The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Santorelli

Visp

Jordan Schroeder is going to make the Canucks for the upcoming season.

A former 1st round pick with speed & skill.

You don't draft a guy in the 1st round, spend 4 years developing him & then bail on him just as he's ready to become an NHL regular.

Schroeder & Kassian can't be sent to the minors again. They both have to have spots in the lineup.

Santorelli is also skilled enough, with enough upside that he pretty much has to make the team too.

Seems very unlikely that he could clear waivers to be sent to the farm.

Jensen can spend an entire season in the minors yet.

Gaunce can still spend a year in junior.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,429,833; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,870,167

Need another depth D, wouldn't mind Alberts back as the 6th D.

Room for 1 more forward, maybe Jensen or Gaunce or maybe another signing. Possibly Archibald or Blomstrand from the farm.

After St. Louis signed centers Roy (4m/1yr) and Lapierre (1.1m/2yr), I can't imagine that part of the planning was that Sobotka (rfa -1.3m/1 yr.) was the player to let go to make cap space for Pietrangelo and Stewart. The great stat's you listed are precisely why they should keep him, especially at his great cap hit. He is their number 1 left handed f/o man, much better than Roy, and he is already a solid 2 way lw/c with potential to get better. St. Louis has other options that make more financial sense to address their cap issue, imo, however, if he is indeed available for a 2nd at this time of year, I'm all in.

I still don't understand why people keep putting Gaunce or Jensen on the 4th line. No way this happens. Both are young scorers who need to develop their skills. They need to get minutes. That's not on the 4th line! If either doesn't make the top nine then Jensen goes to the AHL and Gaunce back to Junior. However with Booth injured they both have a good chance to make this team. Gillis has left the 3rd line centre up for grabs and Gaunce, Schroeder, Richardson and Horvat (long shot) will all have an opportunity to fill that role.

You're right that he's easily worth my lowball. Perhaps we'd have to add a B prospect or another pick.

The fact they signed two of our centers just doesn't make a great deal of sense given their cap space, unless they are intending to use Roy or Lapierre as a winger, which could be the case - Roy probably being a better candidate, because leaving him at center would appear to push Sobotka to the four C or wing, neither of which make sense.

Here's what I see with booth injured. Still have a few $ to sign an 8th D.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.000m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,822,778; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,639,722

Since when have Kassian or Jensen or an 18 year old draft pick been placed higher on the depth chart than Hansen?

Yo this is Jannik Hansen we are talking about right? The one who was 4th on our team's scoring last year? Not some other Hansen that I didn't know.

Kassian has to earn his placement like anyone else. If he doesn't put in the effort, he doesn't deserve the placement, no matter how much potential he may or may not have. If he doesn't want to get ousted by Jensen in the top six, he better come prepared and play hard and earn his spot.

• 2 months later...

I expected Richardson to bring a high level of energy, grit and a measure of upside, and I expected Santorelli to bring speed and a solid skillset, but what I didn't expect was Santorelli's overall effectiveness and ability to play such a strong game on the boards. That one shift last night where he pinned the puck for quite some time with three Coilers attempting to jar it loose was very impressive, but not an isolated thing - what a nice surprise how solid Santorelli is proving to be.

I expected Richardson to bring a high level of energy, grit and a measure of upside, and I expected Santorelli to bring speed and a solid skillset, but what I didn't expect was Santorelli's overall effectiveness and ability to play such a strong game on the boards. That one shift last night where he pinned the puck for quite some time with three oilers attempting to jar it loose was very impressive, but not an isolated thing - what a nice surprise how solid Santorelli is proving to be.

Archived