The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins Future

Tangerines

With the team going in the direction of getting younger, and the ridiculous contracts that were issued yesterday does anyone see the Sedins being moved for something at the trade deadline next year? I would love for them to play out their whole careers here in Van and retire as Canucks, but I'm just wondering how much they would ask for, and what the terms of their contracts would be when its time for their deals to get renewed? Also wouldn't this be the best time to trade them that way the return would be greater? I'm not in any way suggesting that they should get traded either. Just wondering what my fellow Canuck fans think about it. When the time comes a decision will be made either way. What would be the best decision for this team now, and for the future regarding this topic?

With the team going in the direction of getting younger, and the ridiculous contracts that were issued yesterday does anyone see the Sedins being moved for something at the trade deadline next year? I would love for them to play out their whole careers here in Van and retire as Canucks, but I'm just wondering how much they would ask for, and what the terms of their contracts would be when its time for their deals to get renewed? Also wouldn't this be the best time to trade them that way the return would be greater? I'm not in any way suggesting that they should get traded either. Just wondering what my fellow Canuck fans think about it. When the time comes a decision will be made either way. What would be the best decision for this team now, and for the future regarding this topic?

Looking at what teams have previously done when their star players have aged, I would imagine that all depends on how this season goes. The new alignment now has us in a tougher division, and if we are going in the way of youth injection, we have no idea how that will end up. It could either work amazingly, and players like Jensen, Gaunce, and even Kassian (under Torts) could transition perfectly into the NHL.

Or it could go the direction of completely backfiring, and we put prospects in that were not exactly ready for NHL action just yet, in which our team struggled out of the gate and now is fighting for that last playoff spot. In that instance, it would be down to Gillis and co. to decide what's best for the future.

The Sedins could fetch us a lot in return at the deadline, but could easily stay and then walk to FA for nothing in return. They're not that old yet, and I'd rather keep them for another 1-2 year deal for both of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go in a different direction, depending on how this season goes.

I really like the Sedins, I do, they've given so much to this city, and I respect them for that, however, when it comes to running a hockey-crazed market in Vancouver, and making the best decision for the team, I can understand where trading them would make sense.

if the twins are traded i might take a year or two off from watching the nucks.

People say trade them while they have value or they end up retiring and we lose them and get nothing but the reality is they gave us a lot esp keeping there contracts down to help ice a better team.. they sacrificed a lot for the team and community and they better retire canucks and immediately have there numbers in the rafters....

When they donated to 1M to charity, that is kinda of a sign of commitment to stay in Vancouver. Also there is no garruntee that they will both be on the same team if they are to leave Vancouver and they will probably regret leaving if they were to be splt-up.

If the Canucks were a sinking ship like the Flames, MAYBE they will demand a trade or sign elsewhere like how Iginla is doing, but look how successful he is at chasing Cups.

I just think this team needs a young superstar(s) to take over for the Sedins after they start to decline. It happens to every player eventually. The only way to achieve this is through a trade unless we bomb and get a first or second overall pick. This team needs a Galchenyuk, Kane, or MacKinnon in order to continue on respectfully in this league. I think trading the right player at the right moment can get us a good return for the future.

I would trade them before the deadline next season for a first and a A prospect each, (we arent going to win the cup with next years roster.) and under the CONDITION that they understand that they are doing it to benefit the team for the future, and resign in the off season.

This BENEFITS them as they can join a team that is competing for the cup, and they would complete any top 6. They have a chance at the cup and can return home in 2 months. And then mentor some absolute studs they brought in.

This way we gain the sedins back + 2 first rounders, which could be traded up in a package, and 2 'A' prospects. And one of them more likely than not would have won the cup, which would bring more experience and leadership.

I would trade them before the deadline next season for a first and a A prospect each, (we arent going to win the cup with next years roster.) and under the CONDITION that they understand that they are doing it to benefit the team for the future, and resign in the off season.

This BENEFITS them as they can join a team that is competing for the cup, and they would complete any top 6. They have a chance at the cup and can return home in 2 months. And then mentor some absolute studs they brought in.

This way we gain the sedins back + 2 first rounders, which could be traded up in a package, and 2 'A' prospects. And one of them more likely than not would have won the cup, which would bring more experience and leadership.

Archived