The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Will Detroit Fare in the Eastern Conference?

We all know the Detroit Red Wings have been dominating the past decade plus and have a blueprint for success around the league. This was however with them playing in the West. Now that they are moving to the Eastern Conference next season, do you think Detroit will slow down or excel?

Detroit is known as a puck possession team and it's what most teams are in the West. However in the East, teams play much more aggressively and recklessly and it's a much more uptempo, fast paced, offensive game. With that, Detroit ultimately has to decide whether to adapt to the East or let the East adapt to them and it's going to be intriguing to see what happens. I personally think the Wings are too good especially under Babcock that they'll keep their same style of gameplay and still succeed while making Eastern teams adapt to their style of game instead of vise versa.

Detroit plays that puck possession game too well for fast up tempo to get to them. They control the flow of play like no other team in the west on top of that possession game. No question they'll do fine and probably extended their playoff run by a few more years.

The wings are now in the easier conference, so I think they should do just fine. Their style of play will force other teams to adapt to them. I see them winning their division this year, and have the best chance at making the final 4.

Archived