The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks out on Blum, still chasing Fistric

Fistric is actually significantly bigger then Alberts at 233 (15 pounds up). He is also an even heavier hitter, and consistent with it.

Also unlike Alberts, he is more than willing to drop the gloves and actually has some fighting skill. Leadership qualities as well (former Giants captain with Memorial Cup experience).

Every team needs at least one D that fits this mold, no-brainer signing.

Fistric is actually significantly bigger then Alberts at 233 (15 pounds up). He is also an even heavier hitter, and consistent with it.

Also unlike Alberts, he is more than willing to drop the gloves and actually has some fighting skill. Leadership qualities as well (former Giants captain with Memorial Cup experience).

I thought Alberts had some good games last year. The more ice he got the more solid he appeared. My issue with Alberts was he wasn't that great a scrapper. Fistric played a season for the Moose as Dallas property. He is bigger and if he can be a banger and scrapper that is great stuff.

Every team needs at least one D that fits this mold, no-brainer signing.

I'd have nothing against us getting Fistric, he's a big body that can be used 6th/7th d-man depending on the opponent. And surely at a reasonable price too.

Not overly excited, as in a joy-joy-happy-joy -way. But close.

But anything to make me forget about Alberts A.S.A.P, is welcome.

The good thing about having Torts is that now our entire defense will be held accountable. Garrison and Hamhuis play amazingly well in the defensive zone and their d-partner's always make mistakes. I expect Bieksa and Edler to be called out in front of the entire team quite a bit, something that AV should have done hundreds of times.

The Rangers defense was not as good as ours but Torts got them to play solidly. So I don't think it really matters who is the 6th or 7th guy, the coaches will get them playing the right way or they sit.

Damn, I would have loved to get Blum, he's a right handed defenseman too! I don't know about Fistric, can he play the right side? If not, that would mean Garrison would have to play the right side which isn't good.

We need defensive depth BADLY right now. Corrado and Tanev are slated to be playing 15-20 minutes with the Canucks which is scary. Although Tanev may be a full-timer now, Corrado definately is not. Ideally, I'd like to see Tanev, Corrado and two other depth defencemen split 82 games around 40-40. Sadly Weber really isn't capable of playing 40 solid games, whereas we know Tanev is.

Alberts would have been perfect for that 40 game, 6th defenceman role, but we lose Ballard and Alberts and have replaced them with Weber. MG needs to sign one or two guys on the blueline, preferably veteran D-men to complement and groom our younger defencemen, because right now we're 2 injuries away from a complete disaster on the back-end. Say Hamhuis goes down and Edler bangs up his back:

Tanev - Bieksa

Garrison - Corrado

Weber - ?

Oh boy...

We need defensive depth BADLY right now. Corrado and Tanev are slated to be playing 15-20 minutes with the Canucks which is scary. Although Tanev may be a full-timer now, Corrado definately is not. Ideally, I'd like to see Tanev, Corrado and two other depth defencemen split 82 games around 40-40. Sadly Weber really isn't capable of playing 40 solid games, whereas we know Tanev is.

Alberts would have been perfect for that 40 game, 6th defenceman role, but we lose Ballard and Alberts and have replaced them with Weber. MG needs to sign one or two guys on the blueline, preferably veteran D-men to complement and groom our younger defencemen, because right now we're 2 injuries away from a complete disaster on the back-end. Say Hamhuis goes down and Edler bangs up his back:

Tanev - Bieksa

Garrison - Corrado

Weber - ?

Oh boy...

Tanev - Bieksa

Garrison - Corrado

Weber - ?

Oh boy...

Tanev - Bieksa

Garrison - Corrado

Weber - ?

Oh boy...

Archived