The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Seen on HFboards(as per Hippy & James sayin'), apparently CBJ has the hots for this kid.

To gauge value, & how much our fans want to keep all our OHL C-beauts. (just for curiosity's sake)...

Cassels + Lack

CBJ: Their 8th overall?

Is this value fair or unrealistic? What if we could make it Markstrom(+ a Jensen-type?), instead of Lack?

I don't think its realistic, but I'd make that trade.

Seen on HFboards(as per Hippy & James sayin'), apparently CBJ has the hots for this kid.

To gauge value, & how much our fans want to keep all our OHL C-beauts. (just for curiosity's sake)...

Cassels + Lack

CBJ: Their 8th overall?

Is this value fair or unrealistic? What if we could make it Markstrom(+ a Jensen-type?), instead of Lack?

They have a russian goal-tender who is lights out.

Why is it that as soon as one our prospects starts looking really good we start talking about trading them?

Nature of the beast. Whenever a player has one bad game people are ready to drive them to the airport for a bag of pucks too.

Have to emphasize, from all I've heard/read(haven't really watched, since here in Asia) about Cassels, I'd rather we keep him.

That said, I'm curious which of our younger C-stash, JB will choose to part with? Guessing it will be at least 1, probably to upgrade our D prospect-depth...

Have to emphasize, from all I've heard/read(haven't really watched, since here in Asia) about Cassels, I'd rather we keep him.

That said, I'm curious which of our younger C-stash, JB will choose to part with? Guessing it will be at least 1, probably to upgrade our D prospect-depth...

Tough call.

Horvat is our best center prospect, so that's out.

Benning seems to be very high on McCann, so that's unlikely.

It seems as though Gaunce may be switched to wing.

Considering how good he is, we probably wouldn't get a fair return for Cassels considering he was a 3rd round pick.

It's tough...

48MPH^ You talk as if my fingers over the nuclear-trade button.

I recommend you pick up a nice dictionary, & pore over the word, 'DISCUSSION'.

Either that, or continually drive your car down one-ways 'til you crash...Cheerio, ol' chap.

edit- Gee, as I post this you start reasonable discussion! :^)

Tough call.

Horvat is our best center prospect, so that's out.

Benning seems to be very high on McCann, so that's unlikely.

It seems as though Gaunce may be switched to wing.

Considering how good he is, we probably wouldn't get a fair return for Cassels considering he was a 3rd round pick.

It's tough...

gaunce has been switched to the wing for a LONG time now.

48MPH^ You talk as if my fingers over the nuclear-trade button.

I recommend you pick up a nice dictionary, & pore over the word, 'DISCUSSION'.

Either that, or continually drive your car down one-ways 'til you crash...Cheerio, ol' chap.

edit- Gee, as I post this you start reasonable discussion! :^)

Holy overreacting, Batman!!

Jeez, did I touch a nerve or something?

Sometimes all you can do is :picard:

Canucks made a mistake 20 years ago when they traded away a 21-year old, smallish centerman, who played big, posted some decent offence, was solid defensively and oozed leadership qualities for a Russian 'superstar' who gave the Canucks one 56 goal season and 3 1/2 seasons of bush league hockey.

IMO, after seeing what Cassels has done this past season, he reminds me of Mike Peca...I hope Benning and company give this kid a long look.

gaunce has been switched to the wing for a LONG time now.

I know. That's my point. Had he still been playing center, I would say that he was a little redundant with all of the other centers we have in the fold. Now that he's a winger, the situation changes, and he's no longer redundant.

Yeah 48, getting edgy from past mayhem(apologies in kind)..Get stressed when people seem to think these boards are only for spouting the corp-propaganda & groupthink.

I view them as a place to spitball, & just muse on possible directions.

Times one tries to play Devil's advocate(purpose of discussion), & almost gets tarred & feathered for the fact.

Hard to say what his trade value would be, but his age presents a variable. Cox is right to suggest that its a factor, but thats not to take anything away from Cassels, its just the one thing that you can argue against his positive showing right now, to how he might turn out in the long run.

I don't believe that Benning and co would part with him at this stage as its unlikely that anyone is going to give up more than what he's looking like he could become. I could only really see a deal that he's used in to catch a bigger fish. Itd have to be a fish thats 25 or under as well.

I'm trying to compare Cole Cassels to Bo Horvat and there are some comparables I think. My info is based completely on stats with no regard to defensive ability although with the performance Cassels had against McDavid it's fair to say that he could be on par with Horvat. They are both the same age so that makes it easier to compare.

Bo Horvat 6' 206 lbs

2013-2014 54GP 30G 44A 74P Playoffs 9GP 5G 6A 11P <-Draft +1

2014-2015 Played with Canucks

Cole Cassels 6' 178 lbs

2013-2014 61GP 24G 49A 73P Playoffs 12GP 6G 11A 17P

2014-2015 54GP 30G 51A 81P Playoffs 21GP 10G 21A 31P

I think what can be taken away from this is that as a whole Cassels doesn't have quite the offensive ability of Horvat although if I'm not mistaken he was playing on the second line all season long (confirm?). Having said that it's quite close I think...and in the future Cassels could end up being the better offensive player of the two. In the playoffs it seems that Cassels has a leg up on Horvat as in his draft +1 year he had 17 pts in 12 games where as Horvat only had 11pts in 9 games. Cassels also had a monster playoffs this year where in any other draft year with no McDavid, Cassels would've been MVP with an eye popping 31p in 21 games.

After looking at a few of the past leading point getters in the playoffs for the past 5 years Cassels performance ranks in the upper half of point getters. There are a few 32-35 point production players with a few years the top was only 27 pts. Pretty damn good.

Archived