The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring a high draft pick

So considering our team lacks a real blue chip prospect, would trading up at the draft be viable? Should we consider doing it? I mean the draft is deep and stuff, but should we really start trading assets for young developing prospects when our window may still be open? Just wondering...

Yes, we should trade assets for young developing prospects. Because I'm pretty sure everyone knows our window is closed. And we don't want to become the Calgary Flames.

So considering our team lacks a real blue chip prospect, would trading up at the draft be viable? Should we consider doing it? I mean the draft is deep and stuff, but should we really start trading assets for young developing prospects when our window may still be open? Just wondering...

A deal around Edler for Couturier and then try to trade up in the draft by perhaps packaging Booth and our 1st + prospect not named Schroeder, Jensen, Corrado or Gaunce.

If we can get a top 15 pick that would be amazing. Ryan Pulock or Rasmus Ristolainen would be huge for us or if Nichushkin drops like Grigorenko did.

A deal around Edler for Couturier and then try to trade up in the draft by perhaps packaging Booth and our 1st + prospect not named Schroeder, Jensen, Corrado or Gaunce.

If we can get a top 15 pick that would be amazing. Ryan Pulock or Rasmus Ristolainen would be huge for us or if Nichushkin drops like Grigorenko did.

Jensen - Future dynamic top 6 winger with a wicked shot and great vision

Gaunce - One of the top defensive players in the OHL, amazing on faceoffs, a natural leader, and has all the offensive tools to be a less speedy Ryan Kesler

Corrado - Started as a 5th rounder, and within 2 years of his draft he was playing NHL playoff minutes. Near guaranteed top 4 defenceman, maybe more.

Lack - Starting goaltender of the future, if not with us, then with someone else

Jensen - Future dynamic top 6 winger with a wicked shot and great vision

Gaunce - One of the top defensive players in the OHL, amazing on faceoffs, a natural leader, and has all the offensive tools to be a less speedy Ryan Kesler

Corrado - Started as a 5th rounder, and within 2 years of his draft he was playing NHL playoff minutes. Near guaranteed top 4 defenceman, maybe more.

Lack - Starting goaltender of the future, if not with us, then with someone else

Ballard can be a top 4 dman and even top 2 on a couple teams. Booth is a solid second liner and maybe third liner when he is struggling, who can hit. A lot. And he has a scoring touch. Great players on great contracts. Just no room for them here, though I would love to try and keep them

Jensen is a 3rd liner? Ok there. Just going to disregard that opinion as it couldn't be father from the truth. Maybe you're thinking of Hansen, our other Dane.

Gaunce is a 3rd liner at worst, but people who've watched him play in Belleville say he has all the skills to be a top 6 centre. Not to mention he was just behind Mark Scheifele for the OHL playoff scoring lead before his team got eliminated.

Corrado's a RHD, can hit hard, has offensive tools (as shown in the OHL), and was nominated for the CHL defenceman of the year award with Scott Harrington, Ryan Murphy, Dougie Hamilton, Cody Ceci, and Ryan Sproul. If you don't think all of that just screams top 4 D, you need to check your hearing.

I was thinking of Hansen,, sorry, misread your post. Jensen might be a top 6 guy, but like all prospects getting there is another thing.The other two, everytuihng I've read suggest they are likely more back end guys. You never know, some guys keep developiong, but they are certainly not blue chippers. I agree they keep improving their stock though.

Archived