The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Would have liked to see him join the Comets, not to play but for the experience.!that being said he's played a lot of hockey and earned his rest.

Hell, his playoff performance is even more impressive given him nursing an injury.

Just a question. If Cole can be as effective as his father. Would you consider him a successful draft pick?

Andrew Cassels' career stats: 1015GP, 204G, 528A, 732 Pts.

...Nah...to me, a 3rd rounder needs at least 800 points to be a success.

What a steal for a third round pick. Hope to see him on the big club come training camp, or atleast given a shot.

Yeah its looking like a good pick. JB should flip him while his stock is high. Nashville need young centers but are stocked pretty good at D.

Cassels + Bieksa + 2015 1st

for

Weber + 2015 2nd

Weber has a huge contract and I believe if the right deal came along they would move him. They have few if any decent young centers. Fisher and Ribeiro are 35 so that leaves Forsberg going forward. That cant be good for the Preds and they might be looking for cap relief from Webers contract

Yeah its looking like a good pick. JB should flip him while his stock is high. Nashville need young centers but are stocked pretty good at D.

Cassels + Bieksa + 2015 1st

for

Weber + 2015 2nd

Weber has a huge contract and I believe if the right deal came along they would move him. They have few if any decent young centers. Fisher and Ribeiro are 35 so that leaves Forsberg going forward. That cant be good for the Preds and they might be looking for cap relief from Webers contract

I'd take Josi over Weber.

Just a question. If Cole can be as effective as his father. Would you consider him a successful draft pick?

Only 3 players picked after his father in the 1987 draft scored as much as he did (the highest pick among those being drafted in the mid-2nd) and only 3 players picked after him played as many NHL games as he did. Andrew wasn't a steal but he was a successful pick in the late 1st round.

So the question comes down to whether we would consider Cole a successful 3rd round pick if he can be as effective as a reasonably successful late 1st round pick. The answer seems obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized this guy was picked as a result of the David Booth trade. Wow its amazing how Mike Gillis' work has started to pay off after he got canned.

Actually I recall one of the things I said during the Booth trade (I was a new member at the time) was that the 4th round pick would be the a real wild card in this VAN/FLA trade and could turn out to be a good player. Oh how I love being right after all these years :)

I just realized this guy was picked as a result of the David Booth trade. Wow its amazing how Mike Gillis' work has started to pay off after he got canned.

Actually I recall one of the things I said during the Booth trade (I was a new member at the time) was that the 4th round pick would be the a real wild card in this VAN/FLA trade and could turn out to be a good player. Oh how I love being right after all these years :)

Like I've said all along if it wasn't for Gillis massive ego he was a pretty damn good gm.

• 2 weeks later...

at the moment Linden Vey has the 4C spot on the roster. If no one is brought in through free agency/trade for the 4C roster spot, can Cassels beat out Vey for a spot on the roster?

I think he just might be able to. If Vey improves over the summer, then i say no, as long as he looks stronger/heavier(playing wise) and quicker all around. If Vey hasn't improved much, then i think he'll be moved to the wing, and see what happens, then cassels takes the 4C spot. Maybe a vet has to be moved. Its going to be very interesting!

Cassels main issue is his skating. Vey is not a speedster in the NHL, but he's a fair bit quicker than Cole.

If Cole can improve his skating enough he should be able to slot in at 4C without a ton of issues. He can play that role at 190 just like Ritchie did.

Prust Cassels Dorsett

would be the most hated line in hockey probably haha.

If not then I think he plays 1C in Utica until his game improves to be a regular NHLer, probably after the trade deadline he is full time either way.

Shinkaruk Cassels Grenier (could make team)

Gaunce Friesen DeFazio/Jensen

Archibald LaBate DeFazio/Jensen

Blomstrand Valk Fox

Stewart

If not then I think he plays 1C in Utica until his game improves to be a regular NHLer, probably after the trade deadline he is full time either way.

Yeah I agree -- if we do as expected and clear the deck to some extent, he should be one of the first ones up, especially considering how well he showed a full two years ago already at his first camp. Not sure what line he'll take in Utica, but I'd expect Travis to start him off at 3 or 4 and have him earn his way up.

Yeah I agree -- if we do as expected and clear the deck to some extent, he should be one of the first ones up, especially considering how well he showed a full two years ago already at his first camp. Not sure what line he'll take in Utica, but I'd expect Travis to start him off at 3 or 4 and have him earn his way up.

True true, the Comets Centre depth is gone though.

Friesen and LaBate are the only C's under contract other than Cassels at the AHL level. He's got as much experience as LaBate, and more skill than Friesen so really unless Valk gets signed and ends up beating everyone out for that spot I see him being at worst #2 C to start.

Green will probably love his game though.

Archived