The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Do You Feel Heading Into The New Season?

TheRussianRocket.

Disregarding any significant moves, the Canucks roster is basically set. Here is an appropriate outline of what we can expect heading into next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen

Higgins - Gaunce - Booth

Richardson - Santorelli - Hansen

Sestito/Weise/Schroeder

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Weber, Sauve/Fistric

Luongo

Lack/Eriksson

...this lineup is injected with veteran leadership, skilled players, and energizing youth that have all the blueprints which the past 5-6 Stanley Cup winners have had. Now I'm not saying this team should be one given expectations to win the Cup, no, but what I'm saying is it has the potential and recipe to despite what some people might think of it and despite the idiotic statements media will make.

Me personally, I'm putting expectations of making the 2nd round of the playoffs and anything short of that would be disappointing I guess. Anything more of that would be unexpectedly great and really, the realistic fact is we basically have an outline of our 2011 team with a new coach who will push our players to perform like no other. Ontop, we have top prospects who will develop and take over the torch in some few years and all in all, we are a wildcard team to win the Cup but certainly does have potential to do it.

What is your guys take on our team heading into the new season?

I dont like Kassian with the Sedins, his passing is horrible, loves to lose the puck or turn it over and he seems to sometimes just float around and not do much or use much effort. Unless he smartens up this off season and puts in a lot of training, I do not want him on our first line.

if anyone of you cared to watch ranger games you would know how boring they were....

im not looking forward to this years season torts is going to bring in a snooze fest system of block block block block

hes going to expect sedins to block shots

the teams super fragile 1 injury to any of the top 6's destroys playoff chance

burrows has proved to be the best fit with the sedins...the second line will be made up of some combination of booth, kesler, kassian, jensen, higgins or hansen.....torts to decide.....other than that, i feel fine...a little arthritis and shingles, but i'll get over them...

Interested in seeing the progression of the younger guys, what happens in Utica, if Booth ever recovers, Edler's rebound, and what Torts brings to the table, but overall, not too excited. If our young guys play well allofasudden, then my excitement level will grow.

But off-season isn't over yet. Trade possibilities loom.

I would agree with your expectations, seems like a realistic one. I guess we never know what could happen, I like to keep positive since there are so many negative thoughts being put out there, I just can't wait to enjoy some hockey. If they happen to go far, then great! But no matter what, I will always be behing this team.

I have mixed feelings...I don`t expect much offensive games since torts plays more defensive style game. the only thing i want is no serious injury before the playoffs games.. I want healthy full roster once the playoffs start.. anything can happen in the playoffs but my expectations are that canucks win atleast 1st round of the playoffs.

I'm stoked for this season. I wan't to see what this team can do with a coaching staff that is basically the exact opposite of what it was before. I think with Tortorella we will see a more consistent Edler and Bieksa, Tanev will continue to progress in a very solid top 4 D-Man, and Kassian will have a breakout year. But I think this will be a really exciting year for hockey in general with so many teams that have a good shot at making the playoffs. And with the new realignment it should be interesting to see what happens.

I REALLY don't like Hansen on the fourth line, I'd rather have higgy on that line. I think a player of his calibre should be higher. My lines as of right now would be:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Jensen

Burrows-Gaunce-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Weise

Sestito /Schroeder

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Tanev-Corrado

Weber

Luongo

Lack

Note: I would switch Kass and Burr but that would put two right wingers on the third line

Our top 2 lines really don't look that dangerous, but their production can be distributed to our bottom 2 lines.

As usual, I am looking forward to the clean slate of a new season. New bench bosses and rookies/prospects injected in our line up is nice to see. Obviously we are at a stage where there are still free agents out there who can contribute to our system and would love on our team (from a fan's perspective) but the decisions are ultimately management's.

We maintained our solid core for the most part (whether people like it or not) and I am fine with that. The new voices behind the bench will jump start the roster again.

As for expectations, I would love the Canucks to leave the bad first round memories behind and reach the 2nd round at the very least. We also need to play full 60 minute games against a tougher division with the realignment.

Archived