The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police shoot and kill dog after arresting owner (Warning:graphic)

It's not hard to contain a dog, when you have 3 grown men.

The owner would be useless in that situation, consider he was already in handcuffs.

Worst thing that would've happened is that the owner would have gotten away, but won't likely have gone far, since there were a bunch of cops their.

I havent been around dogs my entire life, so if one half the size was coming at me, I would be very intimidated because its new to me. But in a split second incident like the video you cant think.

Reach for the taser some are saying? What if the cop did not have a taser. The gun is right there, right by your hip, thats the quickest thing to grab and defend yourself with. Right choice was made, the taser may not of even stopped the dog.

Owner is an idiot. Many dogs don't react well to policemen/people in uniform, why would you not secure your dog in a place swarming with cops?

The cop also overreacted, it's not like the dog came charging out of the car and immediately latched on, in fact, it didn't even really attempt to bite until the cop attempted to grab him. Stranger bending down reaching for any dog is a bad idea, but the dog just snapped at him... If it really wanted to it could've latched on to his face right then.

To the people who say "Wouldn't you do the same thing if you were the cop?" No, I would not, and I actually have been attacked by a Rottweiler, he latched on to my leg, then my arm and eventually dragged me down. As painful as the experience was I didn't get scared until I was down on the ground and the dog could rip into my stomach/neck, and I was a 20 year old 5'4 woman, not a cop trained to deal with dangerous situations.

Besides, unless you are a very small child/baby, or you are stupid enough to expose your neck/head to the it, even a large dog needs a fairly lengthy attack in order to inflict life threatening damage. If the dog had actually started latching on then sure, he or his coworkers would've been justified to shoot, but as I said, it looks like the dog only snapped a couple times when he attempted to reach for it.

While certain dogs can do serious damage they still aren't nearly as dangerous as an armed human. Dogs are still smaller and more fragile and when they attack the only weapon they wield is their teeth which is far easier to dodge then lets say a human swinging a baseball ball. And even if they do bite you they are completely exposed to being punched in the nose, kicked in the gut/ribs, or simply being grabbed and overpowered.

To me I feel a grown adult cop who has at least some training in self defense should be able to handle a dog without immediately resorting to shooting it. The cop shouldn't have felt threatened to that magnitude it really takes a lot for any dog to kill a human and statistically when you look at fatalities it's almost entirely children and the elderly. Reference

I myself am a dog lover and like other dog lovers I see them as creatures with personality cabable of earning statuses as parts of families. Because of this it would not be my own nature to pull out a gun on a dog unless it was absolutely necessary. Even if the dog managed to bite me and give me a few stitches in a situation like this I would still be hesitant to shoot it because I wouldn't need that much force to stop any dog outside of maybe a Caucasian Shepherd.

I understand why people would react in such a trigger happy way but I don't feel it's necessary force in scenarios like this one. I also go by one of my friends who works at a dog daycare/hotel and they have had stereotypical violent breeds bite and even attack workers sometimes including my friend and none of them had serious injuries or ever needed guns to gain control over the animal. Not to mention breeds like these are popular with people who don't train them well and cops all over the world likely go into environments with violent dogs and you rarely hear about situations playing out like this.

I don't condone what the owner did but I don't feel the cops had to shoot this dog ether.

Whoever said the dog's weight is the issue is dead wrong; the issue is the bite force.

I'm sure you wouldn't be fazed in the slightest if you were up against an agitated animal that can deliver a bite force of 328 pounds.

Archived