The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Seguin was traded due to excessive partying

You want to earn big boy bucks you have to act like a big boy. Like it or not, when you work in an organization that is in the spot light of the public, you can't be going out and putting yourself in positions that get you, the team and the organization who pays you into trouble. Shane O' Brien knows what I'm talking about.

Patrick Kane...didn't just party like a frat boy. He robbed a cab driver & was accused of assaulting people. That was cause for his team to be concerned. Most teams keep the identity of persons attending substance abuse programs.. very hush-hush. When things get out like this...you have to wonder if Seguin turned this option or other such overtures down. When substance abuse affects your job performance...there's always cause for concern. Didn't we just have a case before the courts in BC where a ferry operator was found guilty of sinking his vessel & killing 2 persons? Much of the testimony hinted that substance abuse was arguably one of the factors that lead to his negligence & likely impaired his judgment in the incident. Let's hope that the NHL & NHLPA have some very accessible programs in place to assist young hockey players with any of their substance abuse issues. Players like Derek Sanderson paid too high a price for their foolishness & then told their tales so that others could avoid similar pit-falls Pick-up his book & give it a read sometime - Tyler!

Exactly.

And to this thread: You're wrong. He was traded due to his lack of focus before games and because they were looking for cap room. Peter Chiarelli said it himself. He didn't have a problem with the partying

Honestly? So you don't connect the two? Obviously, if you've been on the run for 3 days and you then show up "for work", performance and focus are affected in that. People are right here - 21 year olds like to go out and party, but there are decisions in life to be made. If those choices are getting in the way of other ones, then you have to pick which path you're taking. Moderation - there's a way to still be involved with parties, etc. but be responsible in that. If it's a free for all and reckless abandon, then you might lose out on some other things. Dedication and commitment as well as natural talent are required in professional sports...guys that aren't willing to sacrifice a little probably likely aren't giving 100%.

It's his deal...he'll be fine either way. But, hopefully, he'll realize that this isn't a "given" and the opportunity he's being given is worth toning it down a bit for.

"Much of the testimony hinted that substance abuse was arguably one of the factors that lead to his negligence & likely impaired his judgment in the incident"

I'm not aware of any testimony to that effect. The Transport canada Investigation did investigate alleged off duty use by the crew as maybe a problem but noted no concerns. Also the RCMP did not do any drug testing after the sinking as they saw no problems.-Alcohol has been off limits up there on the boats for quite some time.

So this appeared on Tyler Seguin’s Twitter feed on Saturday night, before being hastily deleted:

"only steers and queers in Texas, and I'm not a cow."

Seguin, you’ll recall, was traded to the Dallas Stars on July 4 in a seven-player trade with the Boston Bruins, after Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli infamously said that Seguin had to “commit to being a professional.”

The quote is a line from “Full Metal Jacket,” director Stanley Kubrick’s classic war film. As the Sgt. Hartman said to “Private Cowboy” after he revealed he was from Texas:

“Holy dog[expletive] Private Cowboy, only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don’t look like a steer, so that kind of narrows it down.”

And it gets sort of hilariously vulgar after that …

Seguin later tweeted, as expected:

Why should we care about what appears on Seguin’s Twitter feed? Well, he was taken to task back in April for Tweeting “No Homo” as a joke, which led to a conversation with Patrick Burke, head of the sexual identity quality group You Can Play.

Said Seguin, in apologizing for the tweet:

“I think with myself, it was kind of late at night, just talking with my buddies, sometimes I forget that I’m on Twitter in front of a quarter-million people and not just talking to my friends. It’s just another learning experience.”

And so it is. Burke, at the very least, is buying that it wasn't Seguin:

Patrick Burke @BurkieYCP

It's obviously his moron "friends" grabbing his phone and projecting their stupidity all over his public reputation.

http://sports.yahoo....-040543275.html

The Dallas Stars released a statement on Sunday saying the club did not condone comments made on Tyler Seguin's Twitter account over the weekend.

A message from his Twitter account, @tylerseguin92, appeared on Saturday night that read, "Only steers and queers in Texas, and I'm not a cow."

The message, which is adapts a line from the film "Full Metal Jacket," was deleted shortly after it was published.

Later in the evening, an apology appeared from @tylerseguin92, reading, "Twitter hacking has to stop. My apologies."

The tweets appeared just days after Seguin was acquired by the Stars in a trade from the Boston Bruins.

"In no way, shape or form does the Dallas Stars organization condone or agree with the message that was sent out through Tyler Seguin's Twitter feed last night." read the team's statement.

"We've addressed the issue directly with Tyler and we'll continue to work on educating our players regarding the importance of their conduct on all forms of social media."

Seguin also apologized earlier this year for another controversial tweet that was sent from same Twitter account back in April.

On Sunday, he added he would be taking some time off the social media site.

"After repeated attempts by "hackers" to try to damage my reputation I have decided to shut down my twitter account for a while," he tweeted.

The Brampton, Ontario native was traded from the Boston Bruins along with Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to the Stars in exchange for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser.

Patrick Kane has been able to translate his hockey talent into hockey success. His party life seems to have little effect on his performance, unless he's just stopped partying this year.

Tyler Seguin sucks right now. He was useless for the Bruins this postseason. Compare him to Marchand, who can party and play well at the same time.

seguins kind of a head case (from a young age). I knew someone who was in 1 of my classes during first year university who went to St Mikes high school which is where Seguin went until grade ten or eleven and apparently Seguin was the most hated guy at the school. Apparently he was just an entitled prick who tried to bully anyone and everyone. Clearly that followed him to the nhl as theres been issues with maturity/etc associated with him

Did you even watch the bruins? Seguin played a pivitol role on a very strong third line during the playoffs. This trade is Joe Thornton all over again. Seguin is a young talented player. The Bruins got fleeced on this one. You don't throw away an asset like that for silly reasons.

Archived