The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did Ebbett get all the hate he did?

мeтpо

For me it was more about AV always playing Ebbet in situations above his head. Ebbet should not have been on our Second, Third, or even Fourth line. He was a call up that should have been used in the case of injuries, yet somehow AV managed to make him a regular over some of our younger and or more physical players. Its move AV decisions that I hated not Ebbet himself.

Well I think its pretty clear that on most nights we could have iced a better lineup without Ebbet dressed, after all it was the coaching decisions that CDC didn't like, so that would have meant there was other options.

And that is one weak argument about us winning more with Ebbet in the lineup, in what way did he contribute to the teams success, that anyone in the pressbox couldn't?

If it was anyone other than Nuck Nit making the case for Ebbett, I'd probably listen.

This guy has been sucking up to the guy since October, I don't know if he's paying you an eighth of his salary to endorse him on the site?

You keep bringing up what his salary? Jordan's on his rookie contract and was making 500k more than Ebbett. OHMYGODDDD I KNOW RIGHT 500 FREAKING THOUSAND MORE THAN EBBETT. We could have used that to sign Parise last Summer... oh wait, it's just 500k, Giving a rookie playing time in the bigs, and letting him make mistakes, is worth the extra half million we spent.

Ebbett's been around the league and unless the next few teams he plays on (Cause believe me he's not sticking with one) gets the plague, he'll never be better than their 9th forward.

I know he has played well given top 6 minutes in Anaheim, but those days are behind him, If he were 6'3 instead of a few inches taller than Jordan, I'd be all for playing him, but he wasn't suited for his role, thus taking minutes away from a prospect who wo0uld do exactly the same thing. Only with offensive potential.

Oh whoops, I forgot who you were, so I won't expect you to remember the passes this guy dished out this year. He's a playmaker, not a sniper, goals are a bonus, setting them up is a priority

It always makes me laugh when I see a kid who's held more joysticks than hockey sticks talk like he knows better than an NHL coach, his GM and the entire scouting staff... :rolleyes:

What "roles" would those be? Seems to me that the Canucks won more than they lost with Ebbett in the lineup...

???? Why do you think he was used?

Kesler and Malhotra were both out for most of the season. An injury replacement is exactly what Ebbett was.

No one was questioning his work ethic. But i didn't think he was that good. Maybe its the role or the situation he was put in. I thought Schroeder did a better job when he was up here. (Canucks I mean)

Well I think its pretty clear that on most nights we could have iced a better lineup without Ebbet dressed, after all it was the coaching decisions that CDC didn't like, so that would have meant there was other options.

And that is one weak argument about us winning more with Ebbet in the lineup, in what way did he contribute to the teams success, that anyone in the pressbox couldn't?

Clear to whom? You? If you had your facts straight, you'd realize that Schroeder played more games than Ebbett did and averaged more minutes per game. Ebbett was only called up when Schroeder was struggling and wasn't replaced late in the season by Schroeder because of the injury to JS.

There was no-one in the "pressbox" who had the NHL experience that Ebbett did. Despite what the CDC armchair experts might think, experience counts in the NHL.

Right. Your vast experience with NHL 2013 means more than three NHL general managers and virtually every sports analyst, who predicted that AV would be hired right away after being let go by the Canucks.

I'll keep it to the point and general...(don't see a point in making a detailed post)

He was basically a filler (good for under 5 games on any given line). He was obviously not a physical presence for the bottom 6 and was continuously put on lines where he didn't fit in. Ex. 4th line (energy line), 2nd line (when better options were available)

Wait, so he wasn't replaced late in the season?

Anyways, If i remembered correctly Schroeder played great when got sent back down. I thought he should've stayed up. I thought the injury thing was when the season ended. It was kind of dissapointing is what most ppl feel.

Ebbett was a great player to have around as a 13th forward since he could play centre and had some decent hands. However with the loss of Hodgson and Malholtra, and with Kesler being injured most of the time, Ebbett received a regular role that was a bit over his head. Though, I do agree that CDC had an irrational hate for him and his 4-6 mins a game thinking it was the cause of most losses.

Though one thing that puzzles me is why Maxim Lapierre didn't get a bigger role when we had to resort to using Raymond and Burrows at centre.

Archived