The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Really wanted Bjorkstrand, his upside made him interesting but I like Cassels. Playmaking, two-way centre. Makes plays with little time or space. An average skater but that something you can always improve on. Needs to get strong overall and especially his leg strength. Looking forward to his development

Here are two scouting reports on him:

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-blog/cole-cassels-splitting-image-nhl-dad/

Cole Cassels (C, 2013), Oshawa – clever two-way pivot who displays good vision .. thinks ahead – anticipates plays before they happen .. particularly effective distributing the puck from the neutral zone .. executes accurate and crisp passes – both forehand and backhand – and requires minimal time and space – can make it look effortless .. propelled by a looping skating style and moderate first-step quickness .. could add power to his stride – straight-ahead speed is average at best, however these areas should improve with physical maturity and added leg strength .. defensive instincts are sound which earns him time on the penalty-killing unit .. shows no fear blocking shots or sacrificing his body .. can excel neutralizing opponents along the boards with solid hits and checks, yet isn’t overly large or powerful at six-foot and 180 pounds .. must guard against letdowns however as he can become static in his own end at times .. must continue to refine his faceoff technique – clearly falls behind on draws .. needs to be encouraged to be more selfish about exploiting shooting opportunities as he too often tends to operate in ‘pass-first’ mode .. should benefit from a more sheltered role playing behind Boone Jenner and Scott Laughton – and not having to face top-line opponents every night.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Cole-Cassels

On a roster laden with offensive talents such as that of the Oshawa Generals, it is refreshing to see a player such as Cole Cassels flourish, one who prides himself on being more of an agitator and is a strong penalty killer. The son of former NHL player Andrew Cassels, Cole does not employ the same point production that his father had during his OHL career with the Ottawa 67's, but he has found himself to be useful in other ways. Cassels thrives on playing a physical game that allows him to be one of the more feared players on the ice when he is out there. He has really good skating ability and he is as tenacious as they come. His defensive game is quite sound and he has already demonstrated the leadership that his father had during his professional career. Cassels will find himself elevated to the top two lines in Oshawa next year with veterans such as Boone Jenner, Lucas Lessio and Scott Sabourin all leaving after this year. A player much like Sabourin himself, Cassels could surely find himself becoming more of an offensive producer as his ice time increases, especially if he is given the opportunity to play with Philadelphia Flyers first-rounder Scott Laughton, if the latter does not remain in the NHL next season. Cassels is a model teammate and he plays with such energy that it rubs off on all of his teammates.

Why did Bjorkstrand fall so far? He had 63 pts. in 65 games. I'll admit I don't watch him play but those numbers are really intriguing...

Plus, he's born in 1995 so he's one of the younger players in the draft versus a player like Hunter Shinkaruk.

JC Lipon is more understandable since he's born in 1993 and is question mark for being one of the older players. Also Bjorkstrand is only an inch shorter than the average NHL player, I'm thoroughly confused.

On the other hand, I'm stoked to see what Cassels can do! :D

Not upset with this pick, didnt know much about him before, looks good though long term pick!

I was hoping as you all were for Lipon or Bjork, but hey Cassels looks Decent, think we killed this draft.

Was a little surprised by this one, but he seems intriguing. Lots of good things said about him and perhaps some upside as well where he wouldn't just be an average 3rd liner but rather a solid 3rd liner who could fill in if needed as a 2nd.

Archived