The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Name That Canuck!

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/31/2020 at 11:05 AM, zimmy said:

Looking at the jersey this guy is Finnish, S U O M I , so that means .... late seventies uniform .... why am I still stumped!?

Hint: he never played a regular season game for the Canucks but did appear in exhibition games, wearing #16.

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Too obscure, I give up

Ok, In the interest of moving things along...

Lasse Oksanen. Invited to the first camp in 1970.  Scored at least one preseason goal.  Canucks were making noise about sending him to the minors.  He balked - his understanding was he either played in the NHL or was released.  Went home to Finland and eventually wound up in the IIHF HOF.  The award for best player in Finland is the Lasse Oksanen Trophy.  Its  been won by the likes of  Saku Koivu, Tim Thomas (2005) and Anttii Raanta. 

1970Finns.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, skeena1 said:

Hint: he never played a regular season game for the Canucks but did appear in exhibition games, wearing #16.

Esa Peltonen .........?

Lasse Oksanen !!!!!!!  I had to scour the Canada Cup 1976 rosters and eliminated all the names I sorta knew and then ....... Lasse Oksanen!!!!

This was a deep reach indeed

i had it right! But you beat me to it!

Edited by zimmy

35 minutes ago, skeena1 said:

Ok, In the interest of moving things along...

Lasse Oksanen. Invited to the first camp in 1970.  Scored at least one preseason goal.  Canucks were making noise about sending him to the minors.  He balked - his understanding was he either played in the NHL or was released.  Went home to Finland and eventually wound up in the IIHF HOF.  The award for best player in Finland is the Lasse Oksanen Trophy.  Its  been won by the likes of  Saku Koivu, Tim Thomas (2005) and Anttii Raanta. 

1970Finns.png

He was 28 not 21 and from what I read Peltonen never made it to camp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...