The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cliff Ronning son Ty Ronning hoping to make Vancouver Giants

Ex Vancouver Canucks player Cliff Ronning, has a son named Ty Ronning, and he hopes one day he can win a Stanley Cup. Ty Ronning who is 15 years old was drafted by the Vancouver Giants in 2012, but is hoping to make their team this year. He isn't big like Cliff either, right now he stands 5"8 160 lbs, same height as Cliff, but when he was drafted he was 5"5 and 130 lbs. Ty has set goals, and one of those goals is making the Giants, and he is hoping he can achieve that.

How should Vancouver Giants fans love Ty Ronning? Let him count down the ways.

The son of beloved Vancouver Canuck Cliff Ronning, the Giants’ first-round bantam pick from two springs ago has been routinely checking off the days remaining until training camp on Twitter (@tyronning7).

You won’t find a junior player who says he’s not excited about the coming season. Ronning just seems a little more amped up than most.

“I’ve set goals,” said Ronning, who doesn’t turn 16 until October. “My dad has always told me to set goals. My first goal is to make the Vancouver Giants. It’s a big goal. I think I can do it. There’s a spot open. It’s up to me to take it.

“I’m working really, really hard. Really, really hard.”

It feels like he’s been a bit forgotten in Giants land right now. There was hype about bringing in Minnesota high school hotshot forward Alec Baer late last campaign, and then the club selected Alberta scoring ace Tyler Benson and Russian defenceman Dmitri Osipov with the first picks in both the WHL bantam draft and CHL import draft, respectively, this offseason.

More attention could be coming, too, if the Giants end up recruiting rearguard Tyler Nanne, 17, the grandson of Minnesota North Stars legend Lou Nanne, away from the NCAA route.

Consider this, though: Ronning, who was all of 5-foot-5 and 130 pounds when Vancouver used the 15th overall selection in 2012 to get his rights, is now 5-foot-8 and 160 pounds. He says he’s up at the crack of dawn every day to work out, and that he’s skating regularly with former Giants Gilbert

Brule and Kenndal McArdle, a couple of guys with NHL experience.

Ronning didn’t make his major midget team last season. It’s unusual for a first-round bantam pick. He doesn’t make any excuses about it. He went to play with South Delta Secondary hockey academy team instead, which is run by Giants strength and conditioning coach Ian Gallagher, but a recurring wrist injury limited him to a handful of games.

Ronning says he’s fine now. He says the year gave him time to get stronger. It certainly sounds like it made him even hungrier.

Ask him about his personal trainer, and he shoots back three different names: Gallagher, Kai Heinonen and Angelo Scigliano.

That’s where he is at.

“You’ll see at training camp,” he said.

He comes at this from a different spot than most. He was born in Phoenix while his father was playing for the Coyotes. He says it was mom, Ivana, rather than his father who started him in hockey. Cliff wanted him to be a golfer or a doctor.

He remembers hanging out with the Nashville Predators mascot all the time when his father was playing there, and getting to ride the Zamboni during the intermission on his seventh birthday.

If he makes the Giants, he’ll play for Don Hay, a coach his father had with the Phoenix Coyotes. If he makes the Giants, he’ll play in a rink where his father starred with the Canucks and played a chunk of his 1,137 career NHL regular season games.

He understands that there are expectations that come with his last name, particularly in this city. He seems to own it. He seems to welcome the challenge.

Asked which jersey he wants, he picks No. 7, the one his father wore for the majority of his NHL career.

“I want to think that it’s my journey, but my dad wants what is best for me and he’s going to help me, too,” said Ronning. “I want to win a Stanley Cup one day. I want to make him proud. The same with my mom.”

These are interesting times for the Giants. They’re coming off a dismal season and they’ve amassed some young talent. Included in that are several medium-to-smallish forwards, with Ronning, Baer, Anthony Ast, Carter Popoff, Jakob Stukel, and Thomas Foster.

They have some decisions to make about style, or personnel, or both. And it really feels like Ronning is going to give them loads to consider.

• 1 month later...

Archived