The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where is your trust level in Mike Gillis currently at?

Canuckler87

Mike Gillis came here as GM and oversaw this franchise into its greatest era in history. He promised fans change for the better and introduced many new tactics to achieve them. He claimed that our prospect pool would get better significantly as under his regime, drafting and development were made high priorities. Bold moves were also promised as we took the step towards becoming a serious cup contender.

Many fans, including myself believed this and were very happy with his tenure as GM of our team. However, over the last couple years I have begun to question my judgement and have wondered deeply whether Gillis is truly as good a GM as his record would show.

He inherited the core of our cup final team and one could argue that our prospect pool is considerably weaker than it was before he took over. Poor trades, such as the Ballard deal have negatively impacted this team and project to continue to do so in the future. He has also given long term deals with NTC's to players that could be looked at as underperforming (Edler, Luongo - not lu's play though, but even he said that his contract sucks).

With all that in mind, I must say that my confidence in Gillis is not as high as it was during his first couple years. A lot of his moves have contributed more to our downfall than our success. Holding out on pulling the trigger on a deal for Lu, not to firing AV after last years exit, and refusing to give Torres a two year deal only to try and trade for him two years later have hindered what could have been two more years after our cup run to be a serious contender.

My question for you guys is, where is your trust level for Gillis at? Because for me, it's at an all time low and I would not give him another year if he makes the same mistakes he has been making for next season as well.

My faith started rolling downhill when he signed Bieksa over Ehrhoff. Didn't dump Ballard to keep Ehrhoff. Then he let's go of Torres and signs Marco Sturm.

My faith dropped rock bottom after the Hodgson trade for 5:00/game Zack Kassian.

99%

Of course, half this forum would prefer the Burke/Nonis era where we won a whopping 2 playoff series over 9 years. It's amazing how the more success we've had, the more this fanbase has whined, complained, and scrutinized.

My question for you guys is, where is your trust level for Gillis at? Because for me, it's at an all time low and I would not give him another year if he makes the same mistakes he has been making for next season as well.

Well, like you said, the core was already here. So now it's time to see if he can actually put together a few decent trades. I'm hoping we atleast get picks for Ballard and Booth. I'd take a 7th over buying them out.

We just found out Aquilini is the GM and owner and Mike is his front man.

To me,that makes Canucks hockey interesting.

If Aquilini wants to keep spending the dough and be creative with contracts and whatever they can cook up then there is always the hope that Gillis and Co. can put a better product on the ice.

Really,it is not a bad scenario as long as FA is funding this journey.

Archived