The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Cederholm | D

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

Cederholm looked rock solid last night for the most part, he was on the top pairing 5 on 5 and the top PK unit, both with Pouliot and he also saw some time with #4, whose name escapes me. I didn't see any PP time but I missed bits of the game, don't really see him on the PP with that lineup of D men either. I think 'Crazy Legs' Dumba was on the 2nd unit.

He protects the front of the net really well although he could be a little less polite at times, especially in such a chippy game like last night. He did have a few good hits, blocked some shots and won just about every puck battle he was involved in without taking any penalties. One thing I like is that when he separates an opponent from the puck, he either calmly makes a quick play to a teammate, eats it or he puts the puck in a smart low risk place, fast and without any panic. He is significantly stronger than most of the guys he plays against.

He's a pretty good skater but he doesn't usually need it because he reads the play well, gets in position early and lets the play come to him, he plays very conservatively, no big dumb hits that don't accomplish anything but take the player out of position either. I only noticed one or two significant rushes up ice where he went really deep in the offensive zone because he's usually looking for an opportunity to peel off. He goes below the tops of the circles in the offensive zone about as much as Murray Baron did.

I think he's got a decent first pass but it's hard to say because a lot of times that first pass was to Pouliot. His role is pretty clear with DP, give him the puck and curl in behind, support and cover for him and do the heavy lifting down low and in front of the net. He's the Murzyn to Pouliot's Lumme.

This was only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen him since the Prospects camp but I'd say he's had a pretty good showing for his first season in North America if last night was any indication. His (ex-NHL) coach obviously trusts him with a lot of ice time in crucial situations and he has delivered so far, he plays a significant role on a team with arguably one of the best D corps in the country. (Guelph's D is pretty stacked as well as Erie is finding out)

Cederholm looked rock solid last night for the most part, he was on the top pairing 5 on 5 and the top PK unit, both with Pouliot and he also saw some time with #4, whose name escapes me. I didn't see any PP time but I missed bits of the game, don't really see him on the PP with that lineup of D men either. I think 'Crazy Legs' Dumba was on the 2nd unit.

He protects the front of the net really well although he could be a little less polite at times, especially in such a chippy game like last night. He did have a few good hits, blocked some shots and won just about every puck battle he was involved in without taking any penalties. One thing I like is that when he separates an opponent from the puck, he either calmly makes a quick play to a teammate, eats it or he puts the puck in a smart low risk place, fast and without any panic. He is significantly stronger than most of the guys he plays against.

He's a pretty good skater but he doesn't usually need it because he reads the play well, gets in position early and lets the play come to him, he plays very conservatively, no big dumb hits that don't accomplish anything but take the player out of position either. I only noticed one or two significant rushes up ice where he went really deep in the offensive zone because he's usually looking for an opportunity to peel off. He goes below the tops of the circles in the offensive zone about as much as Murray Baron did.

I think he's got a decent first pass but it's hard to say because a lot of times that first pass was to Pouliot. His role is pretty clear with DP, give him the puck and curl in behind, support and cover for him and do the heavy lifting down low and in front of the net. He's the Murzyn to Pouliot's Lumme.

This was only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen him since the Prospects camp but I'd say he's had a pretty good showing for his first season in North America if last night was any indication. His (ex-NHL) coach obviously trusts him with a lot of ice time in crucial situations and he has delivered so far, he plays a significant role on a team with arguably one of the best D corps in the country. (Guelph's D is pretty stacked as well as Erie is finding out)

+1 for the Murray Baron reference (Murzyn and Lumme too, well done).

And nice post thanks; I only saw bits of the game but not enough to learn anything.

I'm really excited to see him in a few years. I think he's got great potential to be a really solid contributor. Not #1 Dman territory by any means but a solid 4-5 guy who just does his job and does it well (while knocking opposing players on their buts ::D ).

I was curious about Cederholm in the WHL playoffs where he would consistently face the best opposition of the opposing teams. He has not disappointed so far. As a first year in NA player he has had an extremely well rounded season/playoffs in my eyes.

His normal partner is Puliot and it is apparent as stated before, that he is the back up plan to Puliot's offensive style. He only has 3 points in the playoffs compared to Puliot's 24, what you don't see there is the coverage he provides should Puliot make a mistake or get caught deep on a play. He is smart and reliable. He isn't flashy but at times can turn on jets or thread perfect passes through defenders and make you take a step back. He is always out on the PK and in the tough minutes. With those tough minutes and PK duty he is a +3 in the playoffs. He doesn't get much PP time due to the Winterhawks using a 4 forward top unit and having Dumba on the 2nd unit. Puliot generally stays out the entire PP.

His calm and responsible play reminds me of Tanev or by a stretch Hamhuis. He will not be a top guy, but he could very well be that perfect 2nd pairing type player all teams need.

I have been impressed all season with Cederholm. He as with any young player makes mistakes and has lots of room to learn. However, as a 5th round pick, he is far more than I expected as a player in the juniors.

Next season, if he is back in Portland, will be interesting. Puliot and Dumba will not be back and with the sanctions on Portland they have no high end draft picks to fill those gaps. Add in several high end forwards most likely not coming back to that. I think Cederholm and Garrett Haar will be relied on to carry the team defensively. It will be more telling to his talent and potential without such a talented team around him.

It would be interesting to see the Canucks somehow land Puliot and let them play together in the bigs. They have good chemistry together and work well in their own zone and in the opposing zone reading each other. That and Puliot is going to be a fantastic offensive D man someday (He is also excellent on his off hand side). Something we need badly.

cederholm reminds me a bit of Willie Mitchell when he played for Minnesota or his first couple seasons with the Canucks. Just a solid shutdown guy with a good physical game. Both are team first kind of guys too.

I like that comparison.

We could really use a D like Cedarholm now, although he won't be ready for a while. He can clear the net, skate decently for his size, make the safe play, think the game, and deal with any rough stuff. The rock-solid reliability he brings would do a lot to calm things down on our back end. Him and Tanev give me some hope that we will get beyond the shaky play we've gotten used to from our D over the past couple of years.

He plays like Chara defensively, and he has a booming shot but I don't think he has enough height or the intimidating physical play.

He fights the puck too much to use the shot consistently. Look at how he receives a pass and the time for him to settle it compared to other dmen

He fights the puck too much to use the shot consistently. Look at how he receives a pass and the time for him to settle it compared to other dmen

I agree with that completely. At the beginning of the season he didnt seem to fight it as much. As the season went on it got worse. When he gets it in his own zone his is calm and cool. When he gets the puck in the offensive zone he looks a little more shaky. Hopefully as he grows he gets more confident in the offensive side of his game. I really like the kid and hope he does become a solid D-man for the Canucks in the future.

I agree with that completely. At the beginning of the season he didnt seem to fight it as much. As the season went on it got worse. When he gets it in his own zone his is calm and cool. When he gets the puck in the offensive zone he looks a little more shaky. Hopefully as he grows he gets more confident in the offensive side of his game. I really like the kid and hope he does become a solid D-man for the Canucks in the future.

Yeah I noticed it too, in his own end he seems to settle it down quicker and get that outlet pass out quickly. I could see it as a confidence or pressure issue, as he's more comfortable in his own end. When he gets to O, he's less comfortable with the situation, and knows how talented the other 4 are when its guys like Petan, Pouliot, Liepsic, Bljorkstrand, etc. Hopefully with the graduation of Pouliot and Dumba he'll capture the opportunity of more offensive ice time

Archived