The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis' Intelligent & Quiet FA Day Makes Him a Winner

TheRussianRocket.

Really only a few players were worth goint after as ufas and they ended up getting way more than they should have. Gordon @ 3, Nystrom @ 2.5 even iggy at a bonus laden 6 are all a bit much to pay for 3rd / 4th liners.

Raymond absolutely would not fit here. Salary wise he has to be top 6 but he is too inconsistent and doesn't fit at all in the bottom 6. Atleast with Horvat he could pan out to be a solid 3rd line centre the team has lacked for awhile and maybe ready to move up the chart once the sedins retire or hang em up.

umm...

Gillis stood pat because he has no money to make moves

he has no money to make moves because he has traded for bad contracts.

While I don't disagree that the contracts that were handed out were stupid.....

I do find it interesting how handcuffing yourself into a corner can be spun as smart

Well, they can't suffer any more than we have over the last 3 years.

Also,

Gillis wasn't using judgement, he was just once more frozen by his ineptitude and the silly NTC contracts he has made. So, paint it like you want but the bottom line is most teams have improved and we have got worse AGAIN

"MG still has a couple of months before next season and plenty of time to fine tune the team."

Man, some people never learn. We have been saying these sort of things (based on Gillis's downright lies) for 3 years now.

The only thing that brightens the picture for me is our draft pickups and Richardson. Hopefully they can get us back on course.

"horvat/whoever > raymond"

Yeh right. Let's revisit that one at the end of the season.

Seriously... you need to give some credit when it's due.

You're saying MG didn't need to use judgement because of his 'silly' NTC contracts? Sure, but you can also look at it from the other side and say that we secured our core players with NTC's so that we wouldn't have to get involved with the frenzy that goes on each and every year. Maybe MG takes that into consideration when he makes these contracts so that he doesn't need to overpay for FA? If that player (core piece) needs a NTC but is willing to sign for less.... long term, we're better off because our cap stays low and we get to keep the players that want to stay. AND....it is very probable that any player with a NTC still gets traded, it's happened before and it will happen again.

How have we gotten worse?

- Kesler is fully healthy and will be starting with us when the season begins

- Booth should be as well (not sure about his injury status)

- all the spare parts that didn't work are gone

- Torts will utilize players according to their performance on ice....can't say the same for AV

- I would take Horvat/Gaunce/Shroeds/Kass/Jensen over Mayray during the playoffs (regardless of the position they play)

- PP and defense should be better now

- anyone > Barker

- Ballard wasn't used properly so him being bought out makes no difference

- We still have a #1 goalie between the pipes (anyone who thinks he won't show up is dreaming.... After a little time, Lou will realize that all the goodwill he's built throughout the league and the fans (not just CDC) will be forgotten and he'll be remembered for this one move....plus another Gold medal opportunity if he continues to play next season). He's a professional.... he'll show up and show the rest of the NHL teams that he's still one of the best and worthy of respect.

- our future is much better with Horvat than without

- we now have full control over the development of our prospects

Basically, our team is MUCH better with a healthy Kes and Booth! So....we are definitely better than last year at least ;)

umm...

Gillis stood pat because he has no money to make moves

he has no money to make moves because he has traded for bad contracts.

While I don't disagree that the contracts that were handed out were stupid.....

I do find it interesting how handcuffing yourself into a corner can be spun as smart

I'll take a spin, you could consider it as strategic positioning... I think of MG as a chess player, not checkers.

Neither of us know what MG's thought process is, but regardless, we would NOT be better off if MG had to pay the ridiculous salaries that were dished out today!

Gillis comes out of the day with one buyout contract still intact. He can sign Tanev and Weise with the CAP space available and then bide his time until fall. If Booth is still not good to go by camp he can go back on LTIR and Gillis can use Booth's CAP space for immediate help. Next year the CAP will increase again and the Canucks can re-up the Twins. My expectations for the coming season are no more than seeing the prospects get much more ice time. If the Canucks have another CUP push in them while the Twins are still considered 1st liners it will be two years from now.

I for one understand what Gillis is doing and do not think he could do any different. I took the time and went on Cap Geek and you'll see that every teams top 6 has either a no trade or a limited no trade. Good Players simply won't sign without it and it saves teams $$ . What is most evident is that these no trade clause are irrelevant anyways as players are constantly traded with these clauses.

Gillis has kept our D in tact ( probably top 5 in the league), goaltending ( if bobby stays) top 5, our top 6 is in the top 10 and now we have Guance ( dominated last year), Jensen (will be good with some AHL), Horvat ( bam), shinkaruk (bam x 2), we may even see a Calder candidate this year.

Our only issue is the 4th line . We will make the playoffs and we will get past the first round with this team. And just watch Gillis will sign the Sedins at a huge discount very soon!!

Well, they can't suffer any more than we have over the last 3 years.

Also,

Gillis wasn't using judgement, he was just once more frozen by his ineptitude and the silly NTC contracts he has made. So, paint it like you want but the bottom line is most teams have improved and we have got worse AGAIN

"MG still has a couple of months before next season and plenty of time to fine tune the team."

Man, some people never learn. We have been saying these sort of things (based on Gillis's downright lies) for 3 years now.

The only thing that brightens the picture for me is our draft pickups and Richardson. Hopefully they can get us back on course.

"horvat/whoever > raymond"

Yeh right. Let's revisit that one at the end of the season.

Gillis comes out of the day with one buyout contract still intact. He can sign Tanev and Weise with the CAP space available and then bide his time until fall. If Booth is still not good to go by camp he can go back on LTIR and Gillis can use Booth's CAP space for immediate help. Next year the CAP will increase again and the Canucks can re-up the Twins. My expectations for the coming season are no more than seeing the prospects get much more ice time. If the Canucks have another CUP push in them while the Twins are still considered 1st liners it will be two years from now.

I love that Gillis didn't throw around stupid money yesterday. He didn't because the team didn't have the cap space to do so, but that doesn't matter. In fact, I'd wager 5 Canucks (Higgins, Hansen, Booth, Kesler, Kassian) who make less than Clarkson will put up better numbers than Clarkson.

The signings of Richardson and Y. Weber were as money puck as you can get and I like it. Adding a RHD with a big shot means Corrado can get a bit more cooking time in the AHL and the Canucks won't have to play a LHD on his off side in the event of an injury to Bieksa or Tanev.

I don't know much about Richardson, but he has won a cup, can pot 10+ goals, and play solid defense. Sounds like a solid addition to the fourth line to me.

Richardson was a PIA against us in the playoffs two years ago. I didn't see much of LA this past season so was surprised to hear his comments he had fallen out of favour. Good pick-up.

Re Blum, I wonder if there is something going on there, if Nashville don't have a good story to tell about him or something. I thought he'd land here for sure, and doesn't appear anyone has picked him up. Or maybe the Canucks have had their fill of former 1st round reclamation projects. Not many work out.

“Uh, you know, I don’t know how to describe it actually,” Gillis began when asked about the gush of money from teams to players.

Mike, Mats Sundin wants to say thank you from Sweden for your prorated $5 mil for 6 months work (equals to $8.6 mill/yr, less than original $20m/2 yr - 'Vinny Lecavalier' type money). MG is calling the kettle black. He didn't spend big money because he had no cap space to spend. Although I generally agree to holding back during 1st week of free agency, sorry to disappoint, this wasn't intelligence. Had he had any cap space, with the pressure that he is under this year, I'm pretty sure he would have got caught up in the frenzy.

“Uh, you know, I don’t know how to describe it actually,” Gillis began when asked about the gush of money from teams to players.

Mike, Mats Sundin wants to say thank you from Sweden for your prorated $5 mil for 6 months work (equals to $8.6 mill/yr, less than original $20m/2 yr - 'Vinny Lecavalier' type money). MG is calling the kettle black. He didn't spend big money because he had no cap space to spend. Although I agree to holding back during 1st week of free agency, sorry to disappoint, this wasn't intelligence. Had he had any cap space, he would have got caught up in the frenzy ... guaranteed.

Archived