The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Yup, Hutton's a player to watch. I saw a couple of his games online last season and he surprisingly reminded me of Edler the way he manned the point. He positioned himself similar to how Edler does, ready to use his shot and focusing on staying in position ahead of physicality, yet still throwing some huge checks.

hutton lead all maine defenseman in points last year as a freshman, on a pretty veteran group of blue liners. Cassels and Hutton are set up to be the go to guys at their positions next year. I'm excited for both picks, under the radar with untapped potential.

Hutton was a great underrated pick. He will probably fill out to around 6'3 210. 3rd on his team in scoring as a freshman defenseman (one of those two players ahead of him was a forward drafted in the second round by Dallas). I am also excited about Cassels.

He's a good player. Even though other players were rated higher, his ceiling is really high. He's got everything in his corner to be a great player in NHL and with time and seasoning he could be top 6 for sure. great mind for the game and has the basic skill, speed and size to build upon :)

I found this a very strange pick... almost baffling. Many players were rated higher and had better stats.

Once you get to the 3rd round and beyond, the central scouting rankings become more and more meaningless. It's pretty much a crapshoot. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Cole seems to be a pretty good player who's about to get a much bigger role in Oshawa with centres Boone Jenner and Scott Laughton likely moving on to the pros. This upcoming season will be very telling of his actual ability.

Could end up as a good 3C if he can continue to develope his all around game and agitating skills, which he does bring to the table

Shinkaruk-Gaunce-Jensen

Schroeder-Horvat-Kassian

Labate-Cassels-Mallet

Archibald-Lain-Myron

If everyone keeps developing properly. Good mix of size and skill, probably have to change the system a bit by the time the lineup would be close to this. Probably not a lot of high end goal scoring skill though but a very solid 2 way team

WATCH THE GOAL AT 0:52

when i'm bored on the computer i pull this video up. really happy with this pick. i don't think it should be understated how much it could mean to this kid to follow in his dads footsteps and play in Van. A third rounder with extra motivation to be here? i'll take that any day.

• 5 weeks later...

Reminds me of Kesler and Hansen. Hard forechecker, solid two way player, nice shot, good passer, by watching him play he seems faster than all the other players, he looks like he is about 6'2 and 210 pounds (not sure though).

I don't know about you guys but he looks really good. Looks like he should have gone in the first or second round.

Reminds me of Kesler and Hansen. Hard forechecker, solid two way player, nice shot, good passer, by watching him play he seems faster than all the other players, he looks like he is about 6'2 and 210 pounds (not sure though).

I don't know about you guys but he looks really good. Looks like he should have gone in the first or second round.

He could be a steal but he is not that big a steal;

6'0" and 178 lbs. as listed on the Prospects page here at canucks.com

Archived