The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Andrew Alberts why not sign him?

As a player Alberts probably feels he can play a starting 5-6 spot, and with the Canucks veteran D plus youngers (Tanev & Corrodo) maybe he thinks the Canucks isn't the best for for playing time OR MG can't sign him to a decent contract worth taking e.g. 2 years at 3 million.

My guess is MG would love to re-sign Alberts but his current price is beyond what the Canucks can afford. They probably need to look for a physical 5-6 spot D man for under 1 million

I doubt Corrado is ready for a full season. Technically we only have 5 full time nhl d men if you count Tanev who I'm on the fence about Frankly if he were offersheeted I might take the picks. Tanman is one big hit away from concussion issues. I seriously don't know how he gets up from some of the hits he takes? He wont be able to do that forever. its great that he's calm with the puck but he can't shoot or hit like I probably could count every hit and shot he took last season on my fingers and toes.

We have 4 players to sign to make 23 player roster. And 5.14mill cap room

Shredder 1.3mill

Wiese 800k

Tanev 1.6mill If he's offer sheeted more compensation is a 2nd rnd pick I'd take it.

Which leaves 1.4mill more than enough to sign Alberts.

There are a few options out there right now if we are looking for that bruiser type of dman that are UFA. O'Byrne, Murray, Fistric and Alberts. If Alberts believes what people are saying in that he was one of the better dmen down the stretch and he made 1.1 million last year, I can see him looking for a 1.5-2 million dollar contract with a top 6 spot. I do not think he is worth that. Fistric will probably the cheapest of the bunch and would make more sense as the #7/8 guy. O'Byrne will probably be too expensive, but of course he's the best of the bunch. Murray is interesting, but it depends how much he is looking for.

A disgrace. Stupid. This is the only guy who could mandle Backes when the going got rough and the Canucks were looking like the old Nonis softies again. Alberts is an excellent 6-7th Dman and the type of Dman WE DONT HAVE! I hate losing... and getting beat up doing it. Gillis is a moron.

I wouldn't really mind him on a cheap contract, no real other depth LH D. I still think Corrado should spend the season and Utica and we should try for Fistric (once Tanev, Schroeder and Weise are signed), if we can find the cap space for it

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Fistric-Tanev

Alberts-Weber

Corrado can still come up in case of injury. Alberts also brings a much different game than Weber, much more physical and defensive, which can be better for a depth defenseman sometimes. But only if you can get him cheap, if you have to pick between Fistric and Alberts I'd take Fistric

We have Garrison who can handle those players just fine. IMO our offence may suck, but we have a really good D core and Alberts may not fit in to that plan.

Our Top 7

Hamhuis

Edler

Garrison

Bieksa

Tanev (hopefully)

Corrado

Weber.

Never thought I'd see the day when we have more RD in our top 7 than LD

Archived