The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't the Canucks play with heart like the Leafs?

RAMBUTANS

I mean, I hate the damn Laffs.

But why do they stick around like gum to your shoe? They have a 2nd-tier goalie, their goalie tandem is light years away from Luo and Red.

Their team is no where near the Canucks' calibre. They are also a small team. But why in the world do they play like there is a reason?

I expected the Big Bad Bruins, Bostonstrong to roll over them 4-0. But why the heck are they still here?

Why didn't the Canucks played like them?

Why? Why? Why?

I don't really think lack of heart is our problem. I think we outworked San Jose but all we did was keep it to the outside and maintain possession of the puck. Other than that we generated very little scoring oppurtunities for ourselves.

Ultimately the reason why we lost is because they played smarter, outcoached us, got to the scoring areas, and killed us with their power play.

I've never understood the hate for the Leafs. They don't seem to be a dirty team like Boston yet Canucks fans hate them?

Anyways, I just think the Canucks keep trying to play a game they cannot win. Since Boston we have tried to play a physical game, we are a skill team. We made it to the finals with skill. Lets play the skill game, thats where we are effective.

Chicago and Pittsburgh are the favourites for the cup this year are they not? They play with skill more than physical....

I mean, I hate the damn Laffs.

But why do they stick around like gum to your shoe? They have a 2nd-tier goalie, their goalie tandem is light years away from Luo and Red.

Their team is no where near the Canucks' calibre. They are also a small team. But why in the world do they play like there is a reason?

I expected the Big Bad Bruins, Bostonstrong to roll over them 4-0. But why the heck are they still here?

Why didn't the Canucks played like them?

Why? Why? Why?

I am not going to kiss the Leafs butts no matter how much some transplanted fans here want us to.

It's a ridiculous comparison anyways. The two series are not identical and to just point at a few numbers to make something fit into a bogus theory is crap science.

Toronto is playing Boston, not San Jose. If Toronto was playing San Jose type team with the exact same peculiarities we could make a comparison but to just point out "more wins= more heart" is sloppy thinking. They are two different situations.

This is a notion I have been thinking about for awhile. I am wondering if in creating a culture that would attract players we have created that country club atmosphere in our current dressing room. The Canucks have been playing like they expect to win but this year those come from behind, half-hearted wins didn't happen.

This was Quinns' downfall years ago when he remained too loyal to players that were on the decline.

Leafs are doing well and Im stoked for them and their fans. Probably my favorite Canadian team behind the Canucks. And they do play with a lot of heart. But I think the Canucks do as well. Only difference is that the Leafs have a line up that gelled better. I think the Nucks bottom 2nd and third lines lacked identity and cohesion (save for the Mayray Kesler Burrows line in Game 4). Hopefully the Nucks can make some moves in the offseason that help address these points. Also, I'm really hoping guys like Kassian keep developing, and we have young prospects like Guance who can play gritty in your face games

Cups won in the last 40 year:

Toronto - 0

Vancouver - 0

SCF appearances in the last 40 years:

Toronto - 0

Vancouver - 3

Presidents Trophies in the past 40 years:

Toronto - 0

Vancouver - 2

I'd say we have at least some bragging rights over the Leafs.

Evenly reffed games helps, plus having that hunger in your first big playoff run, like we did in 2011, and alot of times the Canuck's never were a 'team' per se..roles kept changing with players moving around so much and key players under performing.

OP nailed it. It wasn't the penalties, it wasn't our goalies, it wasn't the lack of skill or size ... it was a lack of heart. We saw that finally come out in game 4 but it was too late. Had they played games 1, 2, 3 like they did game 4 ... who knows what would happen. Certainly not an embarassing sweep. I think most of us would feel a lot better if they gave it their all and lost in 7 but their pathetic half arse effort in games 1-3 was pathetic, they should refund the money of those who went to games 1 & 2.

Archived