The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Help...was exposed to "safe level" of Asbestos

Soo with my job we are doing a reno, and it requires a demo..turns out Asbestos is present (reports were done), "safe" levels 0.01 -0.05 still says you should were a mask i was not,till notified

The boss and foreman knew,but i guess in the rush of things failed to tell me..(wtf)i was hammer-drilling a few holes before notified by 2 non company workers..it is my employers job to notify and train me when dealing with it,both they did not.

What should i do, should i document this and how(preferably not with the company), i have plenty people to back me on it ?

I think you're going to be fine, the company who gives the OK for workers to be there after an air-test would have to be pretty sure or they would be liable. At any rate you should call Mike Holmes, he will give you the best advice :) .

Most times the mask is a necessity when doing a demo anyways, they should have been making sure all workers doing demo were masked up just in case. As far as asbestos is concerned, if it's in the floor that is no big deal unless the floor is being tore out. Most times it just gets covered over because most companies/home owners would rather not shell out the cash for a cleanup. If it's in the walls and covering duct work, that is a different story because it is nearly impossible to not disturb it when doing a demo. If there is asbestos in the walls it should get cleaned out immediately. If it has already been cleaned out and the air-test reading is showing what little fibres are left in the air then you should be alright and the mask suggestion is just a precautionary measure. If the cleanup hasn't taken place, I wouldn't step foot back in that environment.

http://www.worksafebc.com/publications/health_and_safety/by_topic/assets/pdf/asbestos.pdf

Activities that carry a high risk of exposure to airborne asbestos fibres

include:

- Removing, encapsulating, or enclosing materials containing friable

asbestos during the repair, alteration, maintenance, demolition, or

dismantling of any part of a building, structure, machine, or piece of

equipment

- Cleaning, maintaining, or removing air-handling equipment in

buildings where sprayed fireproofing materials containing asbestos

have been applied to the airways or ventilation ducts or have been

used as spray-on insulation

-Removing asbestos-containing textured materials from ceilings or walls

- Repairing, altering, or dismantling any part of a boiler, furnace, kiln,

or similar device in which insulating materials containing asbestos

have been used or applied

- Using power tools (without water or dust controls) to cut or drill

through asbestos-containing materials

- Removing asbestos-containing vermiculite insulation

- Removing any asbestos-containing materials in circumstances where

there would be a significant release of fibres

Prana is right. If they didn't clean the area of asbestos prior to work, they would be putting every worker's life (quality of life at the very least) in danger, even if you had a high grade mask with hepa filter. If they did this knowingly I hope you do something about it before someone else gets put into the same position. The general contractor, your company and the company who did the original air-test are all liable (if the general contractor is the guy who did the air-test then he is a criminal and needs to get stepped on).

A few years ago I was renovating a house and destroying some walls and ceiling. It was dusty as heck and I was covered in white. Turns out it was asbestos. I did nothing about it and I'm fine. Pretty stupid of me I know. It's weird though, now I have X-Ray vision.

A few years ago I was renovating a house and destroying some walls and ceiling. It was dusty as heck and I was covered in white. Turns out it was asbestos. I did nothing about it and I'm fine. Pretty stupid of me I know. It's weird though, now I have X-Ray vision.

Archived