The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] If Luongo demands to be traded.

To Montreal:

Roberto Luongo

Alex Edler

To Vancouver:

Carey Price

Raphel Diaz

Why would Montreal make this deal? Markov will probably bolt to Russia, once his contract end after next season. They will need someone to fill that void, insert Edler. They also drafted Fucale, who some scouts say is better than Price and we all know what happens when you have two capable number 1s. Luongo probably has 3-5 good years left in him, he can be the number one goalie for the Habs without anyone fighting for his job, until Fucale is ready. This will also give Fucale the opportunity to learn from one of the best in the game, when he breaks into the league as Luongo's backup. So, trading for Luongo would make the perfect sense for the Les Habitant.

Why would Vancouver make this deal?Vancouver will desperately need a starting goalie, if Luongo do decides he doesn't want to play for the Canucks anymore. Price, while not Luongo or even Schneider (debatable), he is still considered one of the best young goalies in the game and has yet to hit his prime. Diaz is a good 4th/5th/6th defensemen, with some offensive upside. He won't replace Edler's point production, but he does have a cannon of a shot and can play in any situation, plus he's right handed.

Not bad. Question is would he even want to go to Montreal?

I think that putting Edler into a package like this may be the only way we could get someone to take on Lui's contract. The main negative is that we then lose a top 4 defenceman and the last big trade chip we could use to get additional high end prospects and picks.

Personally, I think Aquilini should bite the bullet and buy him out so we can end this whole drama, both out of respect for Lui and all he's done for this team, and to keep our options open for the Edler trade chip. Other owners like Snyder in Philly and Wang on Long Island have done the right thing and fixed their mistakes. It's time for Aquilini to do the same.

I think that putting Edler into a package like this may be the only way we could get someone to take on Lui's contract. The main negative is that we then lose a top 4 defenceman and the last big trade chip we could use to get additional high end prospects and picks.

Personally, I think Aquilini should bite the bullet and buy him out so we can end this whole drama, both out of respect for Lui and all he's done for this team, and to keep our options open for the Edler trade chip. Other owners like Snyder in Philly and Wang on Long Island have done the right thing and fixed their mistakes. It's time for Aquilini to do the same.

I could see this happening if Montreal has given up on price. And Montreal is rich enough that they can buy Luongo out next season if it doesn't work out and they still have Edler as collateral not to mention Fucale who is supposed to be the next coming of Brodeur according to Button

1. Schneider was traded because no one wanted Luongo with his contract

2. If we could have traded Luongo for a deal such as the OP and many others are suggesting on here, clearly a deal would have happened.

haha the stupidity on the board astounds me sometimes. So a guy that was so untradeable less than a week ago that they had to trade Schneider instead will suddenly get you a young franchise goalie who is only 25 and likely hasnt even peaked yet. AND they get a supposed 50 point defenseman who's never actually hit 50 points who has not been the same since a serious back injury. Montreal also has the pleasure of taking on an extra $2.5 M in cap. Oh, and let's completely ignore the two NTC's ForLuongo and Edler

The difference between my deal and what Gillis is probably presenting to other teams, is that I added Edler as a package. Gillis wants to dump Luongo's contract, but teams aren't budging, unless we take back a bad contract in return. However, if we add in a top 4 offensive defensemen into the mix, maybe just maybe, teams will bite.

Who doesn't want an elite goaltender AND a 50+ points defensemen on their team?

Montreal is screaming for size at centre. Yesterday in an interview, Bergevin was calming concerns over the lack of size at this position. He said they are hard to acquire as other teams hold on to them.

I suggest:

Luongo,Lain for. Price

If Lain is signed for not more than 1.2, the cap going both ways would equal or close if signed for less.

I would prefer to keep our players and only propose this as an option to this post.

Perhaps Lars Ellar could come back our way.

Archived