The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Do You Feel Heading Into The New Season?

TheRussianRocket.

I think we'll be hard pressed to make the playoffs. A lot of the west teams got much better.

Step in the right direction though letting the youth play, our old setup wasn't getting it done and we had the "SJS / WSH syndrome" of being good in the regular season and not so good in the playoffs.

As I have said elsewhere I feel more excited this year than for a couple of seasons. Mainly because we might discover some gold in our prospects through necessity.

Also we seem to have sorted our face off problem and if we can re develop our PP and get stiffer in defence (hopefully with Lu anchoring) then we may finally have some real progress.

We still have a core which is superior to most and I think if we have the guy in Torts we all hope we have, then the sky is the limit.

It's win win because if we stink the league out Gillis will have no more excuses and unfortunately be fired. I say unfortunately because I think he has much to offer the Club ............As long as it is out of reach of the team.

The most exciting thing would be having a new coach, attitude and hopefully the players buy in to this. Also, it will be interesting to see how the younger players and prospects develop.

However, as the roster currently stands this team will have a hard time making the playoffs in the West, as many of the teams have improved, while the Canucks kept to the status quo, or taken a small step back.

It may be awhile until we can be contenders again. That ship has sailed after bouncing out of the playoffs early the last two years.

Excited to hopefully see some youth - hopefully bigger youth. But aware that our team is weaker than before while other teams are getting better. Willing to wait out some growing pains if it means a younger, hungrier core is developed.

If we see that boring style of hockey like the end of last season, I'm not excited at all.

I want to see some of our young talent get a real chance for once. Hopefully the new coaching staff will allow for this.

Overall, I think our line-up is looking weaker than previous years, but if the rookies break out, it could be interesting.

Personally, it doesn't look good heading into next season from my perspective. I like their back end - probably one of the best in the league. I won't touch the goalie situation except to say their season rides on Luongos 'decision'. They have a coach who doesn't seem to believe in puck possession - in a league which only the top possesion clubs win Stanley. But it's the 3C spot that's the biggest concern IMO.

This is officially the 3rd straight summer I've wrote "need to get a quality 3rd line centre or this teams not going far in the playoffs". How is it possible that they have been unable to retain a decent 3C for 3 straight years? They've given up a 2nd round pick, two 4th round picks and a top prospect in search of one. They've tried old declining guys, young inexperienced guys, wingers and depth players. None of have been successful. Will a 19 yr old prospect who's never played an NHL game grab the spot next season? The probability is extremely low. Is Brad Richardson a 3C? His underlying #'s say he's a notch below Lappy. If Lappy couldn't grab the spot, what's the likelihood Richardson could?

If they don't pick up a quality 3C, we'll all be posting here weeks before 2014 trade deadline talking about which centre they need to pick up and how much it will cost IMO. For the 3rd consecutive year. The pattern is getting old, it's beyond frustrating to watch.

Disregarding any significant moves, the Canucks roster is basically set. Here is an appropriate outline of what we can expect heading into next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen

Higgins - Gaunce - Booth

Richardson - Santorelli - Hansen

Sestito/Weise/Schroeder

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Weber, Sauve/Fistric

Luongo

Lack/Eriksson

...this lineup is injected with veteran leadership, skilled players, and energizing youth that have all the blueprints which the past 5-6 Stanley Cup winners have had. Now I'm not saying this team should be one given expectations to win the Cup, no, but what I'm saying is it has the potential and recipe to despite what some people might think of it and despite the idiotic statements media will make.

Me personally, I'm putting expectations of making the 2nd round of the playoffs and anything short of that would be disappointing I guess. Anything more of that would be unexpectedly great and really, the realistic fact is we basically have an outline of our 2011 team with a new coach who will push our players to perform like no other. Ontop, we have top prospects who will develop and take over the torch in some few years and all in all, we are a wildcard team to win the Cup but certainly does have potential to do it.

What is your guys take on our team heading into the new season?

Talent-wise, the line-up looks pretty similar to last year and the year before that. But this time we have a new coach, hopefully we see 06-07 Bobby Lu, Booth when he was with the Panthers and 2011 Kesler. Basically if everyone has a decent year, I could see us making it past Round 2 at least.

It's really hard for me...I love the Canucks to death and I've very much a "This is the year" kinda guy.

This season is the first one in a while I'm not going into it expecting greatness. Arguably we're a worse team this upcoming season than the last two seasons, but who really knows? Maybe Torts is the answer, maybe some of the young guys will shine, maybe we'll finally stay healthy, maybe Luongo plays like he did in 07, maybe we catch fire in the playoffs...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm cautiously optimistic this season

Feeling better than last season actually, we drafted really well and the future looks bright. I like the addition of Santorelli and think he can be our 3rd line centre with Booth on the wing knowing that there was chemistry between those two in the past. Brad Richardson plays a good two way game which is always welcome, he will also take less penalties this Lapierre which will be great even though I will miss Lappy.

If Gaunce makes the team that will be great too as he is incredible defensively and is like a young Ryan Kesler right behind the actual Ryan Kesler in Centre depth. The thing I like most about Gaunce and what makes him my favorite prospect is that he is mature way behind his years. This not only allows him to be the great leader that he is but he is also a great speaker which comes from his maturity. I find the answers he gives in interviews are really intelligent and he always knows what he is talking about and gives straight answers. To be that wise, and that talented of a player at that young of an age is something rarely seen.

I like the addition of Yannick Weber. A young guy with a big right handed shot like Salo, that I have a feeling will make an impact on the team. He also can play as a forward too which is interesting. All in all I think we will do better than in this past shortened season and am looking forward to seeing guys like Booth and Kesler possibly bounce back this year and (fingers crossed) stay healthy.

Feeling better than last season actually, we drafted really well and the future looks bright. I like the addition of Santorelli and think he can be our 3rd line centre with Booth on the wing knowing that there was chemistry between those two in the past. Brad Richardson plays a good two way game which is always welcome, he will also take less penalties this Lapierre which will be great even though I will miss Lappy.

If Gaunce makes the team that will be great too as he is incredible defensively and is like a young Ryan Kesler right behind the actual Ryan Kesler in Centre depth. The thing I like most about Gaunce and what makes him my favorite prospect is that he is mature way behind his years. This not only allows him to be the great leader that he is but he is also a great speaker which comes from his maturity. I find the answers he gives in interviews are really intelligent and he always knows what he is talking about and gives straight answers. To be that wise, and that talented of a player at that young of an age is something rarely seen.

I like the addition of Yannick Weber. A young guy with a big right handed shot like Salo, that I have a feeling will make an impact on the team. He also can play as a forward too which is interesting. All in all I think we will do better than in this past shortened season and am looking forward to seeing guys like Booth and Kesler possibly bounce back this year and (fingers crossed) stay healthy.

More optimistic than usual. (Wait until Tanev gets signed first..l)

I don't see the need for pessimism when it comes to watching pro-sports.

Won't affect the outcome.

My reasons:

-New coach. Probably the biggest reason. Can't say if things will be better or worse results wise.

But the approach will hopefully be different. (Torts isn't exactly an AV clone).

Potential for more accountability, tighter D, discipline with stupid penalties, playing on merit rather than seniority.

If we lose, it won't be cause we got outworked.

-End of Goalie "Controversy". Though overblown, this media sideshow is now sorted (sort of)

-Full season. Half season screwed things up. Affected the trade market. Skewed the standings. (ie Anaheim isn't THAT good)

Harder to assess your team properly and make the necessary changes in half the time.

-Youth. Management and coaching have acknowledged that this will be a vital part of philosophy going forward.

About damn time.

Archived