The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Cassels needs time to adjust to the adult pro game. It's a lot harder to play his 'edgy' style against experienced men that against undeveloped teenagers.

I doubt the management wants to rush him into the NHL, when they already have bottom 6 players that are not waiver exempt. Cole will learn the pro game and if he adjusts quickly, he might be get a call up during the season.

Give the kid a break and be patient with him. He will undoubtedly make the jump at some point.

Really makes me sooooo glad that the farm team is nowhere near the parent team's market.

Uh dude. I don't even think he was 2-3 PPG... Cassels suck. What a waste of a third round pick. Should've drafted Lipon or Bjorkstrand instead.

At least Cassels does not suck as much as you. Should've sent you to the Flamers board.

This is a team game, people are trying to make it seem like he single handedly shut McDavid down or something, the Generals were the best defensive team in the OHL were they not?

The way I see it, Cassels will be in AHL for 2 or 3 years with some call ups along the way. He is not a great skater from what I have seen and will need awhile to adjust to NHL speed.

He's been a pleasant surprise for a 3rd rounder but this whole "shut down McJesus thing seems to have excited this fan base into unrealistic expectations for Cole

Of course it was a team effort, but it's not uncommon for teams to be drawing match ups, and in this case Cassels's assignment was McDavid.

I am not saying that Cassels singlehandedly shutdown McDavid but a lot of people including me saw that he had a major role in that. Because of that, I'm saying it's not unlikely for Cassels to be able to take on some NHL assignments and possibly make the team.

At least Cassels does not suck as much as you. Should've sent you to the Flamers board.

You're kidding right? Why don't you read the posts above and use your sarcasm detector to see if you can find any then come back to me and see if you still want to deport me to the Flamers board.

You're kidding right? Why don't you read the posts above and use your sarcasm detector to see if you can find any then come back to me and see if you still want to deport me to the Flamers board.

At least we now know not everybody has been exposed to Desi. There's hope for the few

To the majority of people who saw Cole play in the Mem Cup and were concerned about his foot speed, acceleration and top-end speed.. its now been documented that he has been dealing with an abdominal issue for months. An injury like that will hinder even the best of skaters and leave them looking slow and lethargic.

I still believe that he needs to work on those three areas of his overall skating, but having seen him play earlier in the season and in season's past, I believe he is a better skater than what we saw during Oshawa's playoff run.

Heart and soul type player with top-9 upside. Steal of a deal in the 3rd round. And that's coming from someone who was shouting Oliver Bjorkstrand's name during the draft.

So much this. The whole team's sole game.plan to win the series was to shutdown McDavid. When he was on the ice everyone just went to him. I'm sure Cole did a great job but by no means did he shutdown McDavid on his own and once McDavid is surrounded by NHL players not scrubs he'll be even harder to shut down.

fortunately we don't need to worry about that until he becomes a ufa 7 years from now.

Interview on 1040 right now

- he's had an abdominal tweak since the WJC development camp last December, still rehabbing

That'll certainly slow his off season training. It'll be tough for him to make an NHL roster in that case but he may progress quite well in the AHL.

To the majority of people who saw Cole play in the Mem Cup and were concerned about his foot speed, acceleration and top-end speed.. its now been documented that he has been dealing with an abdominal issue for months. An injury like that will hinder even the best of skaters and leave them looking slow and lethargic.

I still believe that he needs to work on those three areas of his overall skating, but having seen him play earlier in the season and in season's past, I believe he is a better skater than what we saw during Oshawa's playoff run.

Heart and soul type player with top-9 upside. Steal of a deal in the 3rd round. And that's coming from someone who was shouting Oliver Bjorkstrand's name during the draft.

How much smaller is Bjork versus Shinkaruk?

That'll certainly slow his off season training. It'll be tough for him to make an NHL roster in that case but he may progress quite well in the AHL.

That's a good point. I think he could eventually make the team this season though.

Archived