The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis' Intelligent & Quiet FA Day Makes Him a Winner

TheRussianRocket.

I agree too. Good job on Gillis for not going crazy... Just apalled by how much Filpulla and Clarkson got.. People need to realize that this will probably help the Nucks in the long run as a bad contract can haunt you for a long time.

But, lets give the GM who turned the Canucks into a destination team and playoff contender over multiple years the benefit of the doubt...

Our future's already better with the prospects and running the Comets....lots of other GM's for the Canucks had the opportunity to do this, but it happened during MG's reign.

Both are local guys that took a discount to come home and play in B.C..Both of these d men threw themselves at the Canucks.

In fact,most of our high end talent took 'discounts' to play here.

Which means that all these players expect Gillis and Gilman to provide them with complimentary players to help them win the cup.

Now that there is zero money to go into players that will help the aging core Gillis/Gilman have limited options and better make the limited moves count.

This team is treading water,at best.

Come on,Vancouver and British Columbia are the reasons these guys are coming home,not Gillis.

B.C. is the best place on earth and even Gillis or a Gillis pumper can't take credit for that.

I would say Hank and Dan giving a huge discount to Gillis (when he had no idea of their worth),followed by Alex Burrows really taking a hosing by Gillis for his desire to win, created the strength of cap room with an NHL dominant first line for peanuts.

Alex is now paid fairly and Gillis/Gilman have not kept the PP together by not recognising the d men that created it.

Yannick Weber is not going to replace Salo and Ehrhoff has never been replaced.

Gilllis inherited a great team that wanted to win together.That window closed two years ago.

Gillis can't go out and get big contract guys because of how tight our team is cap-wise already, but he has to be able to replace the players he's letting go.

So far, our team's offseason has gone as such:

OUT:

Raymond

Lapierre

Alberts

Ballard

Schneider

IN:

Horvat

Richardson

Webber

It's all well and good to say that young players will play in more important roles next season, but quite frankly Ballard was a better defenceman than Webber, Raymond was much better than Richardson and Lapierre was better than Horvat, not to mention our mess of a goalie situation right now with Luongo still undecided, no true proven NHL-worthy backup and no set starter.

Gillis still has a lot to do before the season starts. We have to fill some offence in our bottom 6 still, sign Tanev and fix up the goalie problem.

Come on,Vancouver and British Columbia are the reasons these guys are coming home,not Gillis.

B.C. is the best place on earth and even Gillis or a Gillis pumper can't take credit for that.

I would say Hank and Dan giving a huge discount to Gillis (when he had no idea of their worth),followed by Alex Burrows really taking a hosing by Gillis for his desire to win, created the strength of cap room with an NHL dominant first line for peanuts.

Alex is now paid fairly and Gillis/Gilman have not kept the PP together by not recognising the d men that created it.

Gilllis inherited a great team that wanted to win together.That window closed two years ago.

Tortorella and 'preferred destination' do not go together.Throw in the Coho saga and now the goalie fiasco that went on for 14 months and has still not been resolved.

Gillis has not done that well with prospects.In fact,in his first four years he tended to give them away.Nine draft picks were parlayed off,including a first for Ballard and two first rounders in Grabner and CoHo.

I liked how the province said that Gillis is showing financial restraint at the moment lol. How is not spending money that you don't have to spend showing financial restraint? In real life terms that's a true statement, but in terms of salary cap spending it's hardly the case.

I think the craziest contract sof ar has to be Boyd Gordon at 3yr/9 mil. I hoped Gillis could nab him for the 4th line a 3yr/5.5 or something like that. Crazy stuff...

I liked how the province said that Gillis is showing financial restraint at the moment lol. How is not spending money that you don't have to spend showing financial restraint? In real life terms that's a true statement, but in terms of salary cap spending it's hardly the case.

It wasn't all that great. Some tools were there, but they certainly weren't playing well.

Meanwhile, even if 'the window closed', what are we supposed to do? Stop cheering for the team? Assume they're doomed forever? Cry? What?

Life goes on.

After the Luongo debacle...I doubt we'll ever see a "bold" move by GMMG again.....could be good, could be boring, but I think the Canucks will be more of a prospect development team in the long term.

Moving forward, as the core group ages, we will probably see more attempts to trade for picks.....although the ridiculous number of NTC/NMC's are gonna be a problem

Archived