The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Jake Virtanen NEEDS to make the team next year over Kenins,Higgins, Matthias or anyone else.

He brings everything the Canucks need in the lineup.

Pretty terrible idea imo unless he is ridiculously good and totally ready. Dont want to ruin his development by rushing him.

Definitely seems to be reaching where he was prior to his injury, albeit in a better league with a more developed defensive game. Hope he keeps it going for the playoffs.

Man the offseason and next season are gonna be interesting.

Jake Virtanen NEEDS to make the team next year over Kenins,Higgins, Matthias or anyone else.

He'll get the full pre-season of 6 games (or however many we play). He will play with good players. Although i doubt Virtanen makes the show next year. He needs to learn the defensive side of the game. However I see Bonino gone being replace by McCann.

H.Sedin

Horvat

McCann

Richardson ( leadership, PK, emotion

I agree. Not every prospect is the same. Some will thrive with early icetime. With Bo killing penalties Higgins is totally expendable and this team will benefit more with some young blood..... that can actually hit the net.

he was still LW as of last playoff game. most likely will still be LW in tonight's playoff game too.

You know I'm a fan of Gaunce, and I could see him back at center in the NHL at the 4th if not also the 3rd line level, but wing is somewhere he'll likely excel a little better.

But back to Shinkaruk, good to see him having a solid run here and continuing it into playoffs. Hopefully he can build off of that (and a solid offseason's training) to come to camp on fire next season.

In all my years watching the Canucks I am stunned to think that next year the team could ice an entire rookie 4th line. Not saying they will but the concept is staggering.

What Willie D has accomplished by reigning the Twins back and rolling 4 lines is the biggest development the team has made in years. It will probably extend their careers and it has allowed Horvat to develop. Horvat moves to at least 3C next year and makes room for more youth to move onto the 4th line.

This kid has always played gritty and with a lot of heart, it's no wonder he's leading the AHL in playoff scoring right now. We'll see how much longer it lasts, but I had a feeling we'd have a gem in Shinkaruk. He is EXACTLY what the Canucks need in their middle-6 right now, and luckily he'll be the perfect replacement for Alex Burrows in the future.

He may score 15-20 goals during the regular season as a secondary scorer, but come playoff time you win with these sorts of kids. May be a bit undersized but he plays like Parise.

Baertschi - ? - Virtanen

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Matthias/Gaunce - Hansen/Kenins

Sedin - Sedin - ?

You win with that sort of depth.

What? Physicality and speed?

JV isn't even dominant in the WHL... Heck, he's not even the best forward on his team. Horvat on the other hand was just as good and showed an immense amount of maturity and leadership AND STILL didn't slot into the Canucks until he was 19.

JV is the prime example of a shiny new prospect that would satisfy CDC's wet dreams should he slot into the Canucks line up despite being VERY raw and still needing a lot of development. Worse yet, you say that he NEEDS to make the team next year over a guy who's shown tremendous work ethic and poise (as well as production) to get where he's at, as well as two average yet seasoned pros.

All you need to do is look at Edmonton to see how rushing a prospect works out in the end.

Archived