The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis' Intelligent & Quiet FA Day Makes Him a Winner

TheRussianRocket.

Which means what? They go from a bottem feeder to just slightly better? Not much of an improvement at all, not enough for the Canucks to worry about. They will probably be worse than last year (pretty good measuring stick to base 'improvement' on).

Besides, they made their moves before July 5th, they really havn't signed any notable free agents.

FTR; we should not be sending anyone down to kiss Lou's toosh.

He signed a contract! If he refuses to report; his $5.3 is plenty of space to improve the team in other ways. But more likely; a dose of humility (Lou is as much a part of the problem as MG and how this was handled as anybody) would go a lot farther than coddling poor Lou!

Which means what? They go from a bottem feeder to just slightly better? Not much of an improvement at all, not enough for the Canucks to worry about. They will probably be worse than last year (pretty good measuring stick to base 'improvement' on).

Besides, they made their moves before July 5th, they really havn't signed any notable free agents.

FTR; we should not be sending anyone down to kiss Lou's toosh.

He signed a contract! If he refuses to report; his $5.3 is plenty of space to improve the team in other ways. But more likely; a dose of humility (Lou is as much a part of the problem as MG and how this was handled as anybody) would go a lot farther than coddling poor Lou!

What it means is that they got better.

Whether they were a contending team was not what was being discussed. The discussion was about which teams improved their lineup after July 5th. Whether you think Dallas is better than last year or not, they are better than they were on July 1st...

I think Dallas has improved a lot actually.

Whitney Benn Seguin

Cole Peverly Chiasson

Eakin Horcoff Roussel

MacDermind Fiddler Ritchie

Rookies who might push for a spot: Faksa, Nichushkin, Button

Gonchar Goligoski

Daley Robidas

Dillon Jordie Benn / Rome

Rookies who might push for a spot: Oleksiak

Lehtonen

Ellis / Nihlstorp

They still have nearly 4 million in cap space, too. They played much better after trading Jagr and getting young guys into the line up. Keep in mind with the new playoff format, we are back to divisional playoffs and not east and west. The Canucks don't have to worry unless they push the Canucks out as a wild card. Still, I like what Dallas has done so far.

I'm not sure if you were around when the conversation started or not, but if you were, you should realize that the conversation was about which teams got better than they were before free agency began. I realize that the Seguin deal was on Thursday, but I don't see that as much different than free agent day.

Oh I agree. Gonchar is the big risk. If he shows his age, they have no one on the blue line who is any good as a power play point man. Maybe Connauton comes up, but I have my doubts he will be an NHLer this year. If Nichushkin is ready, maybe throw him on a line with Benn and Seguin to see how that works. Seguin needs to commit as does Benn since they both had off years.

Maybe it's the fact Jim Nill took over and it's nice to see Nieuwendyk not running the team anymore.

Not necessarily. If they lose players to free agency as well, they can certainly regress. This is how the whole conversation started. I made a post stating that only four Western conference teams were able to improve significantly. Others, while managing to sign some players, lost some as well, making their improvement negligible, if at all.

I for one understand what Gillis is doing and do not think he could do any different. I took the time and went on Cap Geek and you'll see that every teams top 6 has either a no trade or a limited no trade. Good Players simply won't sign without it and it saves teams $$ . What is most evident is that these no trade clause are irrelevant anyways as players are constantly traded with these clauses.

Gillis has kept our D in tact ( probably top 5 in the league), goaltending ( if bobby stays) top 5, our top 6 is in the top 10 and now we have Guance ( dominated last year), Jensen (will be good with some AHL), Horvat ( bam), shinkaruk (bam x 2), we may even see a Calder candidate this year.

Our only issue is the 4th line . We will make the playoffs and we will get past the first round with this team. And just watch Gillis will sign the Sedins at a huge discount very soon!!

Archived