The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expectations are the problem

fanfor42

like you i've been around since rocket richard and stan the man musial...i've played hockey on the back sheet of ice in the old forum....

my brother was a canuck fan and had season tickets from almost the beginning...he never missed a training camp and even

used to fly to syracuse and watch the teams farm team....he wasn't always a follow blindly type of fan..but endured the loses, taking enjoyment from the teams efforts .he died in 1999 while at

the canuck's training camp. he never saw the canucks win the cup....

i don't know more than anyone and don't pretend to.......but i have learned that we can expect the team to play the best they can but we can't make them win the cup....i always told my players is that if you give every thing you got and leave everything you got out on the ice, then you are all winners to me...i can't seperate my beliefs for them and the canucks...

you say, i always say the same thing in every post....i do, because that is what i believe...

i don't understand what is to not understand what it means, that they either the cup or they don't.....that is the same with every team......

my point of my post is, we all have opinions and are entitled to them, but that is all they are....as much as we try to make management see things our way, their expertise has more components than how we think....

gillis has one more chance to turn this team around....do we fight him at every turn or do we get behind whoever he brings in.....

if i'm a bad fan for thinking this way, then maybe i'm the canuck's worst fan...shoot me at sunrise.

If it is the Hawks in the Bruins in the final think about this. Canucks one of their biggest rivals will win another cup in a short span. The Canucks were a one year run team like the Sens, Flames, and Oilers. The 4 remaining teams are elite, as in they have all won recently and could very well have a good chance to win for the next 3-5 years

I would like to know! how many of the Canucks gave everything they had and left everything on the ice, in any game this season ? I think most fans could tolerate the losses, if the team had played with this mentality this season, or any season.

If it is the Hawks in the Bruins in the final think about this. Canucks one of their biggest rivals will win another cup in a short span. The Canucks were a one year run team like the Sens, Flames, and Oilers. The 4 remaining teams are elite, as in they have all won recently and could very well have a good chance to win for the next 3-5 years

I would like to know! how many of the Canucks gave everything they had and left everything on the ice, in any game this season ? I think most fans could tolerate the losses, if the team had played with this mentality this season, or any season.

It has nothing to do with either "getting behind him" or "fighting him". Like you yourself said, whatever we think or say will have no discernable effect on how they play. Of course as a fan, I'll keep cheering for the Canucks even if I think Gillis has made one or more mistakes. Because one criticizes the team at times doesn't mean they're not supporting them and hoping they win.

As to your last line, please stop with the melodrama. In the end, it's only hockey, after all.

I love the way this thread has touched the nerves of so many long time fans. I was at the 1st game, had season tickets all through the bleak years of the 70's and 80's and now live in Australia. Despite the geographical problems, I spent a small fortune to fly to Vancouver to go to the cup run in 2011 (I have the white flags for 5 games - 2 for the Conference Final, 3 for the final series).

Expectations?? Hell, yes. Every year I expect them to win and I would not be a true fan unless I did.

I have heard every excuse imaginable and none are acceptable. The right blend of skill and grit and a lot of puck luck win the cup. It will be our time - next year.

I love the way this thread has touched the nerves of so many long time fans. I was at the 1st game, had season tickets all through the bleak years of the 70's and 80's and now live in Australia. Despite the geographical problems, I spent a small fortune to fly to Vancouver to go to the cup run in 2011 (I have the white flags for 5 games - 2 for the Conference Final, 3 for the final series).

Expectations?? Hell, yes. Every year I expect them to win and I would not be a true fan unless I did.

I have heard every excuse imaginable and none are acceptable. The right blend of skill and grit and a lot of puck luck win the cup. It will be our time - next year.

I wasn't around for the 96 run - we moved to Aus in 92 and internet was not fast enough to allow live streaming until about 5 years ago. Vancouver fans have always been very critical and very demanding (sometimes unjustifiably).

We have a core of good (very good?) players that make them fun to watch. It's up to MG to find the winning combination but there are 29 other MG/GM's trying to do the same thing. MG has a VERY difficult job - and there are thousands in the Lower Mainland area who think they are smarter.

I am available to come to Vancouver to fix all the problems but my demands are:

1) a huge salary in the millions

2) much better weather and summers that last longer than 2 weeks

3) better beaches - Kits doesn't quite cut it

for those of you older type, you must remember connie madigan, guyle fielder, lou fontinanto, eddie and ollie dorohoy, andy bathgate and larry popein.......the donney brooks with the nw bruins.....

I wasn't around for the 96 run - we moved to Aus in 92 and internet was not fast enough to allow live streaming until about 5 years ago. Vancouver fans have always been very critical and very demanding (sometimes unjustifiably).

We have a core of good (very good?) players that make them fun to watch. It's up to MG to find the winning combination but there are 29 other MG/GM's trying to do the same thing. MG has a VERY difficult job - and there are thousands in the Lower Mainland area who think they are smarter.

I am available to come to Vancouver to fix all the problems but my demands are:

1) a huge salary in the millions

2) much better weather and summers that last longer than 2 weeks

3) better beaches - Kits doesn't quite cut it

My personal expectations are, that the key players play to the best of their ability. Management has to have the right key pieces in place. I believe we went skill and speed, much like pittsburg. Now I wonder why they are having thier arses handed to them by a physical brutal team. I know the officiating plays a key role in the type of play allowed. We have a bad rap. We need to get over that and play physical, hard and clean, take no crap and let our skill players shine. We also need to play our prospects and allow them to make mistakes and grow.

Bigger is most often better IMHO. let's surround our skill with size and spped and I think we may have a better result.

Archived