I feel our leadership in the locker room is. AV is barely necessary anymore except to provide pre-game tips on the other team since its the same system move every play it seems.. insanity!

We need a coach that can strategize a series of games against various opponents by formulating original/creative plans.. hopefully Gillis sees this.

Our boys could make it through the regular season into the playoffs without a coach.. thats how disciplined I feel our leadership in the locker room is. AV is barely necessary anymore except to provide pre-game tips on the other team since its the same system move every play it seems.. insanity!

We need a coach that can strategize a series of games against various opponents by formulating original/creative plans.. hopefully Gillis sees this.

The Kings were beatable. There just needed to be some adjustments made to account for how aggressive they were being to the Canucks whether it was 5 on 5, on the PP, or on the PK. And with the Canucks ability to spread themselves out and move the puck around, it should have actually been a lot easier to neutralize that aggression to some degree. But the Canucks and AV sit back and hope that the way they want to play eventually starts working and wins it for them. The other teams don't get the memo though and like we have seen the past two years those other teams have seized the opportunity to win because they know this to be true and can dictate the play.

I think AV will stay to be honest. For some reason Gillis is too afraid to let him go.

Exactly.

I watched a lot of Ballard and he was a game changing type of dman before Vancouver. Sometimes that was in a bad way defensively....lol. But his ability to influence a game with a big hipcheck or an end to end rush was undeniable. We have even seen him expand his game to become a better fighter and even more willing to stand up for his teammates. He has learned how to mentor young guys like Tanev. He has learned how to face adversity and stay positive about himself and his game.

The biggest joke in all of it is that the team who gets him is going to benefit from AV trying so hard to tear him down. He is a better, more mature, and more well rounded defenceman now than he was previously. And we as Canucks fans only end up seeing the bad. Another team will reap the benefit of his time here.

On a team that lacks pushback, Ballard never backed down from anyone.

And Kryten rules. I love when he apologizes in advance for not doing the laundry because he wanted to sacrifice himself.

Archived