The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

Is it about wins at this point though? For a team that knows it won't win a cup this year, how important is this game really?

This wouldn't be a sentimental start like we saw in New Jersey when Schneider obviously deserved the game and was the better goalie. Lou is still a top goalie in the league.

I can't believe they did this to him. My biggest hope is Lou goes on somewhere and wins a cup with a big middle finger to the Canucks.

I have a problem with this, once a team gets into the Playoffs, which the Canucks still have a chance of doing as much as it is cliche anything can happen.

I would have had no problem with Lack or Luongo playing next game as in my opinion they both give the team a chance to win, we can talk about " respect " for a player all day long, i'd like to think the team comes first or at least it should.

Brodeur is an entirely different scenario, he is at the point of finishing his career, has provided 20 years of top goaltending in New Jersey, brought the organization championships and so on.

Is it not about wins though ? I understand Luongo is the starter, you'd think he should be given the start against Ottawa. But Lack has played very well and deserves that start. Does Lack at this time not give the Canucks a better chance to win ?

I don't see how Luongo gives us any worse chance to win than Lack does. Sorry, but this is a bush league move in my opinion. Lack just started 2 in a row, and Luongo is supposed to be the starter. This isn't a game where you just start your backup. I love the Canucks, and I've supported them since I was 4 years old, but I've lost a lot of respect for them today with this decision. It's a slap in the face to Luongo, who's endured more than a few of them recently from this organization and still performs at an elite level for this team.

Lack has let in one goal in 125 minutes and stopped 6/7 in the shootout.. I can understand why they didn't want to go away from him, personally yes I would've started Lou but it's hard to take out a goalie who has played like that the last two games. Also, this heritage classic thing is way overblown by the nhl and the only reason I'm looking forward to it is because my two favorite teams are playing, the fact that it's outdoors just lessens the quality of play.

940-couture-logan.jpg

Big Deal In the Nations Capital

The Ottawa Senators have acquired one of the best up and coming two way forwards in the league. Logan Couture brings an impressive set of skills to a fairly young group of forwards in Ottawa. He will likely start on the left side of Ryan Getzlaf and Blake Wheeler. The Senators also acquired Scott Mayfield, Calvin Pickard and Ryan Spooner. All 3 are full of potential and already have AHL games under their belt. The Ottawa Senators would like to wish Brayden Schenn, Matt Halischuk, Ryan Hartman, Robert Hagg and John Gibson all the best in New York. They will all be a big part of their retool.

This trade marks the beginning of what should be an eventful trade deadline for the Senators. It looks like they are not done yet and rumor has it they are looking to improve their 3rd line and add a top 4 dman. Adam Henrique, Adam Larsson, Andy Greene, Frazer Mclaren, Erik Condra, David Booth and Tim Thomas are all rumored to be available. If interested or willing to talk trades please contact GM Winterhawks.

Just my two cents: but if Lack gets the start, could it not be to protect Lu from a three ring circus of a game that has historically had more than its share of injuries with bad ice. Could it not be to showcase Lack for an upcoming trade that would keep Lu at number one..and could it not be to help LU overcome a bug he may have picked up in SOchi. There is so much going on in the room that we don't know, and yet as fans we jump the speculation gun very guickly and try to level blame to any situation we don't fully understand. I am guilty of it too, but there MUST be reasons why Lu wouldn't start, and it may not simply be 'cuz the canucks want to piss him off".

The decision to play Lack over Luongo was a pure hockey decision and nothing more. They are fighting for their playoff lives right now. Sitting a goalie that has allowed 1 goal in his last 2 games and stopped 6 of 7 shots in a shootout just because of a gimmick game would be a poor decision. Kudos to Torts for having the balls to do the right thing under the pressure of this over dramatic market we live in. I'm surprised Luongo isnt more understanding of that. He should have said that he understands from a hockey stand point why Lack is starting and that its more about the team than it is for him. Instead he pouted and talked about how he had been looking forward to the game and that he has always wanted to play in one.

Report: Detroit has made a trade leading up to the deadline, pending league approval, with reports indicating that more moves could be made in the coming days. The phones are very busy in the management offices in Detroit.

standingsEastern.png

ATLANTIC

1small.png Florida Panthers 4427

2small.png Ottawa Senators 4064

3small.png Boston Bruins 3929

METROPOLITAN

1small.png New Jersey Devils 4052

2small.png New York Rangers 3639

3small.png Washington Capitals 3592

WILD CARD

1small.png Buffalo Sabres 3758

2small.png Pittsburgh Penguins 3535