The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

A lot of our prospects seem to go to the dirty areas to score goals. That is something we're sorely lacking. Great to see!

Yup, exactly. Be it shink, Cassels, gaunce, Virtanen. They get it done, haven't seen the most of McCann, so I dont really know how he does in that aspect. But your right, not a lot of Canucks know how to score that way. Kesler sure didn't

Yup, exactly. Be it shink, Cassels, gaunce, Virtanen. They get it done, haven't seen the most of McCann, so I dont really know how he does in that aspect. But your right, not a lot of Canucks know how to score that way. Kesler sure didn't

Sure, but then let me know when one of those guys you listed hits 41 goals at least one. Because that Kesler guy did.

Not sure why you even brought him up in this discussion.

guntrix replied: There is absolutely no way that every single one of our forward prospects pans out...

I'm going to word it the way I think he meant to word it... Not every roster spot (minus Kassian) will be filled by someone we drafted. There will always be trades and free agents.

Fortunately for your argument, Canucks ARE drafting smarter these days, overall. I think they nearly tripled their scouting budget a few years ago didn't they?

Kesler was obviously good enough to score 40 goals. Something we'd be very lucky to get from any one of our prospects.

As for Shink. Hard not to love this guy. Has people riding him about his size, but is able to battle like a beast. Hopefully he stays tenacious at the NHL level.

Kesler was obviously good enough to score 40 goals. Something we'd be very lucky to get from any one of our prospects.

As for Shink. Hard not to love this guy. Has people riding him about his size, but is able to battle like a beast. Hopefully he stays tenacious at the NHL level.

Oh for sure, Kesler unfortunately is my favorite player all time in any sport. I love him, but he didn't know how to get to the front of the net and score, something that would have even taken him to the next level. And yea man, I agree shink is such a beauty. I believe he will be quite successful in the NHL

Sure, but then let me know when one of those guys you listed hits 41 goals at least one. Because that Kesler guy did.

Not sure why you even brought him up in this discussion.

Still sour they way he went out, been my boy since day one. But that was one season, his next high was 26. cheechoo had 50 goals. Didn't have to bring him up in the thread, all I'm saying is its great to have some goal scorers come up ready to drive to the net for greasy goals.

One thing Shink has going for him is you get the impression that he really loves playing. Sometimes when you talk to some of these professional guys they look at things more like business and the sheer fun of playing a game seems like a distant memory. When you see Shinkaruk play you don't see any of that. Even when he is on the bench he has a huge smile going. That's the kind of guy who is going to go out with 25 pucks by himself and try and hit the crossbar ten times in a row just because. Easy kid to root for.

I apologize for ending the last sentence with a preposition.

One thing Shink has going for him is you get the impression that he really loves playing. Sometimes when you talk to some of these professional guys they look at things more like business and the sheer fun of playing a game seems like a distant memory. When you see Shinkaruk play you don't see any of that. Even when he is on the bench he has a huge smile going. That's the kind of guy who is going to go out with 25 pucks by himself and try and hit the crossbar ten times in a row just because. Easy kid to root for.

He's got enough hockey skills to play at the NHL level eventually IMO. But what's truly going to make him excel is that attitude/spirit he has.

Love the kid :towel:

I agree, that's why I would love to see him play with Kass and Horvat. What energy and fun that line would be. :)

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Shinkaruk start the year in the AHL after being one of the final training camp cuts, then getting called up after Christmas a la Kenins and sticking for the second half of the season.

If he can repeat his improvement from the first half to second half of last season I could definitely see him getting a call up whether for injuries or simply based on merit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived