The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We're still the same team coming in next year. What are our options?

Sandro17

Young players can make an impact...you never know. Horvat might crack the the 3C spot.

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen.

Horvat is an awesome two way player and we all know how Torts loves his young guys, especially defensively responsible ones. We got our C spot taken care of, we just need a top 6 forward.

Seems to be were going to be icing a weaker team next year, with maybe 2 young guns making the jump full time. Corrado and i think Jensen will split time up here and in the AHL. I very much doubt either the of the kids we drafted are ready for a good 2 years or more. Maybe Horvat quicker but the last thing we want to do is rush them.

So yes im a little perplexed about what direction this team is going. We want in integrate young good talent on ELC in with our older roster the problem being by the time those kids are able to be impactful players your looking at in a good case a 35 year old Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, a 33 year old Hamhuis, A 37 year old Luongo.

The Cup Finals just ended two weeks ago. We JUST finished the Entry Draft, and haven't even hit Free Agency yet... which will be the big key to any retooling on account of teams needed to shuffle players around to adjust to the new cap next season.

Patience. We have a couple months worth of time before we hit the "OMG WE'RE TEH SAME TEAM AS LAST SEASON" panic mode.

I think the retooling that Gillis was talking about started with coaching. Torts is really good with young players and we shouldn't be surprised to see Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce, Schroeder and Kassian all lined up.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Schroeder Hansen

Jensen Gaunce Lapierre/Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Possibly the best roster we could ice at this point and it would be up to Torts to spread the minutes.

Also, we've never had the chance to see a Booth Kesler and Kassian line and that's one thing fans should be excited about. All big players that love to hit, playmaker in Kassian, finisher in Kesler and net presence in Booth.

Maybe I'm just hopeful, but I think the interjection of youth is what sparks this team.

go back in time, keep that first round draft pick that he traded for Ballard (a extra dman we didn't need, even at the time), and use that player now - that player should probably be seasoned enough to make an impact by now.

from now on, don't trade away first and second round draft picks for nothing anymore - that would be a great start. but if you are going to trade them away, don't trade them for tier-2 players, only give them up for tier-1 type players. sounds simple doesn't it?

2 choices: dev from within, or re-tool the chemistry.

1. Actually bring in the young kids this year and give them a real shot - something they never had with AV. Kassian and Shroeder have shown glimpses of being NHL players, same with Corrado - if we actually develop them (which the new coach seems good at) then that could be a good retool. And if Gaunce / Jensen make it, we are way ahead (although I would think their chance would be the next year:

2013/14: Schroeder / Kassian

2014/15: Gaunce / Jensen

2015/16: Horvat / Shinkaruk

that "/" is to designate an "or". I highly doubt all 6 of those players will make it - if 3 of them do we will be way ahead.

2. make trades like a mad demon. keep a small core and replace everything else cause what didn't work last year won't work this year. I guess give the new coach a few months to see what he can do with what is already here - and if there are issues, start shipping guys out aka san jose. re-tool the chemistry.

Won't know anything about this team until after Free Agency and Training Camp.

My guess is that there will be a slot open for one of the younger prospects to start, if they impress during camp. Whether they stick, that's another issue.

Hopefully our younger players can step up and Torts can get them motivated.

That will be the biggest area that will have an impact on whether we improve or not. That and an improved defensive game around our goalie.

Archived