The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

at the moment Linden Vey has the 4C spot on the roster. If no one is brought in through free agency/trade for the 4C roster spot, can Cassels beat out Vey for a spot on the roster?

No even tho Cassels could win the spot Vey just got signed and has Daddy on his side.

Is Santorelli signed yet...?

I do agree though that if no other UFA is signed, Cassels is going to make for some stiff competition for one Linden Vey. Which is fantastic IMO B)

Agreed, but only if Vey at 4C isn't a done deal in a stacked deck, which is entirely possible given the playing of favourites we've seen over the last year. If he's "Benning's guy" then out-competing him may not matter. I hate to talk this way because I actually like Vey more than most on this board, but I trust this management team less and less with every passing day.

Just a question. If Cole can be as effective as his father. Would you consider him a successful draft pick?

If Cole has 1/5th the career of his father I would consider him a successful draft pick for the 3rd round. In fact, 1/5th the points would make Cole the 4th highest scoring 3rd rounder in Canucks history.

Andrew Cassels is the 7th highest scoring player of his draft class...by a huge margin.

The players ahead of him are all either top line or franchise players: Joe Sakic, Brendan Shanahan, Pierre Turgeon, Theo Fluery, John LeClair, and Mathieu Schneider.

Cassels compiled 732 career points, just 87 less than John LeClair who sits in 5th yet 153 ahead of Shawn McEachern in 8th.

I don't get the hate for Vey. He makes a lot of smart plays, chips it out the corner, keeps the play alive. But I agree Cassels can absolutely compete for the 4th center spot. I think gaunce would be nice also, but since he's been moved to wing it looks like Cassels v. Vey

I don't get the hate for Vey. He makes a lot of smart plays, chips it out the corner, keeps the play alive. But I agree Cassels can absolutely compete for the 4th center spot. I think gaunce would be nice also, but since he's been moved to wing it looks like Cassels v. Vey

I personally have zero problem with Vey and regularly defend him on here. However, IMO, he's better suited to a RW role that can occasionally play center. And as of right now is also best suited to 13th forward / fill in for the middle 6. IE: not our 4C.

I personally have zero problem with Vey and regularly defend him on here. However, IMO, he's better suited to a RW role that can occasionally play center. And as of right now is also best suited to 13th forward / fill in for the middle 6. IE: not or 4C.

Yeah Vey can play 4C and not make mistakes, but he might get outmuscled and that's not what we want. Cassels, if ready, makes more sense. Vey can slot in to help the powerplay

Yeah Vey can play 4C and not make mistakes, but he might get outmuscled and that's not what we want. Cassels, if ready, makes more sense. Vey can slot in to help the powerplay

we aren't in win now mode so it actually makes more sense for cassels to play in Utica. Vey has to clear cassels doesn't. No Brainer for me.

Agreed, but only if Vey at 4C isn't a done deal in a stacked deck, which is entirely possible given the playing of favourites we've seen over the last year. If he's "Benning's guy" then out-competing him may not matter. I hate to talk this way because I actually like Vey more than most on this board, but I trust this management team less and less with every passing day.

Never mind centre, how much icetime did "Benning's guy" get in the playoffs, period?

Never mind centre, how much icetime did "Benning's guy" get in the playoffs, period?

I doubt this was meant to be answered, but to avoid others taking the time to look it up as I did ...

1 game, 9:59.

I just realized this guy was picked as a result of the David Booth trade. Wow its amazing how Mike Gillis' work has started to pay off after he got canned.

Actually I recall one of the things I said during the Booth trade (I was a new member at the time) was that the 4th round pick would be the a real wild card in this VAN/FLA trade and could turn out to be a good player. Oh how I love being right after all these years :)

What cancels out Gillis good work are his insane NTC with term. Gillis sunk his own ship filled with ego. Glad the guy is gone.

I think the NTC were a necessary evil to bring salaries down, so don't really have a problem with them. They were in win now mode and you can't build that 2011 team without those lowered salaries because of NTC. Was a necessary tradeoff at the time and we were one win away from it paying off.

I think the NTC were a necessary evil to bring salaries down, so don't really have a problem with them. They were in win now mode and you can't build that 2011 team without those lowered salaries because of NTC. Was a necessary tradeoff at the time and we were one win away from it paying off.

lol funny that your defending Gillis while your screen name is FireGillis :P

Anyways you'd think an ex-player agent would know how difficult it is to move a player with a NTC and how it may depreciate value. Guess things change over time so maybe he didn't. C'est la vie, it's just another way to mortgage your future I guess, makes sense on the win-now approach but certainly Benning is feeling it now lol

Cole is the essence of the kind of player JB wants. He plays hockey like his life depends on it and plays even harder when he's challenged. Along with some decent skills, he's the kind of guy that will develop into a huge asset during important games.

Imo, Cassels becomes one of the best 3Cs in the NHL when he's fully developed.

lol funny that your defending Gillis while your screen name is FireGillis :P

Anyways you'd think an ex-player agent would know how difficult it is to move a player with a NTC and how it may depreciate value. Guess things change over time so maybe he didn't. C'est la vie, it's just another way to mortgage your future I guess, makes sense on the win-now approach but certainly Benning is feeling it now lol

Yet without those NTC's we don't have at least a couple of those assets at all to even worry about their depreciated value or "difficulty" in moving them.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I don't want to jinx it but doesn't it seem like we finally got some luck when it comes to cassels? 3rd round pick that could turn into a premier 3rd line centre? Thank Gillis you get way to much hate around here.

Once you get by the horribleness of 2008/09/10 the picks are very good.

Looks like he hit a home run with Horvat.

Corrado, Grenier, Hutton, Cannata, Friesen, Suban, Cederholm are all late round picks that might make the NHL at some point.

Just goes to show how long it takes to evaluate a GM.

Archived