The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you view the chances of Sedins re-signing after seeing Alfredsson leaving the Sens?

TheRick

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People assumed that Alfredsson was gonna finish his career with the Sens because and I understand that Swedes were known for loyalty and would rarely change teams if they had a choice. After hearing his comments saying that he was selfish to win the Cup and getting paid 5.5 million next season, granted, the Sedins are still in their mid 30s, Alfredsson is 40 and we still don't know the exact reason why Alfredsson left, but would you view this as meh.. it's a business and you would not be shocked if the Sedins leave?

A lot easier to sign one Swede than it is signing two. With the salary cap what it is, a team would essentially need 12 million in cap space to sign only two players. Signing two UFAs at 5.5-6 million per season would be tough to do (I'm assuming the Sedins wouldn't go anywhere unless they went together).

I think it comes down to their mindset. They're a bit unique as well, in that they're a package... I don't think they could ever play on separate teams. That right there makes it difficult for them to move since you're not just signing one player. They've also taken pay cuts just to stay here, so who knows?

Personally, I don't see them wanting to play anywhere else in the NHL. They have a shot to win a Cup in Vancouver still, and they have the chance to lead the team to it and not ride the coat tails of another roster.

I love the twins but honest to God, if we don't do well next season, the Sedins may leave. And I'm okay with that.

Why? Because I want to see our younger players get slotted in to the top six.

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen

No, it's not a contending lineup. But that's the reality without Henrik and Daniel.

you said it yourself, Alfredsson is 40.

If the Sedins still don't have a cup here time they're 40 or in their late 30's I wouldn't be surprised if they left too

But I think there's a good chance they will resign, they're both 32 so i can see them signing something like 4 to 6 year deals and then leaving at the end of them to play elsewhere. Or possibly retiring if we win a cup during that time.

I think it's very realistic that they will go, not relevant to the Canucks being contenders or not.

Most mid 30 year old players seem to be making it a priority to sign for length. I can see the Sedin's willing to take a slight pay cut to stay in Van but if they are like most other players in this situations they may want 4-6 years on the contract with NMC's and the Canucks have been a very conservative team often avoiding any move with risk.

At least I feel that's what the decision will come down to.

Guest Cuporbust2

Sedins are already slow. They play a mental style game so they probably have a way higher shelf life than allot of other players. They can get older, lose speed and flexibility and not have it effect their game much. Allot like Wayne Gretzky. They share the same on ice vision somewhat. Not nearly as good as individual players as gretz, but similar in that they are so smart as players that they remain very reliable point producers for a very long time. I would keep them personally.

Gillis will resign them early this time around. Wouldn't be surprised to see them traded in their late 30s if we suck and they want one last crack at a cup.

We got good players in our system though so I don't see it coming to that.

I believe they will sign for one more term with Vancouver and then retire. The twins are unique to the NHL. They will personally not play for different teams and quite frankly, in today's salary cap market, they would be very difficult and expensive to sign elsewhere. As a family, they have kindled solid roots socially and are deeply involved in charity in the community. They exude so much character, respect for others and professionalism I believe they would find it difficult to leave the community.

They will remain Canucks

Archived