The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins Future

Tangerines

well fine but if they stay theyd better learn how to fight. beat the crap out of a few players to make themselfs more respected, otherwise we will have adam burish and brad marchand bullying them around in the playoffs again

Doubtful that the Sedins will be traded; however, it's not impossible. Gillis will probably field offers to see what the market is for them, come deadline. I would like to see the Sedin's sign a 2 year deal worth 5 million each. They want 1 year deals until they retire, but it would be easier for the Club to ensure two more season with them. Then, our youth will be more developed and be able to take on larger roles and we can decide if it's best for the Sedin's to be traded (lesser value), or they retire, or they sign for dirt cheap and play 2nd line minutes.

Again, anything above 5 million per season is too much for our Club. If they want more money, which I don't think they will--they are the two MOST classy and professional guys in the League. They'll take another discount to keep with the team. Next two numbers retired: #22 & #33.

The sundins are far to soft to win it all. look at them, every playoff they get pushed around. and there getting really old. I think we should ship them off for maximum return before they slow down massively, we could get a killing in return

I don't think they should be traded. But, for the sake of discussion, if you disregard the class they have shown for the team and community, and accept the possibility (however slim it may be) that they allow themselves to be traded, how much could we really get?

Teams generally try to get grittier at the deadline, in preparation for tighter playoff hockey. Adding the skill and style of the Sedin's is no small undertaking for a team. I think it would take a big adjustment for the receiving team, and that kind of change is tough to make quickly.

Someone made a point about taking on 12M in cap, and how hard that would be for a contender. Definitely agree this would reduce the teams that could take it on, although a major injury on the receiving team could help with cap.

Given those two points, I'm not sure there would be a lot of teams ready to make the kind of deal that would be worthwhile for the Canucks and also has any hope of the Sedin's returning. Is it worth taking a chance that they like another team/management/city better? Ok, not city... Vancouver is just too good.

Also, if they are repeatedly rented out, as some posters suggest, all that playoff hockey tires them out more, making their chances of a Canuck Cup run less likely. If there is any hope of the twins winning a Cup with the Canucks, I believe their odds are better if they never leave as rental.

I like the odds even less if they get PO'd over a request to trade them, and move home. Let's show some class, work out the best deal possible for them and the team, and do the best we can to win the Cup.

Teams generally try to get grittier at the deadline, in preparation for tighter playoff hockey. Adding the skill and style of the Sedin's is no small undertaking for a team. I think it would take a big adjustment for the receiving team, and that kind of change is tough to make quickly.

Someone made a point about taking on 12M in cap, and how hard that would be for a contender. Definitely agree this would reduce the teams that could take it on, although a major injury on the receiving team could help with cap.

And for the record...they may not lay out guys but they're plenty tough.

As for the cap hit... the shrinking cap is a bit of a problem but if they were to get moved at the deadline (the only time there's even the slimmest of hope that we trade them), the pro-rated cap hit for BOTH of them is under $3m (with ~20 games remaining). You trying to tell me no team will have that (especially with injuries)...?

I don't disagree in the slightest about their toughness... they put up with a lot. I just was pointing out that they aren't agressively tough, like Iginla, or most of CDC's playoff wonder-boy, Raffi Torres.

I'm not as cap-wise as I would like, but I find it hard to believe it works that way. I'm not saying you are wrong, but what you describe seems like an unfair way for solid teams to get stacked come playoff-time. It would encourage activity at the deadline though for bigger names... maybe that is a desired result of that ruling. I'll take your word for it for now, until someone proves otherwise.

That's how it works chief. Their original team pays them for ~60 games of 82. The trade team pays them for ~20.

20/82 = 24.39% of the season (or salary the trade team must pay/have pro-rated cap space for).

$12.2m x 24.39% = $2.98m (give or take a few days/$100k)

Archived