The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We're still the same team coming in next year. What are our options?

Sandro17

Shinkaruk and Horvat are great, but it'll be a year or two before they crack the line-up. What does this mean? It means that we're still the same team coming in this year as last year. Not exactly what I'd call a re-tool. The past 36 hours has been more like a re-shelf than anything.

If MG is going to re-tool this team he'll have to do more than draft well. Obviously his focus has been on drafting. I'm sure he'll start "The re-tooling process" ASAP. My question is, what are our options for the re-tool?

The Canucks are building towards the post-Sedin era. That's clear now more than ever before. Don't expect to be competing for the cup the next few years unless something spectacular happens in free agency.

I can see Horvat making the team... Shinkaruk may need another year. We have sort of forgotten about Guance, but I can definitely see him making the club next year... His size and compete level are what make me believe he can be that third line centre, or even winger next year. We are all of a sudden very solid in our blue chip prospect pool with Jensen,Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado.

I say start the season with Jensen Shredder Gaunce Corrodo Kass all in the line up helps to be cap compliant and gives Torts a chance to see what he's working with. Hold on to Max Lap in case Gaunce isn't ready. Trade Shredder if he's not ready either I hear the wild are high on him. All the while this gives BO and Shinny an opportunity to establish themselves in Utica. I personally also love the J Subban pickup he is going to be an electric AHL player for our future NHLers to learn from. If only he could hit a 3 inch 35lb growth spurt that would be amazing.

Youth and free agency bargains to complement the core, along with expanded roles for guys with potential (Booth when healthy, and Kassian) will most likely be all that the team can do with this tight budget.

The Canucks are building towards the post-Sedin era. That's clear now more than ever before. Don't expect to be competing for the cup the next few years unless something spectacular happens in free agency.

I'd say we're different based on the coach, one who won't beat a dead horse and will try different things if it isn't working.

Other than that, healthy Kesler, hopefully healthy Booth (finally), no more Raymond, and more young guys injected into our lineup.

Also 4m free + 4.2 million free from Ballard means we are likely going to make a free-agent signing or trade for a good player.

Young players can make an impact...you never know. Horvat might crack the the 3C spot.

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen.

Horvat is an awesome two way player and we all know how Torts loves his young guys, especially defensively responsible ones. We got our C spot taken care of, we just need a top 6 forward.

Exactly. He slotted in Derek Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Staal and numerous others right away so there's a good chance Shinkaruk and Horvat can make the team. Torts loves youth and he has a proven track record of playing youth and succeeding doing so, all while developing at a solid pace.

Archived